Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:00 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Happening quickly and all the time , I view as extreme exageration. Listen, just because we believe in something, we have no need to exagerate it. When Theist use exageration, Atheist always notice it and bring that out; you are simply exagerating evolution far beyond what it is. Evolution is not happening all the time; its waning and filtering out all the time if anything.
Do you have a reading comprehension problem?
He said
Quote:
Well, the evolution of life on a significant scale doesn't happen over decades. It doesn't happen over hundreds of years, or even thousands of years. It takes millions of years. Deep time like the kind required for evolution to be visible is not within the realm of human experience.
As quickly as ever means that it takes millions of years to see substantial changes.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Happening quickly and all the time , I view as extreme exageration. Listen, just because we believe in something, we have no need to exagerate it. When Theist use exageration, Atheist always notice it and bring that out; you are simply exagerating evolution far beyond what it is. Evolution is not happening all the time; its waning and filtering out all the time if anything.
I know that you have said that you are new to the belief in evolution, so before you continue to spout nonsense about it like...I see no changes in my family or others...You should at least learn a bit about it before you elevate yourself to some kind of expert on the subject...So far it is obvious that you know very little.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:15 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Maybe there's a misunderstanding, so let me try another angle:

Imagine you're watching a snail move very, very slowly. So slowly in fact that it takes an hour just to go 7 inches. That's awefully slow, right?

Now, imagine that you keep watching that snail for a million years. Do you know how far it would get in that time? The answer is it would have circled the earth more than 40 times.

I use the above example to illustrate by analogy the kind of pace that evolution happens at. To us, the pace feels painfully slow. But given the timescale of evolution - which is millions of years - even that painfully slow pace eventually leads to very dramatic changes.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 03-16-2012 at 02:39 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 03:31 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,593,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Maybe there's a misunderstanding, so let me try another angle:

Imagine you're watching a snail move very, very slowly. So slowly in fact that it takes an hour just to go 7 inches. That's awefully slow, right?

Now, imagine that you keep watching that snail for a million years. Do you know how far it would get in that time? The answer is it would have circled the earth more than 40 times.

I use the above example to illustrate by analogy the kind of pace that evolution happens at. To us, the pace feels painfully slow. But given the timescale of evolution - which is millions of years - even that painfully slow pace eventually leads to very dramatic changes.

Alright now your saying that evolution is so slow that its changes takes millions of years. The earth is 4.5 billion years old. A skull found in Chad is 6 million years old. Now this is just speculation Big City; lets give primordal man 7 million years of existence. Lets say he evolved during all those years; I still say his evolution was vastly mere physical, not conscious; not educational; not architextual; not transportational; not in language; not religious; not scientific or technological. In 7 million years all he did was evolve ( slowly) physically. Now the ice age comes, eventually primordal man is discontinued along with the dinosaur.

Then, in my view, God creates Adam and gives him a working consciousness; now the life of man becomes intellectual, he has culture , religion, science, agriculture, architexture, he is now different than anythingelse we know of in the universe, and the keys to that were God and his given image- "consciousness." Now it is as if man and his life evolved to a certain point, and then " Exploded" at a right angle and burst into a totally new direction!

It is my contention that God used evolution, and although he didnot totally use it up, its main purpose is now mostly complette and man now has a consciousness, and that is what God wants to continue to evolve, evolution is just no longer physically necessary, 7 million years of it was enough. The drama of humans becomming intellectually conscious, was the biggest change in evolution to ever occur in man, and it was given " Instantly", not slowly over the years.

So what little evolution is left to occur, is both reserved and waning.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Alright now your saying that evolution is so slow that its changes takes millions of years. The earth is 4.5 billion years old. A skull found in Chad is 6 million years old. Now this is just speculation Big City; lets give primordal man 7 million years of existence. Lets say he evolved during all those years; I still say his evolution was vastly mere physical, not conscious; not educational; not architextual; not transportational; not in language; not religious; not scientific or technological. In 7 million years all he did was evolve ( slowly) physically. Now the ice age comes, eventually primordal man is discontinued along with the dinosaur.

Then, in my view, God creates Adam and gives him a working consciousness; now the life of man becomes intellectual, he has culture , religion, science, agriculture, architexture, he is now different than anythingelse we know of in the universe, and the keys to that were God and his given image- "consciousness." Now it is as if man and his life evolved to a certain point, and then " Exploded" at a right angle and burst into a totally new direction!

It is my contention that God used evolution, and although he didnot totally use it up, its main purpose is now mostly complette and man now has a consciousness, and that is what God wants to continue to evolve, evolution is just no longer physically necessary, 7 million years of it was enough. The drama of humans becomming intellectually conscious, was the biggest change in evolution to ever occur in man, and it was given " Instantly", not slowly over the years.

So what little evolution is left to occur, is both reserved and waning.
Bahhh your entire understanding of what evolution is is just as imaginary as your former creationist stand...Grow up and stop playing "make crap up" and you might be worth debating with, but until then I'll leave you to your ignorance.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Bahhh your entire understanding of what evolution is is just as imaginary as your former creationist stand...Grow up and stop playing "make crap up" and you might be worth debating with, but until then I'll leave you to your ignorance.

And I in turn wish you welll on your learning journey; peace on your path, although its different from mine in thinking, I still wish you well.

Certain thinking began the modern evolutionary theory, following their twin announcements of their theory in 1858, both Darwin and Wallace struggled like Laocoons with the serpentine problem of human evolution and its encoiling difficulty of consciousness. But where Darwin clouded the problem with his own naivete, seeing only continuity in evolution, Wallace couldnot do so. The discontinuities were terrifying and absolute. Mans conscious faculties couldnot possibly have been developed by means of the same laws which have determined the progressive development of the same laws which have determined the progressive development of the organic world in general, and also of mans physical organism. Some metaphysical force had directed evolution at three different points; the beginning of life, the beginning of consciousness, and the beginning of civilized culture.

To explain consciousness by metaphysical imposition is simply stepping outside the rules of natural science. You cannot explain consciousness in terms of natural science alone. Yet these metaphysical speculations in this early period of evolutionary thinking birthed an increasingly materialist view. It was a position more consistant with straight natural selection. It even had inherent in it that acrid pessimism that is sometimes curiously associated with really hard science. This produced a downgrading of consciousness in my view ; this straight evolutionary theory. Animals are evolved; nervous systems and their mechanical reflexes increase in complexity; when some unspecified degree of nervous complexity is reached, consciousness appears; and I totally disagree with this, but so began its futile course in the history of our learning about evolution, and we have been helpless spectators of this interpitation of science ever since.

Last edited by Mickiel; 03-16-2012 at 06:04 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 05:46 PM

Do you actually think you know more than these guys?

We found very many human genes undergoing selection," says anthropologist Gregory Cochran of the University of Utah, a member of the team that analyzed the 3.9 million DNA sequences* showing the most variation. "Most are very recent, so much so that the rate of human evolution over the past few thousand years is far greater than it has been over the past few million years."
Culture Speeds Up Human Evolution: Scientific American

DNA techniques, which probe genomes both present and past, have unleashed a revolution in studying evolution; they tell a different story. Not only has Homo sapiens been doing some major genetic reshuffling since our species formed, but the rate of human evolution may, if anything, have increased. The Future of Man--How Will Evolution Change Humans?: Scientific American

Human evolution has been moving at breakneck speed in the past several thousand years, far from plodding along as some scientists had thought, researchers said on Monday. Rapid acceleration in human evolution described | Reuters

Rapid recent human evolution and the accumulation of balanced genetic polymorphisms. Rapid recent human evolution and the accum... [High Alt Med Biol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Old 03-16-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Do you actually think you know more than these guys?

We found very many human genes undergoing selection," says anthropologist Gregory Cochran of the University of Utah, a member of the team that analyzed the 3.9 million DNA sequences* showing the most variation. "Most are very recent, so much so that the rate of human evolution over the past few thousand years is far greater than it has been over the past few million years."
Culture Speeds Up Human Evolution: Scientific American

DNA techniques, which probe genomes both present and past, have unleashed a revolution in studying evolution; they tell a different story. Not only has Homo sapiens been doing some major genetic reshuffling since our species formed, but the rate of human evolution may, if anything, have increased. The Future of Man--How Will Evolution Change Humans?: Scientific American

Human evolution has been moving at breakneck speed in the past several thousand years, far from plodding along as some scientists had thought, researchers said on Monday. Rapid acceleration in human evolution described | Reuters

Rapid recent human evolution and the accumulation of balanced genetic polymorphisms. Rapid recent human evolution and the accum... [High Alt Med Biol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

I am sure the doctrine of emergent evolution and its now so called rapid growth is very specifically welcomed into court to rescue consciousness from the undignified position of being God given; I maintain that evolution has discontinuities which science cannot explain. Consciousness can no more modify the working mechanism of the body or its behavior in evolution than can the whistle of a train modify its machinery or where it goes. Moan as it will, the tracks that God laid have long ago decided where the train will go.

Consciousness is the melody that floats from the harp and cannot pluck its strings, the foam struck raging from the river that cannot change its course, the shadow that loyally walks step for step beside the pedestrian, but is quite unable to influence his journey.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:49 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,215,557 times
Quote:
Well this is why I have termed it reserved evolution, because if we are to again see the dramatic evolution of the prehistoric past, its going to have to be at a time yet in the future and equally as dramatic; and incidently the bible describes such a dramatic evolution comming into human destiny; it just calls it being " Born Again."

What we now see is an obvious reduction in the evolution of all things, with very few exceptions, none of which are major or dramatic, as compared to primordal evolution.
You can make up any term you choose, but doing so doesn't make it fact. There is no scientifically recognized term as "reserved evolution". Furthermore, it has been explained to you why your idea is factually in error. To continue to defend it makes no sense.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:51 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,215,557 times
Quote:
I do not view our orgin as being involved with Macroevolution , which is vertical transformation really; where one kind of species complettely transforms into another; I still view God as the source of any change in prehistoric man. What some would call adaptations, I would call " Adjustments." Those species who didnot adapt, were simply not adjusted by God to survive. And they were discontinued.
And yet genetics has shown unambiguously that macroevolution is real. There are no "kinds" of species. There are only species.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.