Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 07:50 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,105,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
how about charging people to go to church - say $5/time?

what would happen then?
Some denominations do have mandatory tithing and will bill you 10% of your income. Again this is only a small minority, but it is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 07:24 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,843,195 times
what do they do if you have no job?

Old 12-08-2012, 09:19 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,105,404 times
Quote:
That I do not know.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:34 PM

28,104 posts, read 30,005,788 times
Here's a billionaire who does...

His name is Jon Huntsman, Sr.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 AM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
LOL, then they come to MY church, where probably half the congregation is unemployed.

If I were wealthy, I would still go to church. I certainly would like the opportunity to test myself about that, too!

Old 12-16-2012, 11:54 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,985,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Very wealthy people got wealthy by playing the game and manipulating people's perceptions. Going to church (whether you are a believer or not) can be a very productive way to do this. People will most readily give you their money if they trust you, and churchgoers trust other churchgoers.

This is not a question about religion. It is a question about the confidence game and racket of life in a monetized society.

There is a huge gulf of difference between what motivates people to virtue, and to wealth.
I am not so sure that we can make a blanket statement like this. People got their wealth in all sorts of ways. I would believe that there are those with old money who are very charitable and kind and gracious and are reared to respect people no matter what their station in life. I think their parents send them to schools that discourage snobbery and duplicity and encourage honesty.

If you have money and have had it for ages, you can afford to be good, can't you? Your money protects you from having to deal with the seamy side of life, with the hustlers and the hucksters and lowlives of the world.

I think the dirty dealers, if they are to be found, will be more often among the newly rich who feel they must prove themselves and are fearful of losing their newly acquired wealth and like to laud it over on the social classes that they have left behind. I get the feeling that Donald Trump may be one of this sort and perhaps that person, Sheldon Adelson.

I don't know if Trump goes to church, though. I know Adelson is a big supporter of Israel and the political right in this country, but I don't know if he is religious at all.

I have read that the church with the greatest number of monied and influential people in the US is the Episcopal Church. Some people join just for the contacts that they make there, but this is true for other religions as well.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:07 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,843,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I have read that the church with the greatest number of monied and influential people in the US is the Episcopal Church. Some people join just for the contacts that they make there, but this is true for other religions as well.

kind of sums up the scam it really is then.

Many only go to Church for appearances only, what is the point of that?

doubt many of them even believe in God.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
kind of sums up the scam it really is then.

Many only go to Church for appearances only, what is the point of that?

doubt many of them even believe in God.
I think people lead very demanding lives and church makes them feel good.
I also think churches do a lot of good for the community and rich folks like supporting that in a venue where they feel they are not getting ripped off. Church charities are usually run by volunteers, too, and it does good for the wealthy to get involved in such things.

Why should people believe in a God? It does not make sense that an all powerful being cannot talk to people today, just as you and I talk. It does not make sense that a god's communication is limited to words in a book or two, published years ago and actually written by men. What kind of a god would do that? Yes, I believe that a lot of these folks don't believe in a god, but that does not mean that they get nothing out of church going.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I am not so sure that we can make a blanket statement like this.
It is a given that people in forums like this are not making blanket statements. But nobody wants to even start to read a post that goes on with paragraph after paragraph of acknowledged exclusions, exceptions and disclaimers. A person making a concise summation is already aware that there is substantial room for all kinds of variables on a general theme.

You also cannot make a blanket statement that, say, "Americans are consumerist", unless it is understood by all users that there are Americans who are not consumerist, and the "blanket statement" accounts for that, and it is not necessary to itemize in a footnote all the different ways in which certain American individuals choose to mediate their spending lifestyle.

Like, look at the title of this thread. "Do very wealthy people go to church?" Of course, that is not absolutely true as a blanket statement covering every single very wealthy person. If that question were in Poll form, Yes or No, nobody could possibly answer Yes without violating your blanket statement edict. If you want to castigate blanketism, criticize the question, not the answers.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-17-2012 at 09:15 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It is a given that people in forums like this are not making blanket statements. But nobody wants to even start to read a post that goes on with paragraph after paragraph of acknowledged exclusions, exceptions and disclaimers. A person making a concise summation is already aware that there is substantial room for all kinds of variables on a general theme.

You also cannot make a blanket statement that, say, "Americans are consumerist", unless it is understood by all users that there are Americans who are not consumerist, and the "blanket statement" accounts for that, and it is not necessary to itemize in a footnote all the different ways in which certain American individuals choose to mediate their spending lifestyle.

Like, look at the title of this thread. "Do very wealthy people go to church?" Of course, that is not absolutely true as a blanket statement covering every single very wealthy person. If that question were in Poll form, Yes or No, nobody could possibly answer Yes without violating your blanket statement edict. If you want to castigate blanketism, criticize the question, not the answers.
We are not here, speaking face to face, and reading into each other's voice modulations and facial expressions and body language. We are pretty much left to take you at your word. Yes, the language is flexible and precise enough to express subtlety. If you refuse to do that, then prepare that some will misunderstand your intentions.

Some people often make blanket statements that they do not mean literally. It is nothing more than an annoying habit because you leave readers having to question if you really meant what you said or were just trying to be emphatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality