Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:42 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazah View Post
on another note. i don't know how many of yall have seen the movie "Expelled! no intellegence allowed" featuring Ben Stein. it brings up how in the science community many scientist are being black listed for the mear mentioning of intellegent design. so i feel that most of the research provided today is biased. in a way we see the evolution community holding a sort of "dictatorship" over the science society. it doesn't hesitate to eliminate those who chose to stand against it or even those who slightly consider the idea of some higher being whether it be a god or an extra-terestrial.
I googled this and only found the Stein talking head article and some other vague references.

Why would anyone provide grants to study myths? There are mountains of evidence refuting a YEC so what would be the point to spend money trying to prove what we already know to be "fiction"

My guess is that the ID "scientists" are not the sharpest knives in the draw and hence will appeal by offering the usual persecution/victim card.

ID requires you to ignore all scientific proof of an old earth found in multiple disciplines. Well then I guess we fire all doctors, close all hospitals, burn down all pharmaceutical factories, scrap NASA, stop AIDS and cancer research, cancel all and any scientific work of any nature and all go home and read our bibles. I guess that will not work for you now would it?

If a conclusion is required and said ID "scientist" defers to a godunnit when he/she is stumped, that would sure be money well spent eh?

Well I am sure these poor "victims" are in reality a handful of people who's purpose in life may be better served behind a church pulpit than trying to keep the world in the dark ages of yesteryear.

Ben Stein's stuff is just a slam on dem liburals and talking points for the GOP.

Maybe we can call them a Whaambulance

ETA:

BTW welcome. Sorry if my post was harsh, it was in reply to the content of the "great worldwide conspiracy" of evolution scientists which is a myth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 04:47 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
There are DEFINITELY flaws in the OP that even resurrection won't help.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:02 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
ID requires you to ignore all scientific proof of an old earth found in multiple disciplines.
This is a common misconception . . . equating YEC with ID . . . the result of the Discovery Institute's bogus attempt to infiltrate science curricula with religious Creationism by co-opting the ID label. Real ID simply replaces the random, purposeless, indifferent "Nature" with a conscious "Designer." Everything else remains the same . . . no conflict with evolution findings . . . just their source.
Quote:
If a conclusion is required and said ID "scientist" defers to a godunnit when he/she is stumped, that would sure be money well spent eh?

Well I am sure these poor "victims" are in reality a handful of people who's purpose in life may be better served behind a church pulpit than trying to keep the world in the dark ages of yesteryear.
This is as ludicrous as the YEC beliefs. Nothing changes in the scientific method simply by altering the name of the processes being investigated from some amorphous "natural" to "God designed." The bias is real and scientifically unjustified . . .our randomness "explanation" is no explanation . . . it is a mathematical statement of ignorance designed to mask the ignorance under scientific-sounding jargon.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:04 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Intelligent design is just another way of saying God did it...Mythical thinking in my opinion.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Intelligent design is just another way of saying God did it...Mythical thinking in my opinion.
This is just as simplistic and benighted an opinion as the YEC and Discovery Institute ID frauds assert.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:11 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
...and even if by some stretch of fantastical imagination we were "intelligently designed"...it's all a house of cards anyway, because then someone or something had to design the designer ad infinitum until eventually you work your way back to the incredibly silly idea of "god did it" anyway.

Or else...you admit that the "first" designers evolved and then...TA DA! Abiogenesis and evolution...

Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
...and even if by some stretch of fantastical imagination we were "intelligently designed"...it's all a house of cards anyway, because then someone or something had to design the designer ad infinitum until eventually you work your way back to the incredibly silly idea of "god did it" anyway.
And your "nature" God escapes this "turtles all the way down" . . .how?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is just as simplistic and benighted an opinion as the YEC and Discovery Institute ID frauds assert.
Simple, but correct...KISS is usually the best, rather then wading through complicated convoluted explanations of something so obvious.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:19 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
This is an interesing article.

Creationism Feels Right, but That Doesn't Make it So: Scientific American

Also, on Ben Stein's Exposed, the devil is in the details of what the movie does not reveal:

http://www.expelledexposed.com/

Old 03-24-2009, 09:20 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
And your "nature" God escapes this "turtles all the way down" . . .how?
I don't have a nature god. I don't believe in any gods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality