Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 04:44 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
I am grown up, and I have a life. I'm a married homeowner with a high-tech career, and I've smoked pot regularly since 1975.
Good for you.

I know that I, in my adult life, have never, ever been at a point where my most entertaining or enriching option of activity was to smoke pot. I have too many other things to do that are far more enjoyable, so even if pot-smoking were legal, it's not something I'd ever find appealing.

I suppose for you it's different, where there are regularly times in your life where your preferred choice of activity is to smoke pot. I'm sorry you don't have any more alluring options, as I do. I hope smoking it helps you forget your misery for a brief time. Good luck with that.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Apparently, where Johnny is from a lot of young children smoke pot. Slumber parties and pot, for Johnny.
Yes, where I'm from teens smoke pot. I'm from this place called "the USA".

Old 06-29-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gieseghj View Post
Thank you for proving our point. Marijuana users have a right by God to stand up to their government and demand a change!
I didn't make or prove that point at all.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
The Catholic Church disagrees with you. You should read the Vatican's report about drugs.

Marijuana users have a right, given to them by God, to oppose and stand up against the laws of Man against His plants.
There is no such Catholic or Vatican report on drugs. Marijuana abusers do not have a right to break any laws, according to God's Word.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Then let's see these studies..

Please show them..

And make sure you look at the study and not just the press release for it..

The one about tar? PR was from NIDA.. The study shows that marijuana use is not linked to cancers of the lung as it implies with its tar rate.. And also is contradicted by foreign studies that don't use garbage weed that is freeze dried for years before being used..

And don't be surprised when we pick your studies apart because they have sample sizes 1/10th the size of others.
Marijuana Linked to Heart Disease and Depression - US News and World Report

Marijuana Said to Trigger Heart Attacks

Cannabis bigger cancer risk than cigarettes: study | Health | Reuters

BBC NEWS | Health | Cannabis smoke 'has more toxins' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7150274.stm - broken link)

There are the press releases. I can see the game you want to play, but I'm not biting; I'm not getting baited into typical pot-head irrationality, it's a waste of time. Enjoy the articles, try not to have too closed a mind. Don't worry, the memory loss you suffer will cause you to forget how upset you are within a short time of reading the disturbing information.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Well since everyone else has already proven all your other statements in there to be false I figure I will take this one and introduce you to Irvin Rosenfeld, an individual who receives marijuana from YOUR tax dollars. And if he didn't have it, he would be dead right now due to bone growths that only marijuana has been able to stop.

But you are right. He shouldn't use it. And just die.
I have no problem with anyone using medical marijuana, legally. This thread is about the illegal, recreational abuse of marijuana. Furthermore, this thread is about said abuse in the context of a Christian's walk with God. Go back andd re-read the OP if you don't believe me.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
The masses all get off on something just the same way. Everything is this way. We're supposed to eat Happy meals to feel good, and if we get this new car, we'll feel good, if we eat these cookies we'll be just like the smiling people on the box. This new pair of jeans will make us feel good. Think of how many things out there are consumed "because it feels good"...

I'm not trying to change your mind about marijuana, hate it all you want, but there is a lot more in this overdone and abused feel good boat than grass...
For one thing, not everything "the masses" do is acceptable to God, from a Christian perspective, even if it's something legal. So, "because it feels good" is not the Christian's measure of what activities are acceptable unto God.

When it comes to doing things that "feel good", as Christians we are to first be sure what ever we do is glorifying to God.

Does it glorify God to eat foods we like? As long as we are eating in a way that is responsible to our health we are glorifying God, so our enjoyment is a blessing for us.

Does it glorify God to put on a new pair of jeans? As long as we are dressing in a way that is in accord with His Will, then our enjoyment of the new clothing is a blessing from Him.

The thing is, one can eat cookies, buy a new car, put on new jeans, or eat good food in a way that is in line with God's Will; but one cannot abuse or illegally use marijuana in a way that is in line with God's Will. Therefore, to the OP's point, abusing marijuana (that is, using it illegally and/or recreationally) is not something a Christian can do in accord with God's Will, and therefore he ought not smoke it.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:51 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
For one thing, not everything "the masses" do is acceptable to God, from a Christian perspective, even if it's something legal. So, "because it feels good" is not the Christian's measure of what activities are acceptable unto God.

When it comes to doing things that "feel good", as Christians we are to first be sure what ever we do is glorifying to God.

Does it glorify God to eat foods we like? As long as we are eating in a way that is responsible to our health we are glorifying God, so our enjoyment is a blessing for us.

Does it glorify God to put on a new pair of jeans? As long as we are dressing in a way that is in accord with His Will, then our enjoyment of the new clothing is a blessing from Him.

The thing is, one can eat cookies, buy a new car, put on new jeans, or eat good food in a way that is in line with God's Will; but one cannot abuse or illegally use marijuana in a way that is in line with God's Will. Therefore, to the OP's point, abusing marijuana (that is, using it illegally and/or recreationally) is not something a Christian can do in accord with God's Will, and therefore he ought not smoke it.
And I very much agree with most of what you say here. Just because these things make us feel good should not be the measure of what ought to be done. While one can eat cookies, buy a new car and all these things that you list in accordance with god's will, these things can also, and often are carried out in a way contrary and out of line from god's will. Jay lenno's car collection, the fattest man in the world, Pari's Hilton's closet... are these things in line with god's will?

I was simply remarking that if you are so against these types of things (using it just because it makes us feel good) then you should be equally condemning of fast food, tobacco, gawdy clothing collections, fake breasts and so on.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:01 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Seems as though this thread is heading down a path leading to inflammatory and combative remarks, before it gets there I'm closing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality