Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:37 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,699,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
God has revealed himself. He spoke directly through prophets, and he gave us 66 books. You are correct, in that he does exist--and you can know that by what you see around you. If you can't see that God exists by what he's given us, you aren't going to believe in him if he stands in front of you and say "Hi".

The only question is if you're going to understand who he is, or if you're going to continue to worship the created instead of the creation.

Preacher, I do understand who it is that I believe in and I cannot believe in your Christian God. I believe in the Creator, the one who created all of us and everything around us and beyond, The Creator of the Universe, the Creator that I communicate with everyday and have for my entire life. The one that has given me the wisdom and understanding of this life and the next.

Doesn't compute. He's already spoken through the Bible. I am not going to change my view of that according to what some internet guy says.

But the words he has spoken may possibly have been interpreted in the wrong way by man and by those who would not have understood what your God was saying. Your sacred book has been interpreted into many different languages from its original interpretation and in the process some words change and lose meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 03:41 PM

10,260 posts, read 21,848,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
God doesn't hide his existence from me.
That's because you're special.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:43 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,382,447 times
Says you.

http://www.cnemay.com/images/ctanw-081.jpg

An everyday comb. Someone made this, no?

How did they make it? By cutting down a tree.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-Yggdrasil.jpg

An everyday tree, right? (Wrong) It came from a seed, which required water and sun, and conditions just so to come about. Which in turn came from a seed, which came from a seed, which came from a seed. Where did the first seed come from?

Mundane objects all around exist, and not only that, they live. We see them there, and think nothing of them. It's not that they were created, or whether God is real or not, it's that we have proof that all these things are here already. So no, that's different from a unicorn.

This would be closer to me saying, "How do I know you're real? With a unicorn, at least, I have a picture, where you don't have an avvie or anything." The answer is, that on this website, you're there responding with me. We know things are so, because they have an effect on you. That I get hot and bothered and argue with you is proof.

Back to the comb. Suppose people stopped making combs, would that make an impact of you? Yea, you'd get interesting hair all of a sudden.

If as I say, God Is, this means sudden failure to exist would have a whole hell of a lot more of an impact that just mullets. Think, sudden entropy, and you have a partial picture.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:39 PM

995 posts, read 961,094 times
God talks to me through the deities. I ask God questions, and any one of a gazillion spirits in Heaven answers me in it's own unique way, revealing things in it's own unique way. God is way beyond the realm of religion. The whole topic of Religion is kind of petty, really. "Love me and this particular spirit, and no one else" is ridiculous. It blinds people to Heaven. I find it amazing how Moses made it a commandment to not love or be guided by the spirits in Heaven, or be inspired by them. The OT wants to make people feel guilty for communicating to God in this way. But it is God's way. Every character in every book ever created(real or fiction) is a deity to whom you have the choice of loving, of taking to influence. God is VERY much pro-polytheistic. When God wants me to do something, he sends me the spirit to encourage me, guide me, and above all inspire me. One of the most incredible and beautiful visions I have ever had was of the Rider. And here I am today on this site as a result. I had a vision of Mormonism, and it inspired me to research it. I try to always stay open to the spirit, and over the years I have established a relationship with it. Have a dream of a cool looking jacket, and the next day, I go out and buy that jacket to pay homage to the spirit. Let God know I am listening. That is how you bring the spirit into the world, and give it life. You let it inspire you into action. I very much believe in prophecy and talking directly to God. But that is me.

Last edited by Rider's Pantheon; 06-27-2013 at 05:11 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 04:43 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,284,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
Why he? Why not they? Why not it? Why God? Why not aliens? Why not demons? Why not unicorns?
Good question. Nature doesn't answer that. For that we have the Bible. God's history with his people is recorded in it.
Quote:

Whether or not it "inspires" you is irrelevant. Organic chemistry does not "inspire" me, but I don't question its truthfulness.

What caused God?

We can both play this game.
If you want to believe something caused God, fine. What caused the cause? Or the cause of the cause of the cause? At some point there had to be an uncaused cause.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:58 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,998,918 times
Quote:
He created the universe and it testifies to his existence. In times of old he spoke to man through prophets. He gave us 66 books collected into a Bible. His church is alive and well today.

What more do you want?
read on the history of your religion there are more than 66 books that were canonized by the Church and others rejected

Amazon.com: Lost Books of the Bible: The Great Rejected Texts (9781933580661): Joseph B. Lumpkin: Books

Old 06-27-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Good question. Nature doesn't answer that. For that we have the Bible. God's history with his people is recorded in it.

If you want to believe something caused God, fine. What caused the cause? Or the cause of the cause of the cause? At some point there had to be an uncaused cause.

The Bible is an abomination of God. It is perverse in the most evil of ways you can imagine. It frames God as the one committing horrible evil acts. Moses commits the terroristic horrors, and frames God for it. It is the worst curse and damnation mankind has ever suffered from.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:07 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,341,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
The Bible is an abomination of God. It is perverse in the most evil of ways you can imagine. It frames God as the one committing horrible evil acts. Moses commits the terroristic horrors, and frames God for it. It is the worst curse and damnation mankind has ever suffered from.
Whether one or not, you burn with the fire of a prophet, my friend.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

I would never take to influence the attitude towards miracles from the Prophets. I have always been from the beginning, a disciple of Tibetan Buddhism, who teaches to not be fooled by them. For many years I have always struggled in trying to figure out what the heck phenomenon I am, until I had a vision about a year ago of the Buddha(Actually, it was Dali Lama) yelling at me saying "Remember, you are not a prophet! You are a Buddha!" And he is right. My attitude towards the supernatural, miracles and towards all things spiritual come from The Tibetan Book Of The Dead. That is who I am. That is where I come from. That is where I try to strive towards, attitude wise. Not always successfully. I am living out the philosophy of that book. That book is life eternal.

Last edited by Rider's Pantheon; 06-27-2013 at 06:56 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

The attitude of the prophets is that, whoever performs the bestest of miracles gets to rule with an iron fist. Anyone who can perform miracles is God himself to whom no one should NOT love and respect, regardless of the horrible evils they commit. The attitude of the Buddha is that teachers of Buddhism should never use miracles to convert people, as it makes people follow blindly, but to instead use reason. Attitude. It's all in the attitude. Sorry if I digresss off topic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality