Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:13 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,920,995 times

Advertisements

I just now watched a CNN news line that a recent poll in N. America clearly indicated that the number of those who believe in God is continuing to drop. The number of those folks who now claim to not believe in a God is now a firm 20%, a point that counters the oft-made claim by theists in general that atheism remains a very tiny percentage, less than 5.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/1...ted/?hpt=hp_c1

Nope. One in Five (and growing) are now absolutely claiming they have lost their spiritual belief, based primarily on their own decisions and thinking on the subject. As well, the poll determined that the respondents are, more than ever, less concerned about their social standing as regards religion. In other words, they are less concerned that by truthfully answering such polls, they will not now suffer ostracization, a common fear in the past.

Two sentences from this article are of particular interest to me, since I, as with many atheists, continue to be deeply concerned about the influence that Christianity has had on our children and teens.

__________________________________________________ ____

"The number of these Americans has grown by 25% just in the past five years, according to a survey released Thursday by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.

The survey found that the ranks of the unaffiliated are growing even faster among younger Americans."

__________________________________________________ ____

"Oh, what will my fellow parishioners think? After all these years... Oh My! I'd best hide my loss of belief if I intend to get along in this town."

Education and the influence of indisputable science-based discoveries (also known as The SM: durable, repeatable, rational questioning, and subsequent deductive reasoning) and the influence of startlingly good explanatory visual media (on such topics as the early beginnings of our universe, (see: Through The Wormhole with Morgan Freeman) and instruction (in this case, the visual media has made a spectacular impact on the education of our next generations) is clearly evident.

We're finally catching up to the typical educated "person-in-the-street" thinking in Europe (and fortunately for us, North America's changes are minus the rising extremist excesses of Euro-Islam, which is a self-destructive and tribal-quality religion bound to fail in the end. Full-on self destruction mode, guaranteed. ).

Finally! Freedom & Truth raise their inevitable heads! The double-headed dragon doth arrive!

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs6/i/200...ootMeister.jpg

Last edited by rifleman; 10-09-2012 at 06:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 06:56 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,247 times
Good post but you do know they have been taught this is a sign of the end of times?

Keeping the flock ignorant of scientific advances is the only way the church can expand its ponzi scheme and hope to survive.

The verse in question is ;

But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased Daniel 12:4

Perhaps this is a self fulfilling prophesy at the individual level?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:11 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,866,437 times
Rifleman, according to the story you linked to, the statistics relate to those are religiously unaffiliated rather than those who profess to have no belief in God.

It describes the group in question as such: Pew found that 68% of the religiously unaffiliated say they believe in God, while 37% describe themselves as “spiritual” but not “religious.” One in five said that they even pray every day.

Did you link to an inncorrect source?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 AM

Here's an interesting summation from another CNN editorial:

"At the heart of the spiritual but not religious attitude is an unwillingness to take a real position. Influenced by the contribution of modern science, there is a reluctance to advocate a literalist translation of the world.

But these people will not abandon their affiliation to the sense that there is "something out there," so they do not go along with a rationalist and materialistic explanation of the world, in which humans are responsible to themselves and one another for their actions - and for the future.

Theirs is a world of fence-sitting, not-knowingess, but not-trying-ness either. Take a stand, I say. Which one is it?

√ A belief in God and Scripture or

√ a commitment to the Enlightenment ideal of human-based knowledge, reason and action?

Being spiritual but not religious avoids having to think too hard about having to decide."

Sensible stuff, from...

My Take: 'I'm spiritual but not religious' is a cop-out – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,345 times
Here is the full report, in PDF format.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:17 AM

Default Nonetheless...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Bravo View Post
Rifleman, according to the story you linked to, the statistics relate to those are religiously unaffiliated rather than those who profess to have no belief in God.

It describes the group in question as such: Pew found that 68% of the religiously unaffiliated say they believe in God, while 37% describe themselves as “spiritual” but not “religious.” One in five said that they even pray every day.

Did you link to an incorrect source?
Yup, a bit confusing, esp. when the opening line is clearly this:

"The fastest growing "religious" group in America is made up of people with no religion at all... "

...and then goes on to absolutely identify them as polling at an overall 20%.

The internal makeup of that group is then reviewed, but is also a bit confounding and confusing I still see the overall result, which reflects a rapidly growing trend in American religious society.

Ah well, we have Mark Twain's (or S. Clemens'...) famous line: "There are lies, damned lies and statistics!" (Even that line is not reliably known to actually be attributable to him! Perhaps it was Churchill?)

At any rate and nonetheless, the trend is very clear: a larger percentage of Americans (and, one imagines, also those perennially less religious Canadians...) are now "fessing up", as it were, to having no religious affiliation, and of those, a large percentage are agnostic or atheist.

I'm sure this trend and it's predictable consequences will all become clearer as time progresses. I'm betting within the next decade or two.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I just now watched a CNN news line that a recent poll in N. America clearly indicated that the number of those who believe in God is continuing to drop. The number of those folks who now claim to not believe in a God is now a firm 20%, a point that counters the oft-made claim by theists in general that atheism remains a very tiny percentage, less than 5.

Survey: One in five Americans has no religion – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs
You did read the article? Or did you just stop after the first paragraph?

From the article:

And yet Pew found that 68% of the religiously unaffiliated say they believe in God, while 37% describe themselves as “spiritual” but not “religious.” One in five said that they even pray every day.

32% of 20% = 6.4% 6.4% of folk in North America do not believe in God. Not 20%.

I would suggest you read the whole article before posting.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
You did read the article? Or did you just stop after the first paragraph?

From the article:

And yet Pew found that 68% of the religiously unaffiliated say they believe in God, while 37% describe themselves as “spiritual” but not “religious.” One in five said that they even pray every day.

32% of 20% = 6.4% 6.4% of folk in North America do not believe in God. Not 20%.

I would suggest you read the whole article before posting.
Did you not read the whole thread? In the post before yours, rifleman admits to having been a bit duped by the misleading language, and acknowledges the point you're making.

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by june 7th; 10-10-2012 at 09:03 AM..

Old 10-09-2012, 02:19 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Rifleman's point is well taken though the confusion caused by some rather imprecise terms (non - religion does not necessarily mean un-theist) could be expected as much as Mr150's making a big deal out of it.

The point is that the religious affiliation is being dropped and, while that might not lead to a wholesale gallop to atheism, it is, by the blue- nosed pongolin, a mighty step in the right direction and indicates that the signs of losing faith in Faith that appear to be there really are there.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
The point is that the religious affiliation is being dropped and, while that might not lead to a wholesale gallop to atheism, it is, by the blue- nosed pongolin, a mighty step in the right direction and indicates that the signs of losing faith in Faith that appear to be there really are there.
And, hopefully, a step in the direction of humanization of atheists in the eyes of many who still consider atheist to be a bad word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality