Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 04:11 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Science a religion? For many yes. If the scientists say it, lots of people immediately believe, with blind faith. Then if the scientists change their minds and contradict themselves, they slavishly say "Yes I believe" to whatever New BS the scientist is pushing. Climate science and evolution are two prime examples but I have others. (Remember when it was "global warming" but now they changed it to "Climate change") It applies in lots of ways. When I was younger,(early 70's) we were told that the world would be overpopulated soon and there would be mass starvation. The Carter administration(1976-1980) told the nation that there was only about 15 years of oil and gas left and that we better start conserving. Remember when we were going to all die because of the hole in the Ozone layer?, or acid rain would destroy all the forests? They used to tell us butter was bad, then they decided oleo was bad. They used to tell us eggs were bad, now they're OK. After years of this, you just turn them off.
That's your choice if you wish to believe in science blindly. It's not a requirement. You don't have to believe that which cannot be seen is true, and take it on faith. If you'd like to take the time to study the discipline you can test their theories out for yourself. There's no dogma. Only your inability which is usually disinterest/apathy is a hindrance to understanding what the scientific model is saying. Religion, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 04:16 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
There are very few concrete undisputable facts in medical science.
This is the most ridiculous thing that I've seen as of late. There are very few indisputable facts in medical science?

Last edited by NJBest; 12-20-2012 at 04:52 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 11:29 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Science doesn't just have to be the big theories/laws or physics. I've done plenty of time doing insect larvae counts of both a observational and predictive nature. I didn't feel like I was engaging in a religious activity.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Sarcasm and insults are the product of a weak argument, and strip that away here, and you have said a whole lotta of NOTHING. I guess your form of "worship" is to come online and belittle Christians. Have you personally examined every single NDE to see if it form fits your scientific mold perfectly? Doubtful.
Sarcasm and insults can be the product of a weak argument, but there are other reasons for them as well. Maybe you could take a bit of time and see if you can think what they might be.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:40 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default It all fits so well, and the criitques are well dserved. Proof yet again!

Multiple post: deleted.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default It all fits so well, and the critiques are well deserved. Proof yet again!

Quote:
Sarcasm and insults are the product of a weak argument, and strip that away here, and you have said a whole lotta of NOTHING. I guess your form of "worship" is to come online and belittle Christians. Have you personally examined every single NDE to see if it form fits your scientific mold perfectly? Doubtful.
Sarcasm and well-leveled insults only result when all else has failed. You understand, TWD, where the blindered and ears-covered, minds-closed religious proponent oh-so very reliably defaults to endlessly illogical claims about, for example, the vast failings, biases and errors of a process that they then refuse to point out where it's specific weaknesses are.

Or where they hold dearly to Selective Beliefs of Convenience, and mentally [and desperately, I'll add...] OK the biological understanding behind the necessary & ASAP, PLEEZE!!! removal of a very malignant cancerous lesion on their nose, but then go on to deny the natural origins of an ultra-sharp but fully geologically evolved obsidian knife edge that popped out of an active volcano about 25+ M years ago, minimum.

Nope! Your faith-based version would likely be that: FACT: God, with a bag of them in his pouch, while he walked this earth, dropped it on the ground specifically so some collector would personally find it 1000's of years (but only max 6035 yrs, of course...) so it would then be shipped from Chile, S. Am, explicitly for your nose. All in God's Magic Overplan.

Such discussions, might well start out as potentially polite debates, but are soon filled with such a collection of utterly indefensible anti-logic that, yes, when the religious side refuses to even answer the most basic questions, the ones we logicians are NOT AFRAID OF, or unafraid to go at least look at with the very effective Scientific Methods, well... yup: the fully deserved sarcasm can indeed come out.

It's just like trying to get a kid to take a much-needed bath, to wash off the grime and muck of the results of their playing in the goop outside! But those intensely stubborn & screaming kids who WILL NOT get into the nice cleansing bath water are left to generate a rather growing odiousity and grubby-look. In so many many ways.

Your choice. Stay muddy for all I care: you'll be so easy to see coming!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Science a religion? For many yes. If the scientists say it, lots of people immediately believe, with blind faith. Then if the scientists change their minds and contradict themselves, they slavishly say "Yes I believe" to whatever New BS the scientist is pushing. Climate science and evolution are two prime examples but I have others. (Remember when it was "global warming" but now they changed it to "Climate change") It applies in lots of ways. When I was younger,(early 70's) we were told that the world would be overpopulated soon and there would be mass starvation. The Carter administration(1976-1980) told the nation that there was only about 15 years of oil and gas left and that we better start conserving. Remember when we were going to all die because of the hole in the Ozone layer?, or acid rain would destroy all the forests? They used to tell us butter was bad, then they decided oleo was bad. They used to tell us eggs were bad, now they're OK. After years of this, you just turn them off.
You seem to want ot denigrate literally decades, if not centuries, of accumulated knowledge, but also the ongoing improvements in measurement and detection technologies. We often see those sorts of religiously based techno-denials all listed from the mid-50s ("Carbon 14 dating is inaccurate! Proven by so and so in a 1956 paper, by a REAL Christian scientist, not one of you biased ones!") or our energy consumption plight.

Ain't ever gonna run out of energy, or it's extraction from this planet will have no consequences? I worked, briefly, at the fabled Athabasca Tar Sands prior to it becoming the oozing mass of environmental destruction it has now become.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.46201...03887&pid=15.1

You denying it? You been there first-hand? OK then: Send me your pix of all it's glory. And then, perhaps you'd volunteer to move just downstream of it all for the rest of your's and your family's all-too-brief lives? Q: like poisonously polluted mud & water much?

Fact: lots of people believe lots of things that lots of others (who in fact may have taken at least some of their educational opportunity time to be educated and at least mildly inquisitive..) have said. No-one says you should then accept it all on blind faith. Instead, get an education and check things out for yourself, why not?

Well, because Christians categorically refuse to do this an a wide basis. It would probably upset them to see the obvious facts such work uncovers.

The near-total rejection by right-wing and often Christian "thinkers" of the current anti-global warming effects amongst, for instance, the oh-so-delightful Rush Limbaugh's Godly Entourage of Highly Skeptical but Gloriously Illiterate Multitudes, will be comin' round the mountain to getcha all. Better to not listen to any of the "science" per se, but to just fall to your knees and pray like hell!

It's OK though:God'l be comin' in His rust-stained old tramp steamer, but He may only have enough food & untainted water onboard to save but a few soon-to-be-miserable troupers!

I happen to have some professional and accredited technical backgrounds, acquired in well over 45 yrs "out there", at the multiple & published study grad & post-grad levels, in geology, biology, evolution, arctic wildlife engineering, and a lot more in-field observation and documentation experience.

"Oh well... bully for you!" blurt out the jealous anti-scientists, who will now predictably & officially raze. "Loud-mouthed, biased scientists, all of them!"

But still, fact is,I happen to know, for a reasonably dependable fact, that a population of high-level resource users, that has grown over the past few millenia from about 5- 10,000 of us huddled in trees in Afrrica, to well over 7+ B and exponentially growing, will have SOME accumulating and deleterious effects on this planet. To say Ma Nature has some magic infinite, God-guided capacity to just handle it all? How amazingly blind. But conveneient when all you have is your personal blind acceptance of anything that "reeks of OMG! logic.

So, do your worst. Ignore resource use, ignore warnings about massive plastic islands in the S. Pacific that are made of the aggragation of all the plastics (which ,btw, come not from God's Own Plastic Holy Bag Company, but from the supermarket..).

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.48636...43915&pid=15.1

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.46429...86770&pid=15.1

(PS: I'll be betting that this kid probably has a nice little cross around his neck, and prays fervently to Jesus each and every night for salvation. Ahhhwww..., touching, eh? "Damned scientists! All lies, I gell you!")

Or the fact that by 2030, the measurable over-utilization on the world's fresh water resources will be a BIG problem, coupled with changes in Ag-biz (which, btw, has already happened in N. Am due to <gasp> accumulated global warming trends.)

Here: Some of your God's Grande Plan (do take a moment, if you have the inellectual cajonés that is..):

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.46515...05219&pid=15.1

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.46768...65656&pid=15.1

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.49508...83311&pid=15.1

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.45593...63989&pid=15.1

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.48441...96154&pid=15.1

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.48770...93101&pid=15.1

I could go on posting these for hours, but you'd only deny it all, calling for more prayer, less biased science and it's resulting logical resource management (since at least, we're trying, unlike the blind faith set...), telling the peons that your God will surely take care of all the little children.

That's pretty obvious here, innitt? Yah Gottah Luv fully supported and preferred mass ignorance as The Best Answer, eh?

Have a nice day! (Oh, btw, seems blind ignorant faith in miracles and menacing claims and prophecies didn't quite work out today did it? I mean: I'm still here, and no raging fires of doom are coming over the horizon at us.... Sigh. Well, maybe next prophecy: Where's your guys' hero The Most reverent and Believable Harold Camping this morning I wonder?)

To end all this "vicious sarcasm", I 'll just thank the following logician's commentaries:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is the most ridiculous thing that I've seen as of late. There are very few indisputable facts in medical science?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Sarcasm and insults can be the product of a weak argument, but there are other reasons for them as well. Maybe you could take a bit of time and see if you can think what they might be.
Nope. Not gonna happen. Their mental faculty dies are cast in stone and pre-biased. SOOOO easily proven! Thanks though. ("Damned kids: Why won't they happily come and get the accumulated dung off their bodies and minds, one wonders?")

Last edited by rifleman; 12-21-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-21-2012, 09:48 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
If science is a religion, then so are rationality and logic.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:55 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0cratus View Post
Sciense is a religion by itself.
Why?
Becouse the God can create and govern the Universe
only using physical laws, formulas, equations.
Here is the scheme of His plane.
=.
God : Ten Scientific Commandments.
§ 1. Vacuum: T=0K, E= ∞ ,p= 0, t=∞ .
§ 2. Particles: C/D=pi=3,14, R/N=k, E/M=c^2, h=0, i^2=-1.
§ 3. Photon: h=1, c=1, h=E/t, h=kb.
§ 4. Electron: h*=h/2pi, E=h*f , e^2=ach* .
§ 5. Gravity, Star formation: h*f = kTlogW : HeII -- > HeI -- > H -- > . . .
§ 6. Proton: (p).
§ 7. The evolution of interaction between Photon/Electron and Proton:
a) electromagnetic,
b) nuclear,
c) biological.
§ 8. The Physical Laws:
a) Law of Conservation and Transformation Energy/ Mass,
b) Pauli Exclusion Law,
c) Heisenberg Uncertainty Law.
§ 9. Brain: Dualism of Consciousness.
§ 10. Practice: Parapsychology. Meditation.
===.
Best wishes.
Israel Sadovnik Socratus
Science is a religion... and why?

Because god said so.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:08 AM

476 posts, read 466,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Sarcasm and well-leveled insults only result when all else has failed. You understand, TWD, where the blindered and ears-covered, minds-closed religious proponent oh-so very reliably defaults to endlessly illogical claims about, for example, the vast failings, biases and errors of a process that they then refuse to point out where it's specific weaknesses are.
Then any level headed intellectual would simply move on and realize the futility of such arguments. But that's not the nature of the skeptics like you. It doesn't matter what I post. You will always disagree, and always respond in a snarky fashion.

Things science can't do:

1. Defeat death
2. Bring happiness and peace.
3. Teach respect for others

For all the convenience and comfort levels that modern science has provided, people are just as depressed and miserable as prior generations.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:54 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,541 times
Quote:
Then any level headed intellectual would simply move on and realize the futility of such arguments. But that's not the nature of the skeptics like you. It doesn't matter what I post. You will always disagree, and always respond in a snarky fashion.

Things science can't do:

1. Defeat death
2. Bring happiness and peace.
3. Teach respect for others

For all the convenience and comfort levels that modern science has provided, people are just as depressed and miserable as prior generations.
Exactly! Nor does science, as a whole, have any intent of bringing happiness, peace or teaching respect. Those are things that religion and philosophy are supposed to do. Science is simply a means to understand and describe the world.

Of course, the whole argument of science as religion kind of falls apart now, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality