Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:36 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,359,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Actually, that law was more about outlawing pedophilia than gay.
Hardly, although the most acute punishments are for acts of forced homosexuality.

From the article:

"Uganda will pass a new law against homosexuality by the end of 2012 as a "Christmas gift" to its advocates, the speaker of parliament has said.

Homosexual acts are already illegal in Uganda, but the bill which is before parliament proposes tougher sentences for people convicted.

The bill, tabled by MP David Bahati, proposes jail terms for homosexual acts, including a life sentence in certain circumstances.

It prohibits the "promotion" of gay rights and calls for the punishment of anyone who "funds or sponsors homosexuality" or "abets homosexuality".

But a clause which calls for the death penalty against people found guilty of "aggravated homosexuality" - defined as when one of the participants is a minor, HIV-positive, disabled or a "serial offender" - is to be dropped, Mr Bahati has said.

"Ugandans want that law as a Christmas gift. They have asked for it and we'll give them that gift," Ms Kadaga is quoted as saying.

In June, Uganda's Minister for Ethics and Integrity Simon Lokodo said 38 non-governmental organisations which he accused of promoting homosexuality would be banned.

Correspondents say many Ugandans are deeply conservative, and say homosexuality is against their religious and cultural beliefs.
"

You really, really need to bone up on your reading comprehension skills.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,282,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Hardly, although the most acute punishments are for acts of forced homosexuality.

From the article:

"Uganda will pass a new law against homosexuality by the end of 2012 as a "Christmas gift" to its advocates, the speaker of parliament has said.

Homosexual acts are already illegal in Uganda, but the bill which is before parliament proposes tougher sentences for people convicted.

The bill, tabled by MP David Bahati, proposes jail terms for homosexual acts, including a life sentence in certain circumstances.

It prohibits the "promotion" of gay rights and calls for the punishment of anyone who "funds or sponsors homosexuality" or "abets homosexuality".

But a clause which calls for the death penalty against people found guilty of "aggravated homosexuality" - defined as when one of the participants is a minor, HIV-positive, disabled or a "serial offender" - is to be dropped, Mr Bahati has said.

"Ugandans want that law as a Christmas gift. They have asked for it and we'll give them that gift," Ms Kadaga is quoted as saying.

In June, Uganda's Minister for Ethics and Integrity Simon Lokodo said 38 non-governmental organisations which he accused of promoting homosexuality would be banned.

Correspondents say many Ugandans are deeply conservative, and say homosexuality is against their religious and cultural beliefs.
"

You really, really need to bone up on your reading comprehension skills.
So pedophilia and rape. Not a lot to do with a faaaaaaaabulous loving couple playing house down the street.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:45 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,359,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
IMO Atheism is not the norm. Therefore a mental abberation.
Atheism is the default state. Everyone is born without a belief in invisible supernatural entities. We come to those beliefs through cultural norms.

This is why, typically, a person from, say, India who is prone to religiosity will become Hindu, a similar person from the Middle East will likely become Muslim, a person from the Western World will likely become Christian. It ain't mystical.

Even if the majority of people on Earth still believe in invisible supernatural beings, that means nothing. Becuae a concept is populr does not make it valid. The vast majority of people used to think the Earth was the center of the universe. The vast majority of people once believed that when a person had a physical or mental illness, they were possssed by demons. The vast majority of people once believed that if a volcano erupted or there was a flood or a massive crop failure, it was because some gods got angry.

People have always believed all kinds of superstitious nonsense.

Quote:
But I don't advocate locking them up or giving them treatment to make them normal (defined as how most people are).
Nor do most believers (I believe) advocate locking up nonbelievers. Nor do most nonbelievers (I believe) advocate locking up believers. Glad we settled that.

Quote:
I should add that most mentally ill people feel they are sane and the rest of the world is mad.

My user name hints at my profession. I partly deal with 5150 types.
I've worked for years in social services, with the develoopmentaly disabled but also with the mentally ill. The majority of severely mentally ill people I've encountered have a deep religious fixation. Just sayin'.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,597,997 times
Thread is closed for lack of any informative , productive or friendly debate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality