Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,924 times

Advertisements

Here's a good one: who killed Goliath? 1 Samuel 17:49-50 says David. 2 Samuel 21:19 says it was Elhanan. Many English translations say that Elhanan killed "the brother of" Goliath, but the fact is the translators added that in to avoid the obvious conflict. There is no mention of Goliath's brother in the original Hebrew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 04:55 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
Here's a good one: who killed Goliath? 1 Samuel 17:49-50 says David. 2 Samuel 21:19 says it was Elhanan. Many English translations say that Elhanan killed "the brother of" Goliath, but the fact is the translators added that in to avoid the obvious conflict. There is no mention of Goliath's brother in the original Hebrew.
There is some question about this. It could be the brother of Goliath, as you said. The Masoretic text supports that.

Otheres suggest that "David" is Elhanan's throne name and "Elhanan son of Jaare" is a scribal error for "Elhanan son of Jesse". That would suggest that the scribe doing the copying just messed up....and it got attributed to the wrong one.

As we have said...the original texts are error-free. The copies of the texts are not.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:21 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,244,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
There is some question about this. It could be the brother of Goliath, as you said. The Masoretic text supports that.
The only text that supports that is the very, very late 1 Chr 20:5. The Hebrew is only slightly altered from the Samuel texts to arrive at the new reading, meaning the original version was obviously tweaked in just a few letters to give us the secondary reading. We know the Chronicles reading is the secondary one for several reasons. First, the name given to Goliath's putative brother, Lahmi, is a Semitic name, but Philistines did not have Semitic names, they had Philistine names, which have their root in the western Mediterranean. That early in Philistine history, there is simply no reason to believe a Philistine family gave their child a name based on the language of their new and mortal enemies. Next, the name would mean "My Bread," which is an entirely unattested name in the ancient Near East. It just has nothing to do with ancient naming conventions. It would be little different from meeting someone today with the name "My Bread." It makes no sense. Lastly, "Bethlehemite" is most likely original in light of the fact that Elhanan was indeed the son of a Bethlehemite, whose name is recorded in 2 Sam 23:24 as Dodo. There is textual insecurity, for sure, but the issues can be resolved quite easily, and none of them complicate the identity of Goliath's killer. 2 Samuel attests to a tradition that has Elhanan kill Goliath. 1 Samuel insists David did it. The author/redactor of Chronicles obviously saw the conflict and manipulated the text in order to try to mitigate the contradiction. Make no mistake, however, the contradiction is quite clearly there.

Quote:
Otheres suggest that "David" is Elhanan's throne name
Throne name? Got any evidence for such a thing? And how do you account for Elhanan being named in 2 Sam 23 as one of David's royal guards?

Quote:
and "Elhanan son of Jaare" is a scribal error for "Elhanan son of Jesse". That would suggest that the scribe doing the copying just messed up....and it got attributed to the wrong one.
There's not really a similarity in the names "Jaare" and "Jesse." The shin is not confused with the ayin and the resh together. There is just no reason to suggest that scribal error or emendation.

Quote:
As we have said...the original texts are error-free. The copies of the texts are not.
No, you're still miles away from ameliorating the problem there, and the issue with Acts 15:15 is still unsolved, according to your worldview. The text is clearly in error in promoting a mistranslated testimonia as the words of the very prophets themselves, notwithstanding all your naked assertions to the contrary.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
Again, you have proven nothing. It's still one guy's opinion, and he could be full of crap. Even Denver thinks so. Lack of evidence does not equal 100% proof that it never happened. Furthermore, my points were completely ignored earlier:

1. The Israelities probably left Egypt with few material possessions.
Millions of people will leave behind mountains of remains. We have discovered dozens and dozens of camp sites that contained less than twenty people in them in the Sinai desert. There is simply no way on earth that a million people crossed the Sinai during the second millennium BCE. Physically impossible given the state of the material remains.

Quote:
2. They were nomads. No cities built. Why would I expect there to be physical evidence? Are you expecting footprint in the sand or what?
We have material remains from dozens of nomadic camps in the Sinai desert dating from before the time of Moses to well after. Yes, there would be remains in spades. In fact, if anywhere near a million people, or ever a tenth of that, ever crossed the Sinai it would have left more material remains that we would know what to do with.

Quote:
3. The Egyptians were not known to record accounts that were embarrassing defeats.
This isn't true at all. Of course they were known to record the events, they would just lie about what happened. If an entire race of slaves suddenly up and took off from Egypt, it would be in the record. Of that there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever. Suggestions to the contrary betray an absolutely stunning ignorance of archaeology, Egyptology, and history in general.

Quote:
I can see Pharoh demanding that no record ever mention any contact with the cursed Hebrews.
No one with any real acquaintance with Egyptology would ever say something like that.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O. McClellan View Post
The only text that supports that is the very, very late 1 Chr 20:5. The Hebrew is only slightly altered from the Samuel texts to arrive at the new reading, meaning the original version was obviously tweaked in just a few letters to give us the secondary reading. We know the Chronicles reading is the secondary one for several reasons. First, the name given to Goliath's putative brother, Lahmi, is a Semitic name, but Philistines did not have Semitic names, they had Philistine names, which have their root in the western Mediterranean. That early in Philistine history, there is simply no reason to believe a Philistine family gave their child a name based on the language of their new and mortal enemies. Next, the name would mean "My Bread," which is an entirely unattested name in the ancient Near East. It just has nothing to do with ancient naming conventions. It would be little different from meeting someone today with the name "My Bread." It makes no sense. Lastly, "Bethlehemite" is most likely original in light of the fact that Elhanan was indeed the son of a Bethlehemite, whose name is recorded in 2 Sam 23:24 as Dodo. There is textual insecurity, for sure, but the issues can be resolved quite easily, and none of them complicate the identity of Goliath's killer. 2 Samuel attests to a tradition that has Elhanan kill Goliath. 1 Samuel insists David did it. The author/redactor of Chronicles obviously saw the conflict and manipulated the text in order to try to mitigate the contradiction. Make no mistake, however, the contradiction is quite clearly there.

Throne name? Got any evidence for such a thing? And how do you account for Elhanan being named in 2 Sam 23 as one of David's royal guards?

There's not really a similarity in the names "Jaare" and "Jesse." The shin is not confused with the ayin and the resh together. There is just no reason to suggest that scribal error or emendation.

No, you're still miles away from ameliorating the problem there, and the issue with Acts 15:15 is still unsolved, according to your worldview. The text is clearly in error in promoting a mistranslated testimonia as the words of the very prophets themselves, notwithstanding all your naked assertions to the contrary.
Actually, I dealt with the Acts 15 question, and now I've dealt with this issue. Give me something real, please.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Actually, I dealt with the Acts 15 question, and now I've dealt with this issue. Give me something real, please.
No, you just said "Nu-uh!" to the Acts question, and you've very clearly not had a word to say in response to my corrections of your assumptions regarding Elhanan.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 PM

476 posts, read 466,867 times
Quote:
Millions of people will leave behind mountains of remains. We have discovered dozens and dozens of camp sites that contained less than twenty people in them in the Sinai desert. There is simply no way on earth that a million people crossed the Sinai during the second millennium BCE. Physically impossible given the state of the material remains.

Really, so you have lived for thousands of years to personally witness the mountains of remains that the Israelites supposedly left behind? No? Then you can not claim with absolute certainty that they left camp sites in a clutter. The Mosaic law shows a strict law of order such as specific instructions on how to depose of fecal matter in a manner to prevent spread of diseases.

Quote:

This isn't true at all. Of course they were known to record the events, they would just lie about what happened. If an entire race of slaves suddenly up and took off from Egypt, it would be in the record. Of that there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever. Suggestions to the contrary betray an absolutely stunning ignorance of archaeology, Egyptology, and history in general.
So you are suggesting, without any proof shown here that the great Pharaoh, regarded as a god, would be completely honest in a historical record and show an embarrassing defeat? I've read plenty of sources that say otherwise. But hey, I'm no expert in the field, nor claim to be. I do find it interesting though if the Bible is simply myth, why so many accurate details? We see Joseph being sold for 20 pieces of silver which was the price of a slave, Joseph sleeping on a bed which was Egyptian, not Hebrew custom. Then you have even more detailed Egyptian customs like Joseph being shaved, a collar placed on his neck, and a ring.
How come an author hundreds of years later know such facts?

Also, and do excuse my archaeological ignorance here, but isn't the Sinai desert a pretty big place with shifting sands? Even with a large group of people, I would still think you could dig dozens and dozens of holes and still miss buried artifacts. How deep would you dig? Could the artifacts be buried much deeper than the digs and they were missed? Did the archaeologists set up a grid pattern and cover the entire desert? I doubt it.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Really, so you have lived for thousands of years to personally witness the mountains of remains that the Israelites supposedly left behind? No? Then you can not claim with absolute certainty that they left camp sites in a clutter.
Do you honestly believe that material remains don't appear where ancient nomads happen to have been more tidy? Tell me, how much formal archaeological training do you have?

Quote:
The Mosaic law shows a strict law of order such as specific instructions on how to depose of fecal matter in a manner to prevent spread of diseases.
And that has nothing whatsoever to do with what I'm talking about. Food remains, burials, rock formations, petroglyphs, and dozens of other dynamics contribute to material remains attesting to nomadic camp sites. These were not boy scouts, and you do not have camp sites of anywhere near even 10,000 people up and vanishing in the desert. I suggest you go learn something about archaeology and the history of this area before you start speaking authoritatively from your own imagination.

Quote:
So you are suggesting, without any proof shown here that the great Pharaoh, regarded as a god, would be completely honest in a historical record and show an embarrassing defeat?
Did I not just state that they would lie about the outcome? That's what happened with the battle of Kadesh. Everything was described in great detail, only they claimed to have won where the material remains and histories show they lost. You are just making up a factoid. You don't know if it's true or false, it just makes it easier for you to wave your hand and dismiss the evidence.

Quote:
I've read plenty of sources that say otherwise.
Really? Name two.

Quote:
But hey, I'm no expert in the field, nor claim to be.
You are trying to tell me what I am doing wrong, and this happens to be my field, so if you're no expert, stop pretending to be one.

Quote:
I do find it interesting though if the Bible is simply myth, why so many accurate details?
There are far more inaccurate details than accurate details, and there are accurate historical details in a Spider-man comic book. That doesn't mean anything.

Quote:
We see Joseph being sold for 20 pieces of silver which was the price of a slave,
Please cite your source for this.

Quote:
Joseph sleeping on a bed which was Egyptian, not Hebrew custom.
Again, source.

Quote:
Then you have even more detailed Egyptian customs like Joseph being shaved, a collar placed on his neck, and a ring.
Source, please.

Quote:
How come an author hundreds of years later know such facts?
How come there are two demonstrably contradictory accounts of Joseph's sale into Egypt woven into the biblical account?

Quote:
Also, and do excuse my archaeological ignorance here, but isn't the Sinai desert a pretty big place with shifting sands? Even with a large group of people, I would still think you could dig dozens and dozens of holes and still miss buried artifacts.
The Sinai is not a thousand miles of sand dunes. There are places with plenty of sand, but that's not generally where people camp. On the other hand, with a few people, sure. With hundreds, not very likely. With a million, absolutely impossible.

Quote:
How deep would you dig? Could the artifacts be buried much deeper than the digs and they were missed?
Not with anywhere near a million people.

Quote:
Did the archaeologists set up a grid pattern and cover the entire desert? I doubt it.
They don't need to when the text names several places they stopped at. Those places don't show any indication of anywhere near a fraction of the number of people the texts say, and the remains that are there conflict with the accounts. You're obviously not very well read at all in Near Eastern archaeology, so if you're going to be basing all of this on your own a priori assumptions, you're not going to get very far.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
No, you just said "Nu-uh!" to the Acts question, and you've very clearly not had a word to say in response to my corrections of your assumptions regarding Elhanan.
And you are just "yah--huh!!!" to them. And are you telling me you've made NO assumptions?

Seriously? Everyone knows David killed Goliath. Are you THAT naive to suggest that someone would actually make that mistake? Really?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:06 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,048 times
Quote:
And you are just "yah--huh!!!" to them. And are you telling me you've made NO assumptions?
Daniel really hasn't made any assumptions - he has provided textual evidence for every claim he has made. So far you've just said "nah."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality