Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:29 AM

531 posts, read 2,899,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
We live in a world where liars, cheaters and scammers are found in all walks of life. Understandably, many of us are weary and suspicious of claims that are made by people without any evidence to back them at all.

Religion happens to be full of just such claims.
Ah ok that explains it.

Religion is like a bee. Don't bother it and it won't bother you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 11:45 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Ah ok that explains it.

Really?? Do you live on a different planet than the rest of us?

Old 05-14-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Ok, give me an example of how you have personally been "cheated" or "scammed" by Christianity.

I lived as an atheist for nearly 15 years, I didn't think much of church-going folks in those years but I never thought anyone was trying to "scam" me.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:26 PM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Ok, give me an example of how you have personally been "cheated" or "scammed" by Christianity.
Let's start with the repeated attempts by certain Christian groups to violate the separation of church and state by sneaking religion into public schools.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Let's start with the repeated attempts by certain Christian groups to violate the separation of church and state by sneaking religion into public schools.
Examples? Not denying that this may happen, I just don't know of any specific cases.

But trying to bring this back to my original question, which is why there seems to be such anger from those who do not believe in a higher power towards those that do (and as I said in my original note, I'm guessing it has gone the other way here as well). So people here are so angry and vociferous in their attempts to explain why Christianity is foolish because they feel that certain Christian groups are trying to violate the separation of church & state by sneaking religion into public schools? Isn't it entirely possible that the God described in the Bible exists, but that these "certain Christian groups" are exercising their free will and doing the "wrong thing" and the anger and energy should be directed at exposing them?

Many, many priests abused young boys sexually, God didn't. Their actions hasn't changed how I feel about God.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:56 PM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
But trying to bring this back to my original question, which is why there seems to be such anger from those who do not believe in a higher power towards those that do (and as I said in my original note, I'm guessing it has gone the other way here as well). So people here are so angry and vociferous in their attempts to explain why Christianity is foolish because they feel that certain Christian groups are trying to violate the separation of church & state by sneaking religion into public schools? Isn't it entirely possible that the God described in the Bible exists, but that these "certain Christian groups" are exercising their free will and doing the "wrong thing" and the anger and energy should be directed at exposing them?

Many, many priests abused young boys sexually, God didn't. Their actions hasn't changed how I feel about God.
It's not anger. Atheism is so philosophically opposed to Christianity that almost any statement an atheist makes about religion will feel brash to a Christian.

If I say "the Bible is mostly a myth like all scripture is" or "Man created God out of his primitive, wild imagination" or "there is no Son of God" or "the Resurrection never happened," a Christian might detect anger and blasphemy in these words. But to an atheist, these are simply statements of personal opinion.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:

I lived as an atheist for nearly 15 years, I didn't think much of church-going folks in those years but I never thought anyone was trying to "scam" me.
I'm to smart for that. However my grandmother gave a money to Jim Bakker in the 80's.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
It's not anger. Atheism is so philosophically opposed to Christianity that almost any statement an atheist makes about religion will feel brash to a Christian.

If I say "the Bible is a myth like all scripture is" or "there is no Son of God" or "the Resurrection never happened," a Christian might detect anger and blasphemy in these words. But to an atheist, these are simply statements of personal opinion.
Interesting. I think what is missing from your examples above are the words "I feel". In other words, "I feel the Bible is a myth like all scripture is". Because you truly do not know.

And I think that is it in a nutshell.

Atheism requires no faith, and there are no repercussions to an atheist for what he or she says.

But there is more to it. There is a level of discomfort that exits when confronted with those who don't share our point of view. And I think many atheists feel the need to get others to "think like them".

Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I'm to smart for that. However my grandmother gave a money to Jim Bakker in the 80's.
That's between your grandmother & Jim Bakker. It has nothing to do with God.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Ah ok that explains it.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
That's between your grandmother & Jim Bakker. It has nothing to do with God.
Around and around we go. Since there is no god all money given to any church is scammed in one aspect or another.

Religion is the single biggest thing hindering Mankind's growth.

Religion does not just leave us alone.

Tell that to the people who died on 9-11! Tell that to gay people! Tell that to the Branch Davidians. The list goes on........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality