Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:18 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times

Advertisements

So they say,,,, Where are the Christian values? Kids are born a blank slate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC1nR...eature=related Part one

Kids speak their minds about race - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 07:19 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
...The key word being "if." But since it isn't, well, there ya go!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
So they say,,,, Where are the Christian values?
Well you see, Christians are very selective when it comes to 'Christian values'.

Castigating homosexuals for wanting what the rest of us have (living their life with the person they love) seems to be a very popular 'Christian value'. They will chant about that until the cows come home, claiming that they are requested to speak against it because the Bible is against it. Yet when it comes to other 'Christian values' -particularly those that affect their pocketbook - they seem to be rather reticent about following them. Ask them about 'Christian values' like selling their possessions and giving the money to the poor, giving their shirt to someone that has stolen their coat or not attempting to get there possessions back if someone takes them and they will suddenly 'turn a deaf 'un' even though those 'values' can be found in their Bible and they have specific instructions from their man-god that it is something they should do.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times
It isn't, so problem solved. The problem is we keep entertaining religious people as if their opinions actually hold weight. All opinions are not equal and it's time to start calling them out Moderator cut: inappropriate . The reason some things are the way they are is because no one challenged them.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-11-2012 at 09:56 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 AM

55 posts, read 65,907 times
The concept of Christianity being a national religion is laughable (unless you're a nationalist zionist as the historical Jesus may have been). It's best for fit for the poor, impoverished minorities of a society, not for the rich upper classes.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
It isn't, so problem solved. The problem is we keep entertaining religious people as if their opinions actually hold weight. All opinions are not equal and it's time to start calling them out Moderator cut: Orphaned. The reason some things are the way they are is because no one challenged them.
I agree! I'm sick to the back teeth of people telling me that I should have 'respect' for people's beliefs.

The most curious social convention of the great age in which we live is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected.
-- H L Mencken

Last edited by june 7th; 04-11-2012 at 09:57 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 10:57 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,738 times
No, it's a secular nation that has, within it's confines, many religions.

The Christians only think it "belongs" to them and as such, they're hell bent on trying to impose their religion and it's questionable values on the rest of us.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:01 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
I would like to respectfully ask the OP if a search was done to see if this idea had ever been discussed on City-Data.

Here's one from right here in the R&P forum:
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...an-nation.html

From the P&OC forum:
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-view-god.html

And another:
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...christian.html

Discussing the First Amendment:
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ment-mean.html

The Christian State:
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ian-state.html

10 Commandments in Court
//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...ttack-n-c.html

One Nation Under God:
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...under-god.html

Some State less religious than others:
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-parts-us.html

The decline of Christianity in America:
//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...y-america.html

I only did one search with a single choice of key words and stopped my search at 1/1/2012. If you REALLY search in this forum and Politics and Other Controversies, you'll probably find 10 times this many.

What NEW discussion points are being presented to warrant a new thread?

Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I agree! I'm sick to the back teeth of people telling me that I should have 'respect' for people's beliefs.

The most curious social convention of the great age in which we live is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected.
-- H L Mencken
You can respect a person's right to believe as they choose without respecting the belief itself.

Right up to the point where they start shoving it down your throat and trying to make you live by their "moral" standards.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
You can respect a person's right to believe as they choose without respecting the belief itself.
Quite! Unfortunately, too many people think that 'religious' beliefs should be held to a different standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality