Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:32 AM

496 posts, read 483,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallisdj View Post
Reed,

Thank you for your concern.

But I am already a theologian, and I understand the Bible in all its forms, origins, et al.

I'm sorry you wish to believe in mysticism and fairy tales. But then, that's free will. I'm not going to change you. Please do not try to change me and the 50+ years I have been studying the vast richness of the Bible in all of its different forms.
I enjoyed your postings in thread and find good agreement in all except for a couple of un-important little things. Good wisdom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 08:37 AM

617 posts, read 697,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Nobody goes to hell because it doesn't exist...It is just a fear tactic to keep the gullible in line.

how did you know that it doesn't exist?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:39 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

Yet another overly-assumptive post where the poster can't quite put any of it into their own well-thought-out ideas and words. Instead they just cut & paste from their as always curiously inept bible...

So sorry, jj;your ideas (actually, they are not even your ideas per se, now are they?) simply do not resonate with sooo very many of us, that your inability to argue your point first, before just pasting the bible's rattley-redundant stuff, leaves us all with that familiar cold feeling of having heard nothing that begins to convince.

Else, why have you not sold all your possessions and given it all to the church or the poor? Hmmmm? It's all just finger-waggling holier-than-thou utter Christian hypocrisy and snobbism, isn't it?

So why bother?
Rifleman, I must admit this part of your post made me smile. Since coming to C-D, I'm always baffled by those who cut and paste "bible" passages and think they are making a point. I have a personal policy to never read any of the words in a post if they have the words "Matthew, John, Timothy, Hebrews, etc" after them. Not sure JJ understands that I'm probably in the majority. Say something if you have a point to prove - don't just cut and paste with no commentary. That's a worthless use of good bandwith.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 AM

617 posts, read 697,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post
I'm a good person but I think I'm already in hell. There's no way to get away from the heat here in phoenix, and I'm a slave to the oil companies. lol. But seriously though, like another poster said, I was always taught being a good person is not enough. You can still be a good tax paying person, however if your heart, soul, and mind isn't all within God, then you deserve hell.

IMO I don't think it's that serious. I mean come on, if I basically have to be perfect to get to heaven, then whats the point. I was born imperfect and with sin. So therefore, the cards dealt to me were stacked against me and I have absolutely noooo way of winning. For god to be almighty and wise I think it's kind of silly for him to expect perfectness from something that was born wicked. (According to the Bible)

But according to the Quran, NO

Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Yet another overly-assumptive post where the poster can't quite put any of it into their own well-thought-out ideas and words. Instead they just cut & paste from their as always curiously inept bible...
How do you know I've not put any thought into this? Oh yeah, you don't! I'm an educated adult and have considered much about my religious upbringing. Don't assume that only atheists & agnostics have given these things thought. Get off your intellectually superior high-horse, gunboy!

Quote:
So sorry, jj;your ideas (actually, they are not even your ideas per se, now are they?) simply do not resonate with sooo very many of us, that your inability to argue your point first, before just pasting the bible's rattley-redundant stuff, leaves us all with that familiar cold feeling of having heard nothing that begins to convince.
I'm aware that there are many beliefs represented here. Am I not allowed to speak my own?

Quote:
Else, why have you not sold all your possessions and given it all to the church or the poor? Hmmmm? It's all just finger-waggling holier-than-thou utter Christian hypocrisy and snobbism, isn't it?

So why bother?
How the hell do you know what I give, or how I live? Lot's of ASSumptions here. Typical...

Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
That is why I subscribe to the Clarence Darrow philosophy.

Live your life. If there are gods and they are just, they will judge you on the virtues of your life. If there are gods that are unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will have lived a full and happy life.

Sorry if the quote is not perfect, I was going on memory.
Works for me

Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
everybody should go to hell. this world have become nothing but a waste of time and space. keeps going downhill every year
See, you too can have such a pessimistic view, all it takes is following bronze age superstitions and imaginary friends.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Matthew 20
Quote:
Matthew 19
Quote:
How do you know I've not put any thought into this?

Because you have a habit of regurgitating the ignorance of your book of bronze age superstition. It is just the musing, fears, superstitions, and urban legends when ignorance ruled.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:51 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

Because you have a habit of regurgitating the ignorance of your book of bronze age superstition. It is just the musing, fears, superstitions, and urban legends when ignorance ruled.
I happen to like my broze age superstitions. They help provide me a road map for living my life.

However, I'm not impressed with using those bronze age superstitions to attempt to convince those who do not hold by them to make a point. JimmieJ, if I want to convince Ashville Native and Rifleman of anything, the last thing I would do is quote the bible. If you are interested in getting a point across to others, talk their language. Answering a question with two words: "Matthew 20" isn't going to accomplish anything.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:15 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I happen to like my broze age superstitions. They help provide me a road map for living my life.

However, I'm not impressed with using those bronze age superstitions to attempt to convince those who do not hold by them to make a point. JimmieJ, if I want to convince Ashville Native and Rifleman of anything, the last thing I would do is quote the bible. If you are interested in getting a point across to others, talk their language. Answering a question with two words: "Matthew 20" isn't going to accomplish anything.
That's why we have freedom of religion. The individual can decide which
Superstition he follows for himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality