Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 04:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,282,833 times

Advertisements

There is the religion of peace for ya.

Muslim radio station fined for saying gay people should be tortured - Telegraph

Old 01-02-2013, 04:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,339,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
And there's a dung-disturbing thread by a pot calling on a kettle....

Old 01-02-2013, 04:14 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,262,716 times
Christianity is no better:

BBC News - Uganda to pass anti-gay law as 'Christmas gift'

Old 01-02-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Actually, that law was more about outlawing pedophilia than gay.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,359,740 times
Christianity is no better, no worse. Especially if viewed through the lense of history.

But religious zealots of any stripe are likely to spew hateful, ignorant, fearful, bigoted BS and nonsense. It's been a hallmark of the darker side of religion forever.

Baptist pastor Charles Worley calls for gays and lesbians to be put in an electrified pen and left to ultimately die off. "Build a great, big, large fence -- 150 or 100 miles long -- put all the lesbians in there," Worley suggests. "Do the same thing for the queers and the homosexuals and have that fence electrified so they can't get out...

Oklahoma State Representative Sally Kern, the wife of a Baptist pastor, is on record as saying gays are worse than terrorists, and are like a cancer on our society, and should be "dealt with." She was greeted with a standing ovation shortly after making her remarks in the Oklahoma House of Representatives.

There are many other anti gay remakes that our religious leaders make that are the same thing as WBC spews. Things such as "Homesexuals are not welcomed in the Kingdom of Heaven" Same thing as "God Hates _ags"

There are many hateful things religious leaders say.

Fortunately, the vast majority of believers around the world--including Christians and Muslims--are intelligent, reasonable, kind, compassionate people.

Most Muslims aren't any more inclined to blow up innocent people than the average Christian is inclined to be a hateful, KKK-style bigot.

Those people are the fringe flakes--the zealots. I don't feel they are indicative of their faiths as a whole body of believers.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,613,274 times
Secularism is no better

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
This law is more about Ugandan culture that Christianity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Those people are the fringe flakes--the zealots. I don't feel they are indicative of their faiths as a whole body of believers.
Yep.

I've actually read where some atheists would desire to lock up theists in mental institiutions. Even send them to "re-education" camps. In some cases kill them if they failed to renouce God.

Hate is a human trait. Has nothing to do with religion. The actions of Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot (to name a few) is evidence enough.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:17 PM

753 posts, read 730,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Actually, that law was more about outlawing pedophilia than gay.
Feel free to actually inform yourself (or, alternately, quit lying).

The bill in question involves life imprisonment for consensual homosexual activity between adults -- that has precisely nothing at all to do with pedophilia.

Here -- quit being so pathetically ignorant (or blatantly dishonest) and get a clue:
Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, all of this is irrelevant to you. You blithely dismiss oppression of homosexuals by a Christian state, yet insist that one Muslim speaks for the entire religion.

You can't even peddle propaganda without appearing an idiot.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:20 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,359,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I've actually read where some atheists would desire to lock up theists in mental institiutions. Even send them to "re-education" camps. In some cases kill them if they failed to renouce God.
Well, I've never heard anything so vociferous from any atheists, but that's not saying it has never happened. There are over-zealous atheists too, I'm sure. And they are likewise in the minority...the fringe.

Quote:
Hate is a human trait. Has nothing to do with religion. The actions of Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot (to name a few) is evidence enough.
Hate is a human trait, but religion has often through the centuries and across cultures been used as a justification for hate and hateful acts.

Someone once said "There will always be good people who do good things, and bad people who do bad things; but for a good person to do bad things--that takes religion.

I also don't consider the action of people like Stalin and Pol Pot to be motivated by their secular natures. In fact, I would argue that they simply replaced the religious impulse with a Cult of Personality--painting themselves and The State in an almost "holy" religious light--think of the iconic posters of Stalin and Mao...very religious in basic orientation.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
Feel free to actually inform yourself (or, alternately, quit lying).

The bill in question involves life imprisonment for consensual homosexual activity between adults -- that has precisely nothing at all to do with pedophilia.

Here -- quit being so pathetically ignorant (or blatantly dishonest) and get a clue:
Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, all of this is irrelevant to you. You blithely dismiss oppression of homosexuals by a Christian state, yet insist that one Muslim speaks for the entire religion.

You can't even peddle propaganda without appearing an idiot.
Did you read the article?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,613,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Well, I've never heard anything so vociferous from any atheists, but that's not saying it has never happened. There are over-zealous atheists too, I'm sure. And they are likewise in the minority...the fringe.

Theism is a mind disorder. - YouTube

Is religion a mental illness? : Theism • Rational Skepticism Forum

If theism is a mental illness, should insurance companies have to pay for theists who seek rehab? | The Rational Response Squad

Just three of a 1000.

IMO Atheism is not the norm. Therefore a mental abberation. But I don't advocate locking them up or giving them treatment to make them normal (defined as how most people are). I should add that most mentally ill people feel they are sane and the rest of the world is mad.

My user name hints at my profession. I partly deal with 5150 types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality