Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 01:21 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsweeting View Post
I mean, it's 2012...how can educated people with some sort of a brain still believe in all the fables.
Since I have always been an Atheist, I have no idea how people can believe in gods.

However, the fact is that many, many people do believe in gods, so we had better accept that fact and learn how to deal with it. In my case, it does not bother me at all to associate with religious people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 01:25 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
The Christian population is 80%, and is not dropping. It dropped slightly due to high immigration from many Asian countries which needs to be stopped!
From what I see in Northern Virginia, the Korean immigrants are VERY religious Christians. One friend told me his wife and her friends try to memorize as much of the bible as they can.

The ones I know see to be very good citizens.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
The Christian population is 80%, and is not dropping. It dropped slightly due to high immigration from many Asian countries which needs to be stopped!
Well that's a twist on it. However the greatest number of immigrants are from Mexico and all the other Latin American countries, and are probably 90+% christian, and yet the over all average is dropping.

Clearly you are not part of the trend, but people are getting smarter.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:57 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
And North Korea for you.
Yeah because a state run by an eternal never dying but already dead leader who has semi reincarnated himself through his own son sounds absolutely nothing like Christianity at all, does it.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:01 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Christianity gives good moral and happiness to people
I don't know where you're getting your information, but I can assure you that you are wrong. I live in the bible belt, AL. The Christians here (not all of them but a good deal of them) are the most judgmental, the most hateful, the most intolerant, the most ignorant and bigoted folks it has ever been my misfortune to meet. I am originally from Chicago and Christians there just don't act like this. I have surmised that they are just afraid...afraid because their numbers are dwindling...afraid because the younger generations will not tolerate this kind of behavior and so are leaving churches in droves. They are afraid because no one takes them seriously anymore. They are very afraid because their exclusionist behavior makes them look more and more foolish...they have become a joke.

My mother-in-law just recently disowned me because I voted for Obama. She told me I was an idiot and that I had no class, simply because I refuse to vote for someone who would take women back to the dark ages. This is the kind of religious fanatacism I have run into in the South...it is sickening and truly embarrassing to those of us who want to walk as Jesus taught us to walk.

Christianity has become a complete embarrassment which is why I no longer label myself that way and never will again. Organized religion is a dinosaur whose time has come to become extinct. People are slowly learning that there is no need for it and it does nothing but divide.

I am very spiritual...I believe in a Source of ALL there is...but I do not believe in nor do I adhere to any kind of man made religious ideology. I've learned from the Masters like Jesus, Buddah, Lao Tzu, Wayne Dyer, Eckhart Tolle, etc...how we should live and treat our fellow human beings...I try to do the best I can by following the Golden Rule, which is a thread that runs through all religions. If people would just practice that...we could change this world.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
God is the only way.
To what exactly? And which one?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
And North Korea for you.
North Korea is a very religious country

Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Since I have always been an Atheist, I have no idea how people can believe in gods.

However, the fact is that many, many people do believe in gods, so we had better accept that fact and learn how to deal with it. In my case, it does not bother me at all to associate with religious people.
Believing in God(s) isn't a problem. The problem is those who believe THEIR God is the only one and that they must convince or force everyone else to believe in him and impose their god, religion and outdated, primitive morals on our laws, government and schools.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Christianity gives good moral and happiness to people
History says otherwise.

Just ask the Native Americans and Africans. Hell, ask ANY native peoples on Earth who have been "blessed" by contact with Christians.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:21 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsweeting View Post
It's with great pleasure that I see that the world is turning and people start to question religion in many parts in the world (but not all). There are several statistics which show this and I think the trend is pretty clear. I mean, it's 2012...how can educated people with some sort of a brain still believe in all the fables.

The places in the world where the importance of religion is not decreasing is of course in the "great" countries that have no democracy, no creativity, no women's rights, intolerant and question religion in these places will get you in deep trouble. If you are so into religion why don't you move to these great countries. I wrote another post about my views on it: https://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-spirituality/1571809-non-religius-countries-do-much-better.html

Here are just a few examples of the decrease of the fables of religion:

Religion may become extinct in nine nations
A study using census data from nine countries shows that religion there is set for extinction, say researchers. The study found a steady rise in those claiming no religious affiliation.
Full story here: BBC News - Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says

Irish losing their religion fastest among western countries
Globally, those claiming to be religious, drops by 9 per cent, while atheism rises by 3 per cent. This compares to a drop of 22 per cent among the Irish population claiming to be religious.
Full story here: LifeSiteNews Mobile | Irish losing their religion fastest among western countries: global survey

Church Attendance in America
Less than 20% of Americans regularly attend church
Full story here: 7 Startling Facts: An Up Close Look at Church Attendance in America - ChurchLeaders.com - Christian Leadership Blogs, Articles, Videos, How To's, and Free Resources

Sweden & Norway - The first and second least religious countries in the world - Irreligion by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1. Number one in the number of women in the parliament, congress
2. Give most in percentage of their nations GDP (Gross Domestic Product) to other poor countries
3. Top 10 in least corrupt countries
4. Top rankings in many other "good" stats

Somalia & Afghanistan plus many more
1. Top 10 in the most religious
2. Worst countries for democracy
3. Worst women's rights
4. Most intolerant etc etc
5. Many other "bad" statistics

It is interesting that the least religious countries have the best rankings on some of the most important things for a society and the most religious countries have the worst rankings. If religion would be a good thing wouldn't it be the opposite?

List of countries by Failed States Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In my opinion....The less religion in a society the more people care about each other, have more rights, more democracy, more creativity plus many more things.

I rest my case on this one....Thank (god) I'm living in a country where religion is not important at all...

Any one agree or disagree with the overall concept....
A common stereotype is people who practise a religion have extremist beliefs. Fact is not all people that practise a religion have extremist beliefs. However a minority of people who follow religion that have extremist beliefs get the most publicity by the media.

Anyway according to the BBC report my country is among the 9 countries listed that could be extinct in the future. I don't see that happening anytime soon. Yes religion is declining and even the Prime Minister is Atheist. Yet I know many people here that practise religion, even the people under 30 years old. Yet of course a majority of people under 30 years old don't follow religion. Maybe religion in my country would be extinct 100 years from now.

Last edited by other99; 11-10-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality