Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:51 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,809 times

Advertisements

It is important this season that we don't forget the true meaning of Easter. Sometimes it really does get buried underneath these holiday masses, church services, and bunch of stuff about Christ rising.

When you open those eggs with your kids, and eat of the festival of rebirth you are far closer to the meaning of the season than any . . .paint that the Catholic church put on this house that is Easter

Ä’ostre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bunnies, Eggs, all of this came from the Germanic goddess. . .. so break open a piece of chocolate, and honor the true reason for the season!

Oh - and I did love the depecition of the easter goddess in Neil Gaman's American Gods (American Gods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Happy Ēostre !!!!!!!!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-31-2013 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: hotlinking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,097,596 times
Goes even further back than that. Read: Tales of Nisan re: Passover

Old 03-31-2013, 09:17 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Who knew bunnies fly!!!

Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
The meaning of Easter is not the same for everyone.
Leave it at that.

Celebrate it as YOU want to but don't go around telling people how they should celebrate it or what they should be thinking of today.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:26 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The meaning of Easter is not the same for everyone.
Leave it at that.

Celebrate it as YOU want to but don't go around telling people how they should celebrate it or what they should be thinking of today.
Indeed. The Saxons had their 'Estre' fertility God with eggs and rabbits (both symbolizing fertility), but Jesus Christ was crucified and resurrected around the Jewish passover, which is also in the spring. Everyone is free to celebrate either the pagan gods, Jesus Christ, or the Jewish exodus from Egypt.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:07 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Indeed. The Saxons had their 'Estre' fertility God with eggs and rabbits (both symbolizing fertility), but Jesus Christ was crucified and resurrected around the Jewish passover, which is also in the spring. Everyone is free to celebrate either the pagan gods, Jesus Christ, or the Jewish exodus from Egypt.
Fine. I celebrate the one based in nature, where the eggs were buried to give fertility to the land. And bunnies are also (for good reason if you've ever had a boy and girl bunny in the same place and time) a symbol of renewal and fertility. The pagan celebration should be at the spring equinox, actually.

But if you are celebrating the marterdome of a christan god, why have eggs and bunnies if that isn't what its about? Doesn't that seem in appropriate?

When I was a kid we dressed up in frilly dresses (hate frilly dresses now and did then too) and would plant some flowers in honor of spring. They'd go to church sometimes but neither parent was much for that. Best part was the whole family at Grandma's and her turn at the ham. Aside from the frilly dresses I have good memories but none of them revolve around a dead Jesus.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:10 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Default This Easter (Ēostre), don't forget the true meaning of the Holiday

It's the return of spring, with all the attendant symbolism of rebirth.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Fine. I celebrate the one based in nature, where the eggs were buried to give fertility to the land. And bunnies are also (for good reason if you've ever had a boy and girl bunny in the same place and time) a symbol of renewal and fertility. The pagan celebration should be at the spring equinox, actually.

But if you are celebrating the marterdome of a christan god, why have eggs and bunnies if that isn't what its about? Doesn't that seem in appropriate?
I don't celebrate with eggs and bunnies, although I don't see anything wrong with it, as I do not equate it with pagan god worship.

You are correct about the rabbit. It is used as a symbol of fertility because rabbits are very fertile. They multiply like......rabbits, and yes, in the spring.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:52 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
It is important this season that we don't forget the true meaning of Easter. Sometimes it really does get buried underneath these holiday masses, church services, and bunch of stuff about Christ rising.

When you open those eggs with your kids, and eat of the festival of rebirth you are far closer to the meaning of the season than any . . .paint that the Catholic church put on this house that is Easter

Ä’ostre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bunnies, Eggs, all of this came from the Germanic goddess. . .. so break open a piece of chocolate, and honor the true reason for the season!

Oh - and I did love the depecition of the easter goddess in Neil Gaman's American Gods (American Gods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Happy Ēostre !!!!!!!!
Easter is linked with passover, an entirely Jewish holy day. During this time, Christians celebrate the resurrection of Jesus while Jews celebrate the sparing of the first born, the passing over. Just because a holiday is transformed from one belief to another, doesn't mean the latter also inherits the meaning.
Just as Christmas isn't the actual season of the birth of Jesus, the meaning is still clear for Christians.

You can make the case that these holidays are bastardized, but the customs only made their way into the holidays as a way to bring pagans into the monotheistic religions. The meanings were changed entirely, though some of the symbols remain (trees, wreaths, gifts, eggs, bunnies...etc.)

These origins are interesting for history sake, nitpicking and petty for ulterior motives. The holidays mean whatever they mean to the people celebrating them. I rest on Sunday, I don't worship to sun.

Happy Easter

Old 03-31-2013, 03:21 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This is why I don't celebrate any day other than New Year's Day (and eve) and Friday the 13th. I always take the day off for Friday the 13th for personal partying.

Oh yeah, and July 4th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality