Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 11:33 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
We as a society have dealt with many politically-charged issues throughout our history. Not all issues have had a political backing but somehow they (politicians and pundits) seem to find a back door. Why are Christians considered haters for the worldview we possess?

Acceptance of people who have same-sex attractions and equality of marriage proposals are the electrical current running through our society today. In the 70s, 80s and 90s the top issue was abortion, now it's about the gay community. While abortion is still an extremely important issue we as a society and culture are more in tune with equality for gay and transgendered people.

We live in a world where diversity of thought and belief has existed for more than a millennium. People who profess to follow the teachings of Jesus have a worldview not held by people who follow Allah, Hindu gods, paganism. Everyone has different values and beliefs, even in marriage a husband and wife are not going to be in agreement on all things spiritual due to different life experiences.

Why is it difficult for people to accept that people who follow the teachings of Jesus (known as Christians) have a valid and valued point of view on a topic such as same-sex attraction or equality in marriage? Whether on a forum, a blog, in the media or even in real life Christians are portrayed as a hateful group of people simply because they are not in agreement on these issues.

When Christians have a differing opinion on these topics we are called out as bigots, haters and even profane names. Living in a society that demands free speech, ours is being called into question and even squelched because it's different and not popular.

While I cannot speak for every follower of Jesus, we do not hate people who do not believe as we do. We may not accept a way of living because it goes against what we believe, but we do not hate.

When we talk about our beliefs and evangelize we are sharing something amazing in our life and want others to hear about it.

The lyrics, "and they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love, yes they'll know we are Christians by our love," speak volumes about people who follow the Christ. Before responding to someone's comments on their beliefs remember that not all people are who they say they are. Not all people who call themselves Christians are. That brings up another issue of judgement but it's not one for the purpose of this post.
You find as you look around the world that every single bit of progress in humane feeling, every improvement in the criminal law, every step toward the diminution of war, every step toward better treatment of the colored races, or every mitigation of slavery, every moral progress that there has been in the world, has been consistently opposed by the organized churches of the world. I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world.
Bertrand Russell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 12:44 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,367 times
Quote:
When Christians have a differing opinion on these topics we are called out as bigots, haters and even profane names. Living in a society that demands free speech, ours is being called into question and even squelched because it's different and not popular.
'Christians' like the Westboro Baptist Cult (I absolutely refuse to call it a 'church') preach that homosexuals are evil, non-Christians are sinners and that nobody has any right to believe anything they haven't personally rubber-stamped as 'true Christianity'.

The 'differing opinion' that most of us have is that we feel that beating a gay man to death is wrong. That hate is not what Christ taught. And that there have been more wars, assaults and murders committed in the name of religion than for almost any other cause.

As for me, I'm sick of hate. I'm sick of the twisted morality that tries to justify cruelty and hate-speech under the guise of 'religion', and I'm sick of reading endless stories about yet another teenager that took his own life because of bullying and persecution.

I will speak out against hateful speech -- whatever its source -- because I believe that silence in the face of hatred and bigotry only creates more shadows in which they can hide.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:55 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Because many Christans are hypocrites and directly contradict their bible, sometimes intentionally. Yet they constantly believe that others should evolve and turn to Christianity, they believe whatever they do is right and that's why other religions cannot take Christianity seriously. Here's an example, my cousin is 7th Day Adventist, he constantly raves about the bible yet when we went to Dominos the other day he ordered a Pepperoni Pizza after I repeatedly told him that it's pork. His religion specifically states that he shouldn't eat pork, but he still insisted to eat it. Yet when I detest that religion or even God isn't what's needed in life, he tries to shove the bible down my throat. The thing about atheism is that I grew up Christian, I know the christian beliefs so if you want to pretend to be a true Christian I will call you out for "sin".

I believe that's why I detest Christianity, I've only met a few true Christians in my life and I respect them but all these others who truly are atheist but are scared to announce or even realize it Moderator cut: deleted Don't shove youre religion down my throat because I can easily do the same, with you're own religion. So that's why other religions don't appreciate Christianity and its acts of superiority. Other religions can at least accept other religions, yet Christians cannot accept any other religion. I cannot tell you how many times I've heard "I just know Christianity is right, the others aren't", if you truly believe in God keep a open mind. Christians have distorted Christianity, you've guys have put you're own meaning into religion and find ways to hate people and blame the bible for it.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-05-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 08-05-2012, 09:54 AM

407 posts, read 829,931 times
Quote:
I am "lumping" them all together because when the subject is talked about in forums or the media they don't call out a subset of Christianity. They simply call out Christians. And I am part of that obnoxious subset as you call it. I am an evangelical Christian.
Verily I say unto ye, that ye shall be hated by all the world, for My Namesake.

No man is greater than his Master, and if they hate you, remember they hated Me first

/Basically sums it up pretty well

Many people want a 'Buddy Jesus' who does not condemn their sin, and not a Jesus who holds them accountable for their sins

Old 08-06-2012, 10:51 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
We as a society have dealt with many politically-charged issues throughout our history. Not all issues have had a political backing but somehow they (politicians and pundits) seem to find a back door. Why are Christians considered haters for the worldview we possess?

Acceptance of people who have same-sex attractions and equality of marriage proposals are the electrical current running through our society today. In the 70s, 80s and 90s the top issue was abortion, now it's about the gay community. While abortion is still an extremely important issue we as a society and culture are more in tune with equality for gay and transgendered people.

We live in a world where diversity of thought and belief has existed for more than a millennium. People who profess to follow the teachings of Jesus have a worldview not held by people who follow Allah, Hindu gods, paganism. Everyone has different values and beliefs, even in marriage a husband and wife are not going to be in agreement on all things spiritual due to different life experiences.

Why is it difficult for people to accept that people who follow the teachings of Jesus (known as Christians) have a valid and valued point of view on a topic such as same-sex attraction or equality in marriage? Whether on a forum, a blog, in the media or even in real life Christians are portrayed as a hateful group of people simply because they are not in agreement on these issues.

While I cannot speak for every follower of Jesus, we do not hate people who do not believe as we do. We may not accept a way of living because it goes against what we believe, but we do not hate.

When we talk about our beliefs and evangelize we are sharing something amazing in our life and want others to hear about it.

The lyrics, "and they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love, yes they'll know we are Christians by our love," speak volumes about people who follow the Christ. Before responding to someone's comments on their beliefs remember that not all people are who they say they are. Not all people who call themselves Christians are. That brings up another issue of judgement but it's not one for the purpose of this post.

The ONLY things that bugs me about Christianty is that they can't leave others alone to worship & believe as they want. Stop interfering with the rest of us!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:40 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
It's because the World hates God/Christ. Just look at the threads in this forum.. almost all of them are anti-Christian in some sense.. this is testimony that what the Scriptures say is true. yes Judeo-Christian proclaims that Jesus is the same God as in the Old Testament so he did condemn homosexuality directly, but all sin is condemned. In God's eyes sin is sin, murder, lying, Sodomy and must be paid for. If it's not paid on that cross we must pay for it ourselves. The wages of sin is death. People do not like this message. The Gospel is a "rock of offense" as Jesus puts it. Whoever believes in Jesus will not be ashamed. Whosoever falls upon this rock/Jesus shall be ground to power. There are two options. It's all centered around the Person of Jesus Christ who is alive today, not a religious system. He has the keys of Hell and Death. God wants a relationship with the people he created, but he can not do that without a mediator. That mediator is Jesus Christ. If we do not have Jesus, God will not hear us and we are enemies of God subject to his Wrath without forgiveness of sins. << that is offensive to mankind. People "hate" this message and those proclaiming it. So the messengers are deemed "haters".

All Jesus did was preach the truth and in 3 so years of ministry was put to death. This world is evil and hostile to God and his followers. Jesus says Christians are sheep amongst a midst of wolves. In many countries, there is a death penalty for being Christian. The Prophet Isaiah was sawed in half. Peter was crucified upside down according to some. Many of the early Christians were fed to the lions or burned at the stake. The Medieval church killed many Christians as well for putting the Word of God in the hands of the people.

The reason why non Christians (and I was one for years) hate God and his followers is because they have the antiChrist spirit in them. The Christian's life testimony "judges" the unbeliever without even saying a word. This world is under the dominion of demonic principality and powers. Jesus calls Satan the "Prince of this World". He is called the "god of this age" which has blinded unbelievers. He is the "god" of the material world. When Satan tempted Jesus on earth saying all the world could be his if he worshiped Satan Jesus did not challenge his ownership. He had title deed to the land. He claimed title deed at the fall of man, lost it at the Cross, and will be cast out at the return of Jesus Christ.

The only cure is being "born again" into the Spirit of God through believing on Jesus Christ accepting his Sacrifice for your sins which is a free gift to the repentant heart. (ephesians 2:8-10).

Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
When Christians have a differing opinion on these topics we are called out as bigots, haters and even profane names.
Having an opinion is one thing, pushing it on everybody else is another. But, most of you can't figure out the difference so it shall remain a moot point.

Quote:
Living in a society that demands free speech, ours is being called into question and even squelched because it's different and not popular.
And if you want to make "free speech" your excuse, then stop whining and crying about people exercising free speech that you clearly would prefer to be suppressed.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:36 AM

419 posts, read 435,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
It's because the loudest voices get the attention and who has the loudest voice these days? Yep, the Westboro "Baptist" "Church." My contention is that they're not Christians at all and not naturally opposed to gays but they do this to make Christians look bad and therefore tear down the church in the eyes of the public. Add to that the effects of people like Jerry Falwell. Nuff said!
The loudest ones right now are the haters that are ripping in to a chicken restaurant because their CEO decided he liked traditional marriage.....but said nothing about gay marriage, nor did they discriminate against anyone.

I guess people living in glass houses really DO like to throw stones.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Gee, I don't know Why are Christians considered Haters for their worldview?

Old 08-07-2012, 07:13 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
It's because the World hates God/Christ. Just look at the threads in this forum.. almost all of them are anti-Christian in some sense.. this is testimony that what the Scriptures say is true. yes Judeo-Christian proclaims that Jesus is the same God as in the Old Testament so he did condemn homosexuality directly, but all sin is condemned. In God's eyes sin is sin, murder, lying, Sodomy and must be paid for. If it's not paid on that cross we must pay for it ourselves. The wages of sin is death. People do not like this message. The Gospel is a "rock of offense" as Jesus puts it. Whoever believes in Jesus will not be ashamed. Whosoever falls upon this rock/Jesus shall be ground to power. There are two options. It's all centered around the Person of Jesus Christ who is alive today, not a religious system. He has the keys of Hell and Death. God wants a relationship with the people he created, but he can not do that without a mediator. That mediator is Jesus Christ. If we do not have Jesus, God will not hear us and we are enemies of God subject to his Wrath without forgiveness of sins. << that is offensive to mankind.People "hate" this message and those proclaiming it. So the messengers are deemed "haters".

All Jesus did was preach the truth and in 3 so years of ministry was put to death. This world is evil and hostile to God and his followers. Jesus says Christians are sheep amongst a midst of wolves. In many countries, there is a death penalty for being Christian. The Prophet Isaiah was sawed in half. Peter was crucified upside down according to some. Many of the early Christians were fed to the lions or burned at the stake. The Medieval church killed many Christians as well for putting the Word of God in the hands of the people.

The reason why non Christians (and I was one for years) hate God and his followers is because they have the antiChrist spirit in them. The Christian's life testimony "judges" the unbeliever without even saying a word. This world is under the dominion of demonic principality and powers. Jesus calls Satan the "Prince of this World". He is called the "god of this age" which has blinded unbelievers. He is the "god" of the material world. When Satan tempted Jesus on earth saying all the world could be his if he worshiped Satan Jesus did not challenge his ownership. He had title deed to the land. He claimed title deed at the fall of man, lost it at the Cross, and will be cast out at the return of Jesus Christ.

The only cure is being "born again" into the Spirit of God through believing on Jesus Christ accepting his Sacrifice for your sins which is a free gift to the repentant heart. (ephesians 2:8-10).

Think very carefully about all your conversion attempts. You're actively hoping someone will leave their religion. You are trying to force someone to become an apostate.

And yet...when we won't bend over and accept that, we are lost souls. When we stand up and defend our religious beliefs from the lies and propaganda that you perpetrate, we are somehow 'persecuting' you. When we demand equal treatment, under the laws of our respective countries, you cry discrimination and fight tooth-and-nail to put yourself on the moral 'high ground'.

It's the message that we hate, yes -- because the 'message' has inspired people to bomb abortion clinics and shoot doctors that dare to work in them. To beat gay men and lesbians into a bloody pulp on the street and leave them to bleed to death.

Parents have heard the 'message' and put their children through an 'exorcism', while starving and beating them to 'drive evil out'. It even caused at least one parent to drown her infant child in a bathtub to expel 'demons' from his body.

Is that what you want us to embrace? Is that the example of Christ's 'sacrifice' and 'love' that I hear from the street preachers?

I don't hate the messenger. I hate what the message does to people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality