Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:25 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times

Advertisements

When it says God formed man from the soil of the ground and breathed into him the breath of life, was God an amoeba or a knuckle dragging chimp?

Could a group of amoebas conspire to create a human with all its increddible intricate design? Could a knuckle dragging chimp?

Last edited by Eusebius; 03-09-2012 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 10:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Of course neither amoebas or primates designed, planned or in any way 'created' humans. The theory (whether you accept it or not) is evolution through the naturally occurring mechanism of process natural selection.

Any meaningful discussion of the evidence for evolution vs. Goddunnit would require first that you at least understand the theory, or the theist side of the debate would merely be sound and fury and not much else.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Of course neither amoebas or primates designed, planned or in any way 'created' humans. The theory (whether you accept it or not) is evolution through the naturally occurring mechanism of process natural selection.

Any meaningful discussion of the evidence for evolution vs. Goddunnit would require first that you at least understand the theory, or the theist side of the debate would merely be sound and fury and not much else.
Let me begin by saying I absolutely believe in evolution.

However, I do not believe that natural selection is the mechanism of evolution. Note that all ends of natural selection result in minor physiological or even superficial characteristics. the classic example of natural selection was a particular moth in London, which was primarily brown, with a few individuals who were black. Come the early industrial age, and all that soot everywhere, and practically overnight the predominant color of the species is black.

Breeding dogs does not result in evolutionary change. It does not lead to new species.

Hence my argument that natural selection is not the mechanism of evolution.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

O.K. AREQUIPA,

What was the very first stage from which every animal that ever existed on this earth came into being?

Who started the very first stage.

In National Geographic they state, as a matter of fact, that all animals started from a single cell. I kid you not. Here is what they say:

Ker Than
for National Geographic News
Updated May 14, 2010 (first posted May 13, 2010)
All life on Earth evolved from a single-celled organism that lived roughly 3.5 billion years ago, a new study seems to confirm.

The study supports the widely held "universal common ancestor" theory first proposed by Charles Darwin more than 150 years ago.
(Pictures: "Seven Major 'Missing Links' Since Darwin.")
Using computer models and statistical methods, biochemist Douglas Theobald calculated the odds that all species from the three main groups, or "domains," of life evolved from a common ancestor—versus, say, descending from several different life-forms or arising in their present form, Adam and Eve style.
The domains are bacteria, bacteria-like microbes called Archaea, and eukaryotes, the group that includes plants and other multicellular species, such as humans." (end of quote).

If you say amoebas then you must figure that amoebas somehow were able to design millions of different animals from dynosaurs to the teeny dust mite.

Surely you are not going to tell me that all the millions of DIFFERENT animals today from worms to dust mites to dynasaurs to humans all had the very same parent!

Amazing that they used a computer to determine that every living creature on the earth today came from the lowly amoeba or microbe . . . a bacteria-like microbe.
They used a computer to prove this. A computer! Is that real proof? They used statistical methods. Is that real proof?

Last edited by Eusebius; 03-09-2012 at 11:20 AM..

Old 03-09-2012, 11:18 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Surely you are not going to tell me that all the millions of DIFFERENT animals today from worms to dust mites to dynasaurs to humans all had the very same parent!
It's called a universal common ancestor. Based on current scientific knowledge, all life that has ever existed on earth came from a universal common ancestor which lived sometime between 3.5 and 3.8 billion years ago.

It was a single-celled organism. But it looks like you just beat me to it, so there you go. :-)

Old 03-09-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It's called a universal common ancestor. Based on current scientific knowledge, all life that has ever existed on earth came from a universal common ancestor which lived sometime between 3.5 and 3.8 billion years ago.

It was a single-celled organism.
Thanks for your post. I am now fully convinced. I'm sure it came with a birth certificate stating who the Parent was.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:27 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Let me begin by saying I absolutely believe in evolution.

However, I do not believe that natural selection is the mechanism of evolution. Note that all ends of natural selection result in minor physiological or even superficial characteristics. the classic example of natural selection was a particular moth in London, which was primarily brown, with a few individuals who were black. Come the early industrial age, and all that soot everywhere, and practically overnight the predominant color of the species is black.

Breeding dogs does not result in evolutionary change. It does not lead to new species.

Hence my argument that natural selection is not the mechanism of evolution.
You are on the right track believing in evolution, but wrong about the part natural selection plays in it.... It is natural and sexual selection that are the driving forces of evolution...

If not natural selection, what do you think drives evolution?

Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Thanks for your post. I am now fully convinced. I'm sure it came with a birth certificate stating who the Parent was.
Since this is a Christianity forum, I'll just say that mainstream Christian churches today accept the science of evolution but believe that it was guided by God. So, it's theistic evolution.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Since this is a Christianity forum, I'll just say that mainstream Christian churches today accept the science of evolution but believe that it was guided by God. So, it's theistic evolution.
So for 3.6 to 3.8 billion years these amoebas were having a little skum party and for the last 10,000 years, BAM they suddenly got their act together and humans and animals appeared. I like that evolution. Sort of all of a sudden but evolution none-the-less. "One giant step for man, one giant leap for mankind" kind of thing.

Last edited by Eusebius; 03-09-2012 at 11:41 AM..

Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
So for 3.6 to 3.8 billion years these amoebas were having a little skum party and for the last 10,000 years, BAM they suddenly got their act together and humans and animals appeared. I like that evolution. Sort of all of a sudden but evolution none-the-less.
Astounding!...One really shouldn't discuss a subject that they have absolutely knowledge about. Exploring Life's Origins: A Timeline of Life's Evolution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality