Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:58 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Because it's healthy for us.

If we don't worship God, we'll end up worshipping something else that's not good for us. Drugs, alcohol, money, sex, etc
Speak for yourself. For an emotionally balanced person, there's no need to "worship" anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:22 AM

204 posts, read 351,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Because it's healthy for us.

If we don't worship God, we'll end up worshipping something else that's not good for us. Drugs, alcohol, money, sex, etc
What about if we're Worshipping the wrong God wouldn't that make him even more angrier?

Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkong30 View Post
What about if we're Worshipping the wrong God wouldn't that make him even more angrier?
I believe you will get what ever the god you worship can give you. If the god you worship does not exist, you will have a very long wait.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:11 AM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post

The reason this even is in the first place is because 1 .people don't read their Bibles and 2. Satan spreads lies and half-truths to the human race. .
I've always seen this as more strength for the Satanic Gnostic argument, which basically says that YHWH is Satan and deceives you and tells you to worship him and he is the creator and he is allpowerful... You must sacrifice to him..... What Christians call Satan is actually God and he has imparted to the correct way to live based on the desires he gave us when we were born. So there is God who is up above and creator of the soul, then there is god who is liked to steal the minds of people through the black backed book of the bible. It's just something to think about.

But that is interesting what Seekers said about worship glorifying the inner self. That makes it really weird because Christians then deny the conscious self only to feed the subconscious self.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:54 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Speak for yourself. For an emotionally balanced person, there's no need to "worship" anything.
Agreed. I have always thought it odd the way people just MUST worship something or they somehow feel inferior. Baffles me.

On the topic, if there is a god, I would think he already knows how great he is, and wouldn't need worship. Or maybe he's just a narcissist. Who knows. Personally I don't believe in any kind of religion, so all religious activities are odd to me.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:33 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,002,722 times
The very title of this thread ( Why does God want us to worship Him? ) makes an erroneous assumption. Any God worth worshipping would have NO need or desire to be worshipped.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:42 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I believe you will get what ever the god you worship can give you. If the god you worship does not exist, you will have a very long wait.
I'm still waiting for someone's god to give them what doesn't happen naturally and randomly to anyone.

I'm still waiting for a religious person to pray for something that simply does not happen (limb regeneration, resurrection, alchemy, etc.) and have it occur.

If whatever the god you worship can only give you things that randomly occur anyway...

Old 11-18-2013, 03:42 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
One of the myriad personality disorders of the character 'God' as described in the Bible is a monumental case of narcissism.

Narcissistic personality disorder - MayoClinic.com
Quote:
Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance and a deep need for admiration. Those with narcissistic personality disorder believe that they're superior to others and have little regard for other people's feelings. But behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism.
There's a reason it is often referred to as the "God Complex".

Old 11-18-2013, 04:13 PM

204 posts, read 351,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I'm still waiting for someone's god to give them what doesn't happen naturally and randomly to anyone.

I'm still waiting for a religious person to pray for something that simply does not happen (limb regeneration, resurrection, alchemy, etc.) and have it occur.

If whatever the god you worship can only give you things that randomly occur anyway...
the things in bold are too much to ask for, but wait, isn't anything possible with God?
Still waiting for any of those things to happen won't hold my breath though

Old 11-18-2013, 06:26 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,788 times
Egotistical arsehole?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality