Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,885,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole View Post
You have nt answered my question, ...
Nor do I intend to. I've wasted enough time on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:26 AM

63,951 posts, read 40,245,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Nor do I intend to. I've wasted enough time on you.
Reasoning with unreasoning credulity is extremely frustrating. It is interesting how many try to do just that, though.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,286,552 times
If God is all knowing and hence has a purpose for everything, and we know that the "eye is for seeing" then wouldn't we know other unknowns?

If we don't know other unknowns then how can we be sure that there is a purpose behind them.

And hence know a purpose for a God?

Conversely, wouldn't there be reasons/ends/"this QUA this", for combinations of things? What is the end for a table and a rock combined. Surely a God would know what to do with that?

Or the most important: humans. What is our end? What were we designed for? There are many different thoughts about that.

I think of it like this:

If Humans created a Robot the Robot would know who the creator was. We would be one of its "God." However if the Robot was sentient and was curious about the world, it would then be asking the same questions we are now. It would ask where Humans came from, and we wouldn't be able to give a straight answer.

Kierkegaard believed in God but had doubts. The doubts behind the design or teleological argument were too strong and so he relied on faith, not in easily broken down arguments.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:07 AM

27,676 posts, read 28,781,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
If Humans created a Robot the Robot would know who the creator was. We would be one of its "God." However if the Robot was sentient and was curious about the world, it would then be asking the same questions we are now. It would ask where Humans came from, and we wouldn't be able to give a straight answer.
The straightest answer is that humans evolved from non-human animals over millions of years.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:18 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,842,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I believe the Design argument is very well presented as an alternative to
the theory of evolution.

With all the millions of different varied creatures and plants on this earth
and they each have a different role to play, it is impossible (at least for
any rational thinking person) that pond skum or a couple of amoebas could
have planned all these plethora of differences in the animal and plant
kingdom up. There is just no way all of this could have come about by
chance. The odds are so against chance (and I'm talking scientifically
here) that all the varried species are what they are today by chance is
just not rational.

I truly believe in Intelligent Design.
Even the Discovery Institute does not consider the design argument as an alternative anywhere near as robust as the TOE. They present it as merely a 'challenge' to evolution.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:35 AM

126 posts, read 81,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I believe the Design argument is very well presented as an alternative to
the theory of evolution.

With all the millions of different varied creatures and plants on this earth
and they each have a different role to play, it is impossible (at least for
any rational thinking person) that pond skum or a couple of amoebas could
have planned all these plethora of differences in the animal and plant
kingdom up. There is just no way all of this could have come about by
chance. The odds are so against chance (and I'm talking scientifically
here) that all the varried species are what they are today by chance is
just not rational.

I truly believe in Intelligent Design.
No offense, but this is again another perfect example of the "I don't understand how it happened or I can't conceive of how it could happen, therefore god did it". It's not a good argument at all. Even if the theory (not hypothesis) of evolution didn't even exist and we had absolutely no idea how the diversity of life came to be, just attributing it to a supernatural being without evidence is not an answer..it is just an "easy" answer to a big problem. This is what I/we call "god of the gaps"..there is a gap in our knowledge so many theists simply just place god in there. The god of the gaps used to be huge, but now he grows smaller with every passing decade and century. Indeed god of the gaps for scientists creates an even bigger problem than what it was intended to solve...now we scientists have to explain a supernatural being in an alternative plane of existence that supposedly had no creation and can magically create matter and energy at will.

I find one of the biggest problems christians have with evolution is simply the time scale. Evolution did not happen in a human lifetime..not even a thousand human lifetimes..but hundreds of millions of years. It is hard for even evolutionists at times to imagine the time scale, because we are biased towards a human lifetime, that is natural. Within a single lifetime we can see evolution in bacteria, viruses, finches etc..indeed even we have done our mini evolution with our agricultural produce and dog breeds...so now multiply by this by a not a million years..but by hundreds of millions.

Last edited by Rationalism; 02-21-2012 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-21-2012, 12:22 PM

646 posts, read 635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rationalism View Post
No offense, but this is again another perfect example of the "I don't understand how it happened or I can't conceive of how it could happen, therefore god did it". It's not a good argument at all. Even if the theory (not hypothesis) of evolution didn't even exist and we had absolutely no idea how the diversity of life came to be, just attributing it to a supernatural being without evidence is not an answer..it is just an "easy" answer to a big problem. This is what I/we call "god of the gaps"..there is a gap in our knowledge so many theists simply just place god in there. The god of the gaps used to be huge, but now he grows smaller with every passing decade and century. Indeed god of the gaps for scientists creates an even bigger problem than what it was intended to solve...now we scientists have to explain a supernatural being in an alternative plane of existence that supposedly had no creation and can magically create matter and energy at will.
I find one of the biggest problems christians have with evolution is simply the time scale. Evolution did not happen in a human lifetime..not even a thousand human lifetimes..but hundreds of millions of years. It is hard for even evolutionists at times to imagine the time scale, because we are biased towards a human lifetime, that is natural. Within a single lifetime we can see evolution in bacteria, viruses, finches etc..indeed even we have done our mini evolution with our agricultural produce and dog breeds...so now multiply by this by a not a million years..but by hundreds of millions.
THAT TAKES FAITH!!!
This makes it quite clear why some people BELIEVE in evolution.
A car factory is a fact. No one BELIEVES in a car factory. It is inescapable.
By putting the theory out of the range of any possible investigation, you call upon nothing but faith for acceptance and belief.
You, therefore, have no reason for knocking our faith.
Goddidit is a lot better than Nobodydidit.
The argument for intelligent design stands stronger than ever!
Try answering the question in Post #50, this thread.

Wilson.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:31 PM

27,676 posts, read 28,781,386 times
Quote:
By putting the theory out of the range of any possible investigation, you call upon nothing but faith for acceptance and belief.
This is not true at all. You can examine fossils in sedimentary rock layers for evidence of evolution over hundreds of millions of years.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:32 PM

33,575 posts, read 37,209,077 times
Quote:
THAT TAKES FAITH!!!
This makes it quite clear why some people BELIEVE in evolution.
A car factory is a fact. No one BELIEVES in a car factory. It is inescapable.
You, therefore, have no reason for knocking our faith.
Goddidit is a lot better than Nobodydidit.
The argument for intelligent design stands stronger than ever!
Try answering the question in Post #50, this thread.

Wilson.
LOL, the theory of evolution is as much a fact as a car factory..It can be seen, measured and predictions can be made on it. It is as plain as the nose on your face...I cannot imagine how hard you and other creationists must work to continually deny something so obvious....That not only take faith, but one has to be willfully blind.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:37 PM

33,575 posts, read 37,209,077 times
Regarding your question in post #50, it is such a ridiculous strawman it doesn't deserve an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality