Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:52 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,243,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
mostly it depends, to me, on whether or not it will receive tax exemption as a religious property as to whether or not it is good.
No, it's not a religious property, and it pays all the applicable taxes.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:01 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O. McClellan View Post
I don't recall Jesus organizing a church, either. I guess as long as Jesus' followers are restricted to the actions he performed and the ideals he explicitly addressed, there can't be a church of Jesus Christ.
He did have followers, at one time there were thousands gathered.
So you are incorrect in stating that he didn't have any organization.Moderator cut: delete
Some of the corporations owned by the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints"...
-La'ie Shopping Center
-Deseret Management Corporation
-Beneficial Financial Group
-Bonneville International
-Bonneville Interactive Services
-Bonneville Satellite
35 Radio Stations
-1 Television Station (KSL)
-Deseret Book
-Excel Entertainment
-Deseret Morning News
-Hawaii Reserves
-Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC)
-Mstar.net
-Temple Square Hospitality
-Weddings (Josph Smith MB & Lion House)
-The Inn at Temple Square (no longer - since Mall pursuit)
-Lion House Pantry
-The Roof Restaurant
-The Garden Restaurant
-Passages Restaurant
-Zions Securities Corporation
-Deseret Trust company
-LDS Family Services
-Propery Reserves Inc. (PRI)
-Ensign Peak Advisors
-Deseret Mutual Benefit Administrators (DMBA)
-Brigham Young University (BYU)
-BYU- Idaho
-BYU- Hawaii
-LDS Business College
(& more...)
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-29-2012 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: deleting flames that are denominational bashing

Old 03-28-2012, 06:28 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,243,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
He did have followers, at one time there were thousands gathered.
So you are incorrect in stating that he didn't have any organization.
A simple crowd gathered is not an organization, irrespective of its size.

[quote=SuperSoul;23612682]But it is true that those claiming to be leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ do not act as he did.

Some of the corporations owned by the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints"...
-La'ie Shopping Center
-Deseret Management Corporation
-Beneficial Financial Group
-Bonneville International
-Bonneville Interactive Services
-Bonneville Satellite
35 Radio Stations
-1 Television Station (KSL)
-Deseret Book
-Excel Entertainment
-Deseret Morning News
-Hawaii Reserves
-Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC)
-Mstar.net
-Temple Square Hospitality
-Weddings (Josph Smith MB & Lion House)
-The Inn at Temple Square (no longer - since Mall pursuit)
-Lion House Pantry
-The Roof Restaurant
-The Garden Restaurant
-Passages Restaurant
-Zions Securities Corporation
-Deseret Trust company
-LDS Family Services
-Propery Reserves Inc. (PRI)
-Ensign Peak Advisors
-Deseret Mutual Benefit Administrators (DMBA)
-Brigham Young University (BYU)
-BYU- Idaho
-BYU- Hawaii
-LDS Business College
(& more...)
Moderator cut: orphaned

They do have a corporate arm known as the Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I don't see anything within the Bible that precludes a church from running businesses, especially when those businesses provide employment for thousands and services, both free and paid, that promote the church's values and their gospel throughout the world. I also don't see anything in the Bible that states Jesus' followers are not allowed to do anything he didn't do.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-29-2012 at 08:57 AM..

Old 03-28-2012, 07:27 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
If you're not a Mormon, will you still be allowed to shop there?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If you're not a Mormon, will you still be allowed to shop there?
Is this a serious question? Of course you can shop there if you're not a Mormon. It's really not a "Mormon Shooping Mall"; that was just the OP's negative bias showing. Salt Lake City is comprised of about 50% LDS and 50% non-LDS. I'm sure they'll all be shopping at the stores (and you won't be able to tell which ones are which ).

Old 03-29-2012, 01:36 AM

79 posts, read 99,091 times
Rules at the mall - City Creek security officers enforce rules of conduct - ABC4.com - Salt Lake City, Utah News

I have a huge problem with the mall. Over a 30 year period the LDS church gave $1 billion in humanitarian aid. Now they spend $5 billion on a shopping mall that is not proven it will succeed. Sure, it provided jobs for people who probably already had adequate food. How about them starving people? the homeless? Nah, a shopping mall is more important.

Jesus in the NT is against riches. The Book of Mormon is against riches.

Hmmm.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:34 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireoftheCovenant View Post
Rules at the mall - City Creek security officers enforce rules of conduct - ABC4.com - Salt Lake City, Utah News

I have a huge problem with the mall. Over a 30 year period the LDS church gave $1 billion in humanitarian aid. Now they spend $5 billion on a shopping mall that is not proven it will succeed. Sure, it provided jobs for people who probably already had adequate food. How about them starving people? the homeless? Nah, a shopping mall is more important.

Jesus in the NT is against riches. The Book of Mormon is against riches.

Hmmm.
Good points.
I would be fine if the church called itself what it is... a series of corporations, this mall being the latest addition.
By how it handles finances, it does not act like the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints."
And I'd probably not be so upset if I & many I love weren't personally affected by this financial exploitation. The church leaders tell us (members) that we are to pay tithes first, before any bills, & if we do so, we will be blessed and avoid damnation. We can only be "celestially" worthy to enter the temple, if we pay tithes, which is checked by leaders regularly by temple interviews and tithing settlements. Moderator cut: deleted but members are brought up to believe it's normal - that they OWE 10% of their gross income to Mormon leaders. If they don't comply with religious rules, they are often shunned or otherwise limited socially. No wonder that Utah leads the nation in antidepressants.

As you mentioned, FireoftheCovenant, Jesus taught to seek first the kingdom of God, & instructed a rich man to give all he had to the poor and follow Jesus, but he wouldn't. I don't think Jesus believed money was bad, but just the love & worship of it is & when it comes before keeping the greatest commandments of all... To love God and love others as ourselves... "on these 2 commandments hang all the law & the prophets."

Never before in history has there been so much poverty!
It breaks my heart. It's in the middle of the night & I couldn't sleep, thinking about the almost 1,000,000,000 men, women & children starving - tens of thousands died today of starvation!
2012 World Hunger and Poverty Facts and Statistics by World Hunger Education Service

When asked who is their neighbor, Jesus gave the parable of the good Samaritan & to go & "do likewise." Moderator cut: edit But in the good Samaritan parable, the Samaritan didn't flip out a lesson manual & give missionary discussions to the dying man... he helped him.
"Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these, ye have done it unto me...
Inasmuch as ye have NOT done it unto one of the least of these, ye have NOT done it unto me."

Poverty - YouTube

IMO, Jesus would not build & run a shopping mall, when so many are dying of preventable causes.

Last edited by june 7th; 03-29-2012 at 08:51 AM..

Old 03-29-2012, 04:04 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
How many riches does the Catholic church have in Rome and elsewhere?
I agree that I would be ticked if the business end of a religious group was untaxed because of the religious ownership, but otherwise, no problem. Maybe that helps the group to stop hitting up members for money.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:59 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
If you do not disagree with something on a small scale, why disagree on a large scale?

How many churches have Cake Sales, rummage sales etc. If you see nothing wrong with that, why find something wrong in having a mall?

Old 03-29-2012, 06:04 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
do the restaurants there serve caffeine? Beer?
There are stories of the church bribing owners with substantial lower rents / leases if the businesses in their properties stop serving alcohol. Not sure if that policy is still in place in general or has been used at this property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality