Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 11:46 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times

Advertisements

One is often stopped by the rather light-headed idea that we cannot have possibly arrived at our current world population and biological diversity based on the "...chance crashing together of a mere two molecules from a mud puddle Imagine: a cat evolving out of the muddy oooze overnight! Silly! All those diverse species cannot have arrived here absent an ID input!"

Then I and others point out simple exponential growth, but I do know that part of math class was often accompanied, for many in the room who also perhaps moved on later to become fundy Christians, to a light snoring sound.

And so here's a great little diagram. Pictures from your Sunday School comic book? I doubt it: this is far too sophisticated for them, plus it makes too embarrassing a point!

If you or your child has a scientific calculator, you can rather easily overload it's abilities (and I'm assuming a god-fearing Christian feels they have more capacity than a good HP or TI calc, yes?) by calculating the result of say, 2^2000 (2 X 2 X 2 X 1998 more times) which would be the lightest number of possible speciations over a few million years.

But... don't forget as well,, after the first, oh 100 or so iterations (a few few months or years at best!), each of those lines take off on THEIR own!

It's staggering, and in fact, it's kind of amazing there aren't even more species, but then there also have to be niches to bargain for, struggle into, or simply overtake by shear force of presence.

Not to mention that we now estimate there have been over 100 million+ species already gone extinct, leaving an estimated 60 - 100 million still here, with new ones forming up daily. Hourly! As you and I converse, POP! Wow, huh? Another one to go out and test itself agin the world at large!!

So the total number IS a bit staggering even to us evolutionarians, but we care not so afraid to use good ol' exponential math (which perhaps God gave us? ) to figure out where they all came from on their own, totally absent supernatural wizardry!

Well there you have it! Please... do enjoy this simple picture! Ponder it as the old year passes and perhaps you will all move into a new-age of open minded natural inquiry.

http://www.crochetinsider.com/sites/...ings%20016.jpg

Last edited by rifleman; 12-31-2012 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 05:38 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
My memory is a little fuzzy but there was a naturalist/philosopher/scientist... Damn, I can't remember...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure he postulated exponential growth with rabbits wondering what the population of a rabbit colony would be after 'X many' days if a rabbit produced offspring at a given rate and so on and so forth. Naturally, the mathematical expression only includes the birth of rabbits and not the death of rabbits.

Don't forget, also, that one of the things that made Lensky's works such a success was the extreme fastidiousness of reproduction of bacteria - reproduction of an asexual nature. However, the genetic diversity of sexual reproduction enables much faster (relatively speaking) genetic diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality