Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 02:37 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,295,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
BINGO!
I'm only interested in keeping religion out of government.
I'll second that!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 02:42 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,317,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
One of the most perplexing reflections in the " Mirror of shame", is the ongoing fruitless shame of so many who are really interested in God, but are trying to cover up that intrest with shameless induendo. I mean instead of being exact in their intrests, they go the direct oppisite way of their true intrest and cover that up with building efforts to hide their true intent, or they mix their true intent with emotional notions that are not well defined. Just like certain politicians will talk about God but are not truly interested, many unbelievers will talk about God but are truly interested; but they must maintain the personsa of " Not being interested" and show public irritation that will cause the ranks to accept them as a bona fided " Unbelieving brother."

If you are not interested in God, then why are you so interested?

Have your cake and eat it too; an old saying that covers the ground of those who look in the mirror of shame and like having it both ways; they see no shame at all. A dual personality of sorts, the intent is to claim one ground while you sneak and vist the other.

And then this type of individual " Gives their opinion on God and religion", they blast away everyday , while in the privacy of their counsciousness, they wonder about God and his incredible aura; his fantastic fingerprint on human history and the human consciousness. Well I want to examine this type of individual and look into their consciousness and debate why they have this incredible " Split personality", which is dominated by the arua of no intrest, but revealed everyday by the obvious intrest of those of us on the outside of them--- looking in.

It's cause we're tired of seeing all the wrecks you guys are causing.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:00 PM

52 posts, read 40,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Actually, it's "hoisted by ones own petard", but I'm not talking about bombs, I'm talking about you being haunted by your own words, Ghost.
NSS

Quote:
Sure you are free to do that, at I am free to call you down for making baseless claims and for passing off unsubstantiated religious beliefs as facts. You are also free to make a fool of yourself, and you have certainly taken advantage of that freedom.
Is that your assessment of my presence here, Ghostie? Ooooh, Im so bummed. Even if it were true, which it isnt, why would it matter in the least? I mean, if you bumped into me tomorrow, literally, and we exchanged words, you wouldnt have the slightest idea it was me. (nor I you). So why the F does it matter what you think of my online persona? FYI, my internet doings are significantly paltry relative to my real life. Perhaps the same is not true for you. Sad.

Quote:

BTW, you never answered the simple and straightforward question that has frustrated you in this exchange.

The Question: What is your methodology for determining what in the Bible is:
1. Literal
2. Allegory
3. False

Plus, your scriptural basis for making such determinations. .
Again, Im not here to be interrogated by you Goat. It doesnt interest me. I dont care about your opinion of my personal beliefs or views. Furthermore, you dont get to ask the questions and sit back and critiquue my answers. It just dont work that way hoss. Maybe you were in charge in your other life and could make such demands, but you "aint got no say so here, big un". Do we understand each other?

Quote:

There, that's a simple NON-BULLYING question that is a challenge to claims that YOU MADE. You can deal with it or you can continue to spew your outrage like a busted sewer pipe. .
Ill determine whats non-bullying and what isnt, Goat. Imagine, a bully saying what hes doing is not bullying. Sureee, they never are, rightttt.......The unmitigated gall! LOL

Oh no outrage here. But frankly I am enjoying pushing back on your silly and pathetic "demands". Shame on me!

Quote:
Respectfully? Like you? Tsk, Tsk, Ghost. Those who live in silicon-based edifices shouldn't play with rocks, should they? You will not be "bullied, berated, harangued"...You will not, eh? How about taken to class? Enjoy the seat in the corner.
Dream on, hot shot. The only class youve taken me to is "how to be a numbskull". And yet, despite your "wise" instruction, including acting the part out yourself, it just isnt me. Oh dear. Ill have to figure out another way to get along in the world. The role does suit you well, almost like it was made for you. Keep on numbskulling!

Old 12-03-2012, 05:00 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,517,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostofrand View Post

Is that your assessment of my presence here, Ghostie? Ooooh, Im so bummed. Even if it were true, which it isnt, why would it matter in the least? I mean, if you bumped into me tomorrow, literally, and we exchanged words, you wouldnt have the slightest idea it was me. (nor I you). So why the F does it matter what you think of my online persona? FYI, my internet doings are significantly paltry relative to my real life. Perhaps the same is not true for you. Sad.
No, you're "Ghostie", I'm Goat. I know you're nervous, but it will be O.K.

Your real life? From the "bubs" and the "big-uns" and the "hoss", I can only speculate. Well, I will.

Tractor Pulls? Noodling? Roll Tide?

Quote:
It just dont work that way hoss. Maybe you were in charge in your other life and could make such demands, but you "aint got no say so here, big un". Do we understand each other?
Dream on, hot shot.
My first guess is Alabama, with Louisiana, Mississippi and Georgia in the running. Texas could also produce a stuttering sycophant as yourself. The mind ponders.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
No, you're "Ghostie", I'm Goat. I know you're nervous, but it will be O.K.

Your real life? From the "bubs" and the "big-uns" and the "hoss", I can only speculate. Well, I will.

Tractor Pulls? Noodling? Roll Tide?

My first guess is Alabama, with Louisiana, Mississippi and Georgia in the running. Texas could also produce a stuttering sycophant as yourself. The mind ponders.
And there we have it folks! As predicted, the athetist/agnostic always goes the route of, "Im a smart, savy, rational person of science while you believers are weak minded inbred bumpkins...ah yes, soooooo typical. And of course we bumpkins are always from the deep south, where everyone is a religious half wit compared to the uber intelligent elitites "on the coasts"....Please Goatie, spare us the cliched tripe and seething arrogance....

Masters degree from top 2o program, have lived in 6 states, been to Europe and the Far East, liberal arts undergrad, snow skier, golfer, deep sea fishing, marathon/half marathon/10k runner, college athlete, studied abroad, advanced designations in my field, craft beer enthusiast, ETCETERA. How stupid do you feel right now? LOL

How am I a "sycophant"? Do you even know what it means? If you perceive my uses of hosses and big uns as "sychophantic", you are waaaaayyyy off - I clearly meant them derisively. So sorry.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
i agree
to be so godless many obsess on the subject.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM

75 posts, read 91,742 times
Quote:
There is little difference in my view.

You've never read Plato, have you? You should. If nothing else, you will at least gain some appreciation of the supreme irony in that last statement of yours.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

It's cause we're tired of seeing all the wrecks you guys are causing.
Driving is actually a good analogy to (true) Christianity.

What do you hear on the news everyday? Not that millions of people successfully drove their cars to, and from, work, errands and what not -- making their lives easier and better and allowing modern society to function at a high level. No, what you hear is a bad accident involving so and so killed 3 people, blah blah blah.

Thus, like driving, Christianity is really only in the news when there is a "wreck" to report. Otherwise its just boring business as usual for Christians, raising their families, giving back, helping others, being good citizens and community leaders. But these things arent news. Theyre boooorrriiinnggggg. Its only when a nutcase using Christianity as a cover commits some heinous crime that Christianity hits the front page.

Atheists dont like to acknowledge this, of course, because it destroys their preferred narrative.

Think about it. If we focused on how much death and injury car accidends cause on our roads everyday, would anyone really continue driving? The point is, there are goods and bad to everything. The question is do the goods outweigh the bads? It can be hard to accurately measure because the bads may be so bad and the goods fairly innocuous. But those who get it know the answer --- its obvious.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:02 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,073,264 times
Quote:
Agnosticism is not freedom, its confusion. When you have two things and can't decide on one, thats simple confusion.

Its academic and simple.
Yes Mickiel. cognitive dissonance might be confusing and unbearable for some. I fully agree. But not for people who are fully capable of letting go... people who are fully capable of accepting their position of boundless doubt, the baggage that comes along with improved sentience.

Now, for us academic Agnostics, there are two things which we decide between.
stubborn and foolish gnostic believes, or humble and wise agnostic ones.
There is no confusion once you actually understand Phyrro's axiom.

Now, as to whether Zeus, Mithra, Maitreya, YHWH, Amaterasu, or the countless others are the real Gods who... whose existence bear equal weight to Odins, or Karma.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:46 AM

20,043 posts, read 13,512,341 times
Quote:
Agnosticism is not freedom, its confusion. When you have two things and can't decide on one, thats simple confusion.
Or it's intellectual honesty. Not everything in life is a snap decision, and there often isn't enough data to actually make a determination, ever. Religion, by and large, is speculating about things that can't be known or verified, at least not by the living. Personally I prefer to only make statements about things I can know and to allow the unknown to be what it is.

Were I an agnostic (which really just means that the possibility of god(s) rises from where it is for me as an atheist (= highly unlikely) to, say, (somewhat possible), that's simply a statement of probability, not a vacillation between two binary choices. This is nuanced and honest, not confused. Although, of course, it's quite possible for a particular individual to have a lot of hand-wringing angst and confusion because of a misplaced desire to make an unambiguous decision one way or the other. But this is forcing a false choice into the picture. If there is not clear evidence for god, then that's true whether or not a particular individual wishes there were more certainty.

When you think if it, much of religion is really just about not being willing to sit with uncertainty, and thus, needing to make stuff up and speculate to fill this perceived need for certitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality