Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 09:46 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That's kind of irrelevant. Reality is, we're all sinners.
not really irrelevant as it effects me and what happens to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 AM

57 posts, read 73,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
well how about i believe in an afterlife and a higher power.. don't really care about science ..it either is going to be there or not be there ..or its going to be a god or not one when we die.. wont really matter once we're dead.
Oh, but you DO care about science; I'd like to see you live without its fruits (it wouldn't be a long life, nor a very fun one). At the end of the day, we both know what we REALLY believe in by what we do, not by what we say or even necessarily by what we think.

When you get sick, you go to the doctor, not the local priest/minister/shaman. You know what works and what doesn't, lol. We all do.

You like science when it saves and/or extends your life and hate it when it doesn't support your beliefs. Convenient.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That's kind of irrelevant. Reality is, we're all sinners.
Only because your imaginary god Yahweh is a failure on every level. According to your own fairly tales, that is.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:28 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra321 View Post
Oh, but you DO care about science; I'd like to see you live without its fruits (it wouldn't be a long life, nor a very fun one). At the end of the day, we both know what we REALLY believe in by what we do, not by what we say or even necessarily by what we think.

When you get sick, you go to the doctor, not the local priest/minister/shaman. You know what works and what doesn't, lol. We all do.

You like science when it saves and/or extends your life and hate it when it doesn't support your beliefs. Convenient.
whatever fine you win bye now

Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 AM

392 posts, read 248,222 times
Quote:
Would a meth addict suffering from an infected Meth Mouth go to a dentist or suddenly check himself into a rehabilitation clinic? (small analogy)

Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 AM

57 posts, read 73,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcastg4 View Post
Would a meth addict suffering from an infected Meth Mouth go to a dentist or suddenly check himself into a rehabilitation clinic? (small analogy)
I'm not sure what your point is here or what analogy you have in mind. A meth addict wouldn't go to a dentist or a rehab clinic. They'd keep doing meth until their teeth fell out.

Most believers aren't like that. They know what works (modern medical science) and what doesn't (appeals to the supernatural).

There have been some cases where religious fanatics have actually been consistent and refused to bring a sick child to the doctor, awaiting divine intervention instead. As a result the kid dies of a treatable condition and the parent is charged with criminally negligent homicide. The believer in these exceptional, extreme cases would be like the meth addict who lets their teeth fall out, but they are the exception, not the rule.

What people actually DO is a better indication of what they actually THINk than what they SAY, an when push comes to shove, most 'believers' act just like atheists/agnostics. They know to bring their kick kid to a doctor instead of a faith healer, they cry at funerals like they'll never see their dead loved one again, etc. For the most part, believers are really just atheists/agnostics in denial.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
For the most part, believers are really just atheists/agnostics in denial.
And only in denial about their particular god; they're openly atheistic about all the other gods.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
It has never really clicked with me with the whole Christian God thing, I mean I keep waiting to get that "feeling" that all the Christians tell me about but I can't feel it? Its really easier with other religions I have studied like Buddhism or Wicca but the Christian thing is so hard to feel that connect..Maybe its the whole burning in hell, and its my fault that I was born a sinner even though I didn't ask for any of this , I mean I would have loved to be an angel/had no freewill if that meant that it would be mean I was pure. I mean I really don't care for the christian god (however I like him in human form=jesus) But I fear, I will never have that connect and then pay the price if there is in fact an eternal price.

I feel like faith is a gift I have yet to receive.
The Christian faith is not about "feeling." It is about (drum roll) "faith." Now I must admit that when I truly believed God (took Him at His word) that Christ died for our sins) I greatly rejoiced. It is so simple, yet it is beyond the brightest unless God opens their heart to see it.

You needn't worry about paying any sort of "eternal price." Christ already died for all our sins. They all have been died for. The only next question is: When will you be brought into this understanding? During your life? or at the end of the ages which God will save all mankind? That is under God's control.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra321
For the most part, believers are really just atheists/agnostics in denial.
That might be so if they are ignorant. However, if they read the apostle Paul they would know this:

1 Corinthians 8:5-6 For even if so be that there are those being termed gods, whether in heaven or on earth, even as
there are many gods and many lords, (6) nevertheless for us there is one God, the Father, out of Whom all is, and we
for Him, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through Whom all is, and we through Him."

Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 AM

392 posts, read 248,222 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what your point is here or what analogy you have in mind.
Meth addiction represents the materialistic lifestyle. Rehab represents theism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality