Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 02:34 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

BOSTON - Sabrina Rahim doesn't practice any particular faith, but she had no problem signing a letter declaring that because of her deeply held religious beliefs, her 4-year-old son should be exempt from the vaccinations required to enter preschool.

Parents use religion to avoid vaccines (OneNewsNow.com) (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 04:07 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
And your point?

With studies linking autism to mercury used in vaccinations, do you blame her? Whatever means she can use to get her ends.

If you're saying the problem is that she is not religious, I see it every day in "religious" people who do what they want, are as mean, hateful and judgmental as they want to be and claim they are saved.

At least this woman admits it.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:41 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
I wanted to delay my daughter's MMR vax, but because she is in state regulated daycare, the state requires that she be fully vaxed on schedule to attend. We have only medical or religious exemption here. It was suggested to me that I could lie and get a religious exemption, but I did not feel comfortable doing that. It felt like lying about something too important. However, my feelings about the vax were not terribly strong. If I felt that the vax would truely hurt my daughter, I guess I probably would lie too. Really, wouldn't most people tell that lie if they felt that to not do so would truely hurt their child? I know people who have children with severe delays/ disabilities that they feel were caused by vaccines and they have refused to vax since then with their subsequent children. I can't blame them for lying for a religious exemption. I wish we just had a philosophical exemption or conscientious objector status or something, so that people wouldn't feel like they had to lie about their religious beliefs to protect their children.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:56 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And your point?

With studies linking autism to mercury used in vaccinations, do you blame her? Whatever means she can use to get her ends.
The only problem is there are no studies that actually link autism to vaccines....

Old 10-22-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
The only problem is there are no studies that actually link autism to vaccines....
Or at least not any that haven't been discredited...

BUT, there are things other than autism that scare parents away from vaxing too.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:51 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
I'm not a big fan of vaccinations myself. I do think that there are certain vaccinations that small children should get: Polio, Yellow Fever, and Typhoid. But, they have a booster shot for everything, a vaccine for everything, I can't stand it. The flu shot is another one I refuse to get.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:51 PM

157 posts, read 624,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I wanted to delay my daughter's MMR vax, but because she is in state regulated daycare, the state requires that she be fully vaxed on schedule to attend. We have only medical or religious exemption here. It was suggested to me that I could lie and get a religious exemption, but I did not feel comfortable doing that. It felt like lying about something too important. However, my feelings about the vax were not terribly strong. If I felt that the vax would truely hurt my daughter, I guess I probably would lie too. Really, wouldn't most people tell that lie if they felt that to not do so would truely hurt their child? I know people who have children with severe delays/ disabilities that they feel were caused by vaccines and they have refused to vax since then with their subsequent children. I can't blame them for lying for a religious exemption. I wish we just had a philosophical exemption or conscientious objector status or something, so that people wouldn't feel like they had to lie about their religious beliefs to protect their children.
Unless I'm not up with the times it seems to me that the decision to have your child vaxed should ultimately be the decision of the parents without having to bring religion into it. They have waiver forms that can be signed by parents even though schools say that your child can't attend unless they have them, they will still accept your child in the schools as long as they have the signed form. Just stating for heath reasons or issues you are not having your child vaxed should be sufficient for their records.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbee View Post
Unless I'm not up with the times it seems to me that the decision to have your child vaxed should ultimately be the decision of the parents without having to bring religion into it. They have waiver forms that can be signed by parents even though schools say that your child can't attend unless they have them, they will still accept your child in the schools as long as they have the signed form. Just stating for heath reasons or issues you are not having your child vaxed should be sufficient for their records.
The laws differ by state. Here in NC, we only have a medical exemption or a religious exemption. We do not have the philosophical exemption that many other states have, which is what you are suggesting. A medical exemption would be that your child is immunocomprimized or allergic to a vaccine component or something like that and is provided by the doctor, not the parent. A religious exemption would be for people who do not believe in medical interventions or things like that. I wish that we all had a philosophical exemption as an option too, but we do not here. That is why people feel forced to lie about their religious beliefs on the forms. Another option would be to homeschool, and then you don't have to worry about it at all.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:07 PM

157 posts, read 624,235 times
Quote:
The laws differ by state. Here in NC, we only have a medical exemption or a religious exemption. We do not have the philosophical exemption that many other states have, which is what you are suggesting. A medical exemption would be that your child is immunocomprimized or allergic to a vaccine component or something like that and is provided by the doctor, not the parent. A religious exemption would be for people who do not believe in medical interventions or things like that. I wish that we all had a philosophical exemption as an option too, but we do not here. That is why people feel forced to lie about their religious beliefs on the forms. Another option would be to homeschool, and then you don't have to worry about it at all.
What a bummer!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Or at least not any that haven't been discredited...

BUT, there are things other than autism that scare parents away from vaxing too.
Personally I don't understand the fear of vacinating. What I do think though is that they give too many at one time...why does your one year old need 5 vacinations on one day...they don't and I never held to the exact schedule because I thought it was too overwhelming. But I also had no problem bringing them back once a month to get the shots done so they had them in time for school. Not vacinating your children doesn't only protect your own child (which is the biggest reason to do it) but it protects children who may not be able to be vacinated (to me all children are important) and therefore is the right thing to do if you are sending your children into a school environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality