Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 09:33 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Logic and common sense.

If everyone lived their life that way, this would be a pleasant place indeed.
At least in your mind, right? But you can't speak for everyone else. So once again....all you have is your preferences. You don't have an objective morality--one that isn't subject to your whim, or my whim, or whoever is in charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You don't have an objective morality--one that isn't subject to your whim, or my whim, or whoever is in charge.
You're not going to win this one, try as you might. Reality and history has proven you wrong, and continues to do so.

It was once considered moral to enslave other humans. Though small pockets of it allegedly still exist, for the most part humanity has concluded that it is not.

It was once considered immoral for a woman to bare her ankle in public. And while backwards ass islamists still living in the 14th century still may feel like that, the more enlightened of humanity has decided that such a thing is, and was, completely silly.

It was once widely considered immoral, to the point that many states outright criminalized it, for couples to live together without being married, now it is commonplace and not given a second thought.

It was once considered moral to have gladiators fight in literal to the death combat. While modern sports can be dangerous, and do, from time to time, result in death, it is never intended to do so, and the people who participate know the risks going in.

When the bikini swimsuit was introduced in 1946, it caused quit the stir, and was denounced by many as "immoral". It wasn't until almost 20 years later that women in the US even started wearing them with any thing even approaching regularity, and yet now, they're par for the course and nobody even gives it a second thought.

You see, when it comes to hurting people (with intent and malice), it's pretty clear cut. I can make a fist and swing my arm all day long, and I've violated no moral code, unless and until your nose happens to be in the way. Likewise, I can take my assault rifle and put expensive holes into pieces of paper for hours, and have done nothing wrong, but put just one hole in a human who isn't a threat to my (or someone else's) life, and I've got a problem.

So, if you need some higher power telling you what's right and wrong, I feel for you, but I can pretty much figure it out on my own. But do me a favor, ask him if we had it wrong back in the day when a bare ankle caused scandal, or if we have it wrong now, when thousands of women run around in barely-there bikinis and nobody even notices. Let me know what he has to say about that, wouldya?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
You're not going to win this one, try as you might. Reality and history has proven you wrong, and continues to do so.

It was once considered moral to enslave other humans. Though small pockets of it allegedly still exist, for the most part humanity has concluded that it is not.

It was once considered immoral for a woman to bare her ankle in public. And while backwards ass islamists still living in the 14th century still may feel like that, the more enlightened of humanity has decided that such a thing is, and was, completely silly.

It was once widely considered immoral, to the point that many states outright criminalized it, for couples to live together without being married, now it is commonplace and not given a second thought.

It was once considered moral to have gladiators fight in literal to the death combat. While modern sports can be dangerous, and do, from time to time, result in death, it is never intended to do so, and the people who participate know the risks going in.

When the bikini swimsuit was introduced in 1946, it caused quit the stir, and was denounced by many as "immoral". It wasn't until almost 20 years later that women in the US even started wearing them with any thing even approaching regularity, and yet now, they're par for the course and nobody even gives it a second thought.

You see, when it comes to hurting people (with intent and malice), it's pretty clear cut. I can make a fist and swing my arm all day long, and I've violated no moral code, unless and until your nose happens to be in the way. Likewise, I can take my assault rifle and put expensive holes into pieces of paper for hours, and have done nothing wrong, but put just one hole in a human who isn't a threat to my (or someone else's) life, and I've got a problem.

So, if you need some higher power telling you what's right and wrong, I feel for you, but I can pretty much figure it out on my own. But do me a favor, ask him if we had it wrong back in the day when a bare ankle caused scandal, or if we have it wrong now, when thousands of women run around in barely-there bikinis and nobody even notices. Let me know what he has to say about that, wouldya?
I have no idea how that little rant proves your point. You've demonstrated that different societies have different standards of morality. There is no objective morality if we go by what man says.

It changes with your whim, or the whim of society.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Quote:
I have no idea how that little rant proves your point. You've demonstrated that different societies have different standards of morality. There is no objective morality if we go by what man says.

Or God's whim.

And if God DID say tomorrow that murder is moral and a tribute to him...you'd obey without question, yes?

There's a diagnosis for that, my friend.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:37 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:

Correct.

Also, how do we know Biblical morality is better than anyone else's?

I say, just go with what seems best...

Quote:
Logic and common sense.

If everyone lived their life that way, this would be a pleasant place indeed.
I'm sure ten thousand years from now we'll all be viewed as horrible people for not providing everyone in Africa with a laptop, or for not taking vengeance on those who have harmed us enough, but...oh well. This works too.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
That's my point.

There is no objective morality!!

It is you who is claiming there is, and that it comes from your version of gawd. Since you know everything there is to know, enlighten us...

Were we wrong when showing an ankle was a scandal, or are we wrong when barely-there bikinis are the standard, and nobody notices, or cares? How do you know?

Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Or God's whim.

And if God DID say tomorrow that murder is moral and a tribute to him...you'd obey without question, yes?

There's a diagnosis for that, my friend.
He won't. He's already said murder was wrong.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
That's my point.

There is no objective morality!!
Not among men, there isn't. So again, I ask: How do you pretend to have a morality that is better than anyone else? How do you pretend to sit in judgment of God? You can't even decide for yourself how we can condemn murder and rape among humans.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:11 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Quote:
He won't. He's already said murder was wrong.
Whoa. Who in the world are YOU to say what God will or won't do?

And the Bible condones rape, slavery, and murder plenty of times.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
How do you pretend to have a morality that is better than anyone else?
I told you the foundation for my moral code. There may be something better out there, but I've not yet found it.

Quote:
How do you pretend to sit in judgment of God?
I'm not judging god, though what you mean when you use the term is quite different than what I mean. I'm judging humans, like yourself, who claim to speak for him.

I've asked you a question no less than twice now, and you have yet to even acknowldege it much less answer it. Based upon your gods objective morality, were we doing it wrong when a bare ankle was scandalous, or are we doing it wrong now where string bikinis are so normal nobody even thinks about it?

How do you know?

Quote:
You can't even decide for yourself how we can condemn murder and rape among humans.
Sure I can, and have. Apply the golden rule and reverse-golden rule, and what do they say about murder and rape?

Well, since I neither want to be murdered nor raped, nor would I like to see that happen to my loved ones (and even people I don't know), it's safe to assume they are condemnable actions.

See how easy that is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality