Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 08:53 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times

Advertisements

I believe it was rifleman (™) who pointed out to me earlier in another thread that humans are generally taller than they were just a few hundred years ago, indicating that evolution is continuing to this day.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I believe it was rifleman (™) who pointed out to me earlier in another thread that humans are generally taller than they were just a few hundred years ago, indicating that evolution is continuing to this day.

What Rifleman didn't tell you is that humans are generally smaller in certain parts of the world, darker in certain parts of the world, fatter in certain parts of the world, and all of the above in certain parts of the world.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
What Rifleman didn't tell you is that humans are generally smaller in certain parts of the world, darker in certain parts of the world, fatter in certain parts of the world, and all of the above in certain parts of the world.
Well, where is the link to the scientific information that humans are smaller (than they used to be) in certain parts of the world? I don't know why darker would be a counter-indicator of evolution, but which research organization come to this conclusion? Much of the industrialized world is overweight, and that has been in the mainstream media in just the past few weeks, so I would ask for a link. However, the comment had nothing to do with one part of the world vs. another. Humans in general are taller than they were a few hundred years ago. It's a general statement, unrelated to what part of the world has darker or fatter people. Mr. R probably has some statistics (being that he's a scientist and all).

Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Here is more science for you to disagree with Mickiel...

New mutations. Until recently, anthropologists thought that human evolution had slowed down. But last December, Hawks reported that it has actually accelerated 100-fold in the past 5,000 to 10,000 years.

For example, the capacity to digest lactose, the sugar in milk, has become common only over the past 3,000 years. Now, about 95 percent of the people in northern Germany have the mutation, which also popped up independently among the Masai in Africa and the Lapps in Finland. Hawks says: "This is really rapid evolution." Where Is Human Evolution Heading? - US News and World Report

Old 06-25-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Well, where is the link to the scientific information that humans are smaller (than they used to be) in certain parts of the world? I don't know why darker would be a counter-indicator of evolution, but which research organization come to this conclusion? Much of the industrialized world is overweight, and that has been in the mainstream media in just the past few weeks, so I would ask for a link. However, the comment had nothing to do with one part of the world vs. another. Humans in general are taller than they were a few hundred years ago. It's a general statement, unrelated to what part of the world has darker or fatter people. Mr. R probably has some statistics (being that he's a scientist and all).

I need no links for this, common sense is enough for me, along with observation. Asians and Chinese are naturally smaller than most people in the world, and that has absolutely nothing to do with evolution; it has to do with design. Certain African tribes are taller than any people in the world, which has absolutely nothing to do with evolution, it has to do with design.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I need no links for this, common sense is enough for me, along with observation. Asians and Chinese are naturally smaller than most people in the world, and that has absolutely nothing to do with evolution; it has to do with design. Certain African tribes are taller than any people in the world, which has absolutely nothing to do with evolution, it has to do with design.
You are either lying or having an awfully lot of trouble understanding the statement I passed on from rflmn. The statement is that in general humans are taller that they were a few hundred years ago. I wouldn't have thought that was hard to understand, but here we are; several posts later, and you still haven't figured out that what he said was that Asians are taller now than Asians were a few hundred years ago, Caucasians are taller now that Caucasians were a few hundred years ago, African tribesmen are taller now than members of those same African tribes were a few hundred years ago. rflmn (a scientist) says it is reflective of Evolution.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
You are either lying or having an awfully lot of trouble understanding the statement I passed on from rflmn. The statement is that in general humans are taller that they were a few hundred years ago. I wouldn't have thought that was hard to understand, but here we are; several posts later, and you still haven't figured out that what he said was that Asians are taller now than Asians were a few hundred years ago, Caucasians are taller now that Caucasians were a few hundred years ago, African tribesmen are taller now than members of those same African tribes were a few hundred years ago. rflmn (a scientist) says it is reflective of Evolution.

Well I disagree with Rifle.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:38 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Quote:
So, you're assuring us that only taller, smarter, slimmer etc. are "improvements:" in a human Evolutionary sense?

Q # ∞: what comprises hominid "Evolution" to you, Mickiel?

As in: Would you... could you, possibly, explain just one simple element of The Evolutionary Process to us, and where it goes so horribly wrong? Technically I mean, not spiritually or emotionally or in contradiction to your KJ bible version?

Be specfiic and to the point please.

(Oh- ohhhh... There! I did it again. Asked him another simple question! Anyone else keeping count here? It's beyong my ability, those really big numbers we're getting up to now... )

Old 06-25-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
So, you're assuring us that only taller, smarter, slimmer etc. are "improvements:" in a human Evolutionary sense?

Q # ∞: what comprises hominid "Evolution" to you, Mickiel?

As in: Would you... could you, possibly, explain just one simple element of The Evolutionary Process to us, and where it goes so horribly wrong? Technically I mean, not spiritually or emotionally or in contradiction to your KJ bible version?

Be specfiic and to the point please.

(Oh- ohhhh... There! I did it again. Asked him another simple question! Anyone else keeping count here? It's beyong my ability, those really big numbers we're getting up to now... )

You keep asking me where evolution went wrong, I see no wrong in evolution, do you? You got people thinking that the height of humans is due to evolution, which is erroneous in my view. Human height is a design, thats the ONLY reason why men on average are taller than women, because thats how God wanted it. The only other thing which effects height is environment, diet, genes and bone structure. A human can wake up in the mourning and be taller, walk around during the day and get shorter; or grow from exercise or shrink from health problems.

And you know this.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
You keep asking me where evolution went wrong, I see no wrong in evolution, do you? You got people thinking that the height of humans is due to evolution, which is erroneous in my view. Human height is a design, thats the ONLY reason why men on average are taller than women, because thats how God wanted it. The only other thing which effects height is environment, diet, genes and bone structure. A human can wake up in the mourning and be taller, walk around during the day and get shorter; or grow from exercise or shrink from health problems.

And you know this.
For the third time today I'm reminding you that this is NOT was was asserted. Was WAS said was that humans are taller now than they were a few hundred years ago. It has nothing to do with which race or ethnicity is involved, nor does it deny that men are (usually) taller than women. This generation is generally taller than 15 generations ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.