Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:05 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,421 times

Advertisements

I am curious to see how many believe what.

Do you believe that there are people/beings on other planets?

And that they communicate with us through our mind?

And that sometimes people think that they talk to angels or God, but they are actually talking to those people/beings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 12:14 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,580 times
Why would "those beings" and what we call angels necessarily be different?

Old 07-09-2013, 01:01 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,377,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
Do you believe that there are people/beings on other planets?
It is not that I believe there is, so much as I recognize the probability that there is is quite high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
And that they communicate with us through our mind?
I see literally zero evidence, argument, data or reasoning to lend such a claim even a modicum of credence.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:07 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,011,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
It is not that I believe there is, so much as I recognize the probability that there is is quite high.

I see literally zero evidence, argument, data or reasoning to lend such a claim even a modicum of credence.
Well, they could have telepathy with each other (think collective mind), but just not with us. There is always that.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:39 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,377,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Well, they could have telepathy with each other (think collective mind), but just not with us. There is always that.
I would not rule it out as impossible but I would certainly be surprised by it if we discovered it.

Does not appear to be what the OP was asking though. The idea that telepathy over such distances would be possible, or that they have any interest or ability in targeting us with it's use, all appear to be an unsubstantiated nonsense to me.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,801 times
There is no doubt in my mind that life exists on other worlds out there. The numbers are just too staggering for it not to happen somewhere else. Billions of stars in our galaxy. And billions of galaxies each with billions of stars. The universe is really to big for our minds to understand. The closest star (other than the sun) is light years away. And there are billions upon billions upon billions of them out there. The distances are just too vast that the likelyhood of us running into these other life forms is extremely minimal.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:34 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
Intelligent beings elsewhere in the universe? Yes, extremely likely.

Who speak to us telepathically? No. There is no solid evidence for telepathy, and if it is a physical phenomenon, would be subject to the inverse square law of energy propagation, so too weak to reach us.

Or are angels or god? No, emphatically.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:02 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Intelligent life somewhere in the universe is quite likely, but probably rare enough and scattered enough that we'd be very unlikely to encounter it. An even smaller percentage of such life would be spacefaring or even technological, and an even smaller percentage would have any kind of interstellar reach. Then there is the problem that even if we encountered an alien, that their appearance / environmental needs / awareness / sentience / communication methods would be so different that we might well not even recognize them as living things.

There's a fun Star Trek episode about this, where miners were throwing away what they thought were junk crystalline structures in the way of whatever they were trying to get at, not realizing they were colonies of intelligent beings. When they figured out how to interface with them via computer translation, their comment about humans was, "Ugly. Very ugly bags of mostly water!" A similar episode from the original classic series had miners not recognizing that they were unwittingly tunneling through living intelligent rock.

Even if aliens were telepathic, they are too far away for any real-time interaction.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:08 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Can't really say I believe. But I think it probable that other life exists. What a thrill it would be to be alive when/if undeniable contact is established!

Old 07-09-2013, 03:01 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,823,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Intelligent life somewhere in the universe is quite likely, but probably rare enough and scattered enough that we'd be very unlikely to encounter it. An even smaller percentage of such life would be spacefaring or even technological, and an even smaller percentage would have any kind of interstellar reach. Then there is the problem that even if we encountered an alien, that their appearance / environmental needs / awareness / sentience / communication methods would be so different that we might well not even recognize them as living things.

There's a fun Star Trek episode about this, where miners were throwing away what they thought were junk crystalline structures in the way of whatever they were trying to get at, not realizing they were colonies of intelligent beings. When they figured out how to interface with them via computer translation, their comment about humans was, "Ugly. Very ugly bags of mostly water!" A similar episode from the original classic series had miners not recognizing that they were unwittingly tunneling through living intelligent rock.

Even if aliens were telepathic, they are too far away for any real-time interaction.
"The Devil in the Dark. The rock wasn't living, the Horta was alive and made tunnels, eventually working with the miners. Star Trek Devil in the Dark, The
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality