Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:03 AM

72 posts, read 196,408 times

Advertisements

The end of freedom

I am shackled hand and foot spread eagle on the floor of my cell. I ask my jailer everyday to set me free. Finally he compassionately sets me free.

For days I am exhilarated with the ability to freely pace about my cell. After a few weeks I begin to beg my jailer to set me free. After weeks he, being a compassionate man, sets me free from my cell.

For days I am exhilarated at the freedom to wonder about and speak with other inmates. After several weeks I begin to beg my jailer to free me and finally he relents and releases me from jail. I am overwhelmed with the sense of freedom until I, overcome with hunger and basic needs, seek some work so as to feed myself.

I find a job working on an assembly line and am exhilarated at the new found freedom. After a year I begin to seek other less strenuous and repetitive assembly line work. I wish to free myself from this robotic work I do everyday.

What is the ‘telos’ (ultimate end) of this series of ever persistent desire for freedom? Is hunger for freedom similar to hunger for food, never satiated? I don’t think so. I think the search for freedom can culminate in an ultimate and satisfying end.

Freedom, I suspect, is a search for self-determination. When we feel that we are master of our domain, when we are free to determine who we are and what we need to be our self we will have reached that ‘telos’ of freedom. I suspect this end is as unique as a finger print; it is an act of creation and can be made conscious to me only by me.

I think each of us must learn for our self what we need to secure freedom’s ‘telos’. Probably most of us find only a degree of freedom, but if we never stop looking we may continue finding more of it.

I think our degree of possible freedom is directly proportional to our degree of self-actualization. Self-actualization is a process of extending our horizons based upon our own unique potential. The further we can see the greater is our horizon for freedom.

Do you think self-actualization has any impact on the nature of freedom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 11:22 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coberst View Post
[font=Times New Roman]

Yes, of course.
Does our potential self-actualization have a limit? If so, then why?
Is there ever total freedom?

Old 11-06-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Yes, of course.
Does our potential self-actualization have a limit? If so, then why?
Is there ever total freedom?
In a practical sense our self-actualization can continue until we finally die. There is no finish to self-actualization and freedom has no limit except our ability ti realize it.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:27 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
In a practical sense our self-actualization can continue until we finally die. There is no finish to self-actualization and freedom has no limit except our ability ti realize it.
So freedom is quantifiable and also infinite.
How can I tell how free and self-actualized I am?

Old 11-06-2007, 02:27 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Nah. Self-actualization strikes me as a fancy term therapists use for navel-gazing selfishness. In the end, it doesn't make us free, only more content in our prison.

True freedom comes not from satisfying your self, but from joining the world around you and helping others.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:57 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
There is such a thing as the "myth of mastery" for human beings, such as that (mastery of Adam over nature) presented in the Book of Genesis.

'Freedom' is a relative term, of course. Your freedom diminishes as the size of your encompassing society increases. So your maximum sense of freedom is relative to the size of your social environment.

In some non-Western cultures, the American conception of 'freedom' is interpreted as a mental illness of radical self-centeredness.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:49 AM

Self knowledge is the essence of self-actualization. Freedom and self-actualization feed upon one another. The more freedom we have the more likely we are to self-actualize and as we do we gain more freedom. They share a symbiotic relationship.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:14 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Self knowledge is the essence of self-actualization. Freedom and self-actualization feed upon one another. The more freedom we have the more likely we are to self-actualize and as we do we gain more freedom. They share a symbiotic relationship.
And yet I wonder: would it be possible for one to self actualize even within the most limiting and restrictive of environments? Are these two concepts truly symbiotic in their relationship?

Old 11-07-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
And yet I wonder: would it be possible for one to self actualize even within the most limiting and restrictive of environments? Are these two concepts truly symbiotic in their relationship?
You are correct. When freedom is restricted so is self-actualization.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:11 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Yet to what extent is self actualization an inner oriented process which takes place in the mind, irrespective of personal freedoms.

Victor Frankl clearly spoke of those ways in which he managed to find meaning in life, irrespective of the most horrific surroundings imaginable. I don't know whether he would necessarily have referred to it as being "self actualization," but he did go on to forumlate an awfully good theory about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality