Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 03:48 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,370,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Yes. My mothers side were Conservative Jewish. The way we believed Jesus was the Messiah was the study of Torah and Christian Bible, as well as reading about early Christians (who were all Jews) and how it started, and why people accepted Christ and some didn't. Very long research and process. I was fascinated how billions of people today believe Jesus is the Messiah, while only 14 millon Jewish people today do not. I studied about the Messianic prophecies, and read the gospels of Christ, his life and death.
Very interesting. You're a very rare bird indeed, as Jews normally find the study of Jesus and Chrstianity about as appealing as cannibalism (I truly don't mean that as an insult - just an observation), and yet you somehow crossed the forbidden barrier and went to the other side. I know you do not agree, but I know you are indeed aware that 99% of Jews say it's impossible to be Jewish and believe Jesus was a significant biblical figure.

Quote:
I have no idea from my mothers side, and my father doesn't talk to us so I cannot ask him either.
I think this is the typical response of a Jew when a family member does cross that threshold into Jesus belief of any sort. I wouldn't be surprised if he said Kaddish (the prayer said three times daily in a public forum that identifies oneself as a mourner) for you for an entire year. It must be very tough to live in your skin - being shunned by your father.

Personally, I would be more likely to shun a family member for believing in Jesus than if he had, say, murdered somebody or committed pedophilia (This idea tends to truly anger the folks here in this forum. I submit they just don't understand the gravity of this act to a Jew) . And I doubt I'm in the minority. That's how serious we Jews take what you have done. The fact that a former Jew proudly flaunts his non-Jewish beliefs to other Jews in public, in biblical times, would have gotten you killed. In today's times, you've run off a number of posters from the Judaism forum who simply cannot stomach to hear you say anything, or worse, represent yourself as a Jew.

Again, I hope you do not take these as personal attacks. I'm just trying to give you some straight talk about the facts. If you would prefer I not post these thoughts in public, let me know, and I can delete my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 06:31 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times
Quote:
Yes. My mothers side were Conservative Jewish. The way we believed Jesus was the Messiah was the study of Torah and Christian Bible, as well as reading about early Christians (who were all Jews) and how it started, and why people accepted Christ and some didn't. Very long research and process. I was fascinated how billions of people today believe Jesus is the Messiah, while only 14 millon Jewish people today do not. I studied about the Messianic prophecies, and read the gospels of Christ, his life and death.

I have no idea from my mothers side, and my father doesn't talk to us so I cannot ask him either. Orthodox Judaism is only few centuries old (Hassidic and Haredim sect).
Thank you. That is interesting. I would also say that the remarks about ways of thinking are not intended to be personal attacks. Flipflop needs no help from me in discussing Jewish Torah matters, but my input on why I think this idea that the gospel Jesus as messiah is proven by fulfilled prophecy is mistaken may be helpful. I have probably studied the NT more than he has.

You are quite entitled to your beliefs of course, but as I have said before, anyone coming here and setting claims out can expect them to be discussed.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:18 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,899,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Personally, I would be more likely to shun a family member for believing in Jesus than if he had, say, murdered somebody or committed pedophilia
WOW!!

Being an Atheist, I had no idea that some people take religion so seriously.

I can understand how some people are very happy to follow a religion that has been around for a long time. I mean, a bad religion would not have survived that long.

On the other hand, other people seem to have a desire to break free from what they were taught and embrace a new religion like Scientology.

I can respect both types as long as they do not teach or condone immoral actions.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:20 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,882,821 times
Quote:
Very interesting. You're a very rare bird indeed, as Jews normally find the study of Jesus and Chrstianity about as appealing as cannibalism (I truly don't mean that as an insult - just an observation), and yet you somehow crossed the forbidden barrier and went to the other side. I know you do not agree, but I know you are indeed aware that 99% of Jews say it's impossible to be Jewish and believe Jesus was a significant biblical figure.
Why would any Jew oppose the gospels of Christ? Have you read any of those? What part of Jesus quotes do you hate? Did you know that Jesus preached from the Torah?

Why this hate of Jesus and Christianity? Did you know that Christianity brought people into God, created great world religion, created the modern calendar, hospitals, many science, education, etc.? Without Christianity you may have had people believed in Peganism, and not in one God. You may not agree with Christian beliefs, but be thankful and respectful. Yes, Christians have at some point persecuted the Jews, but so did Jews to early Christians.

What's your thought about the Sermon on the mount? I really hope you read it. Jesus taught love, peace and forgiveness. So you must hate that then?

Quote:
I think this is the typical response of a Jew when a family member does cross that threshold into Jesus belief of any sort. I wouldn't be surprised if he said Kaddish (the prayer said three times daily in a public forum that identifies oneself as a mourner) for you for an entire year. It must be very tough to live in your skin - being shunned by your father.
I do not care about my father, and I dislike people who don't respect other peoples beliefs. He will not enter kingdom of God because he refused to accept the Messiah. He is no longer considered among "God's Chosen people". Non-Messianic Jews are no longer God's chosen people because they refused to believe and accept Jesus Christ, and now the gentials who did accept Him will go to heaven.

Quote:
Personally, I would be more likely to shun a family member for believing in Jesus than if he had, say, murdered somebody or committed pedophilia (This idea tends to truly anger the folks here in this forum. I submit they just don't understand the gravity of this act to a Jew) . And I doubt I'm in the minority. That's how serious we Jews take what you have done. The fact that a former Jew proudly flaunts his non-Jewish beliefs to other Jews in public, in biblical times, would have gotten you killed. In today's times, you've run off a number of posters from the Judaism forum who simply cannot stomach to hear you say anything, or worse, represent yourself as a Jew.

Again, I hope you do not take these as personal attacks. I'm just trying to give you some straight talk about the facts. If you would prefer I not post these thoughts in public, let me know, and I can delete my post.
People like you makes many others turn away from religion. This thought is no better than Islamic fundamentalist and Sharia Law (You either believe the way I do or I would consider you worse than a murder and pedophile). Wow, just wow.

You know that every other religions think the same way like you do that if you don't believe in their religion you will burn in hell. So how could you proof your beliefs are right and billions of others are wrong?

Thank you for admitting that Jews in Biblical time were as violent and worse than the taliban today for not believing the same as they do. Us Jews laugh at fundamentalist Muslims, but our own people are not better than them. Shame!

Old 08-07-2013, 10:11 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,370,645 times
People who believe in other religions will not necessarily go to hell (funny you would say that, as hell is a purely Chrstian concept). Non Jews are free to practice religion any way they want. It's entirely not my business. It's only when a Jew desecrates Hashem's name by professing idol worship that Jews have a problem.

Look, I know you are a real person with real feelings. Thats why I have such tremendous pity that your parents educated you in a way that allowed you to turn into what you have turned into. And sadly you have not only been shunned by your father but also by your people.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
People who believe in other religions will not necessarily go to hell (funny you would say that, as hell is a purely Chrstian concept). Non Jews are free to practice religion any way they want. It's entirely not my business. It's only when a Jew desecrates Hashem's name by professing idol worship that Jews have a problem.

Look, I know you are a real person with real feelings. Thats why I have such tremendous pity that your parents educated you in a way that allowed you to turn into what you have turned into. And sadly you have not only been shunned by your father but also by your people.
Why do you ignore my other questions I asked you regards your thought about the Sermon on the mount, the quotes of Jesus, what Christianity have founded and brought, etc. besides the "Messiah" and "mangod" beliefs?

Jews like you telling me how awful I am, how I left Ha Shem for believe in Jesus, Idol worship, etc. is same as going to hell and not enter kingdom of God. So what will happened with me according to your beliefs?

There is no need to feel sad for me, because I am the one who did not disobey God and the Messiah he sent us to Earth. You are no longer God's chosen people since you have refused to believe in Jesus Christ and persecuted a wonderful and peaceful man. Indeed, I feel sorry and bad for people like you. Jesus himself sacrificed his life and died for our sins.

"Look I know you have real feelings" - You should have thought about it from the beginning, and even on this post you keep telling me how awful I am for believing in Christ.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:38 PM

Jews reclaim Jesus as one of their own – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Even some Jews claim Jesus as their own. Not everybody thinks like theflipflop.

"And Benyamin Cohen, an Orthodox Jew who spent a recent year going to church, admitted that he's jealous that Christians have Jesus.

"He's a tangible icon that everybody can latch on to. Judaism doesn't have a superhero like that," said Cohen, the author of the 2009 book "My Jesus Year."

"I'm not advocating for Moses dolls," he said, but he argued that "it's hard to believe in a God you can't see. I'm jealous of Christians in that regard, that they have this physical manifestation of the divine that they can pray to.

"There could be more devout Jews than me who don't need that, but to a young Jew living in the 21st century, I wish we had something more tangible," he said.
"

Old 08-08-2013, 12:15 AM

That's as daft as the Christians being jealous of Toy manufacturers having an icon like Santa to appeal to the kids.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That's as daft as the Christians being jealous of Toy manufacturers having an icon like Santa to appeal to the kids.
Santa was St. Nicolaus, a bishop who gave gifts to children. So what? Jewish people have Menorah and Chanukah because of our jealously of Christmas.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Santa was St. Nicolaus, a bishop who gave gifts to children. So what? Jewish people have Menorah and Chanukah because of our jealously of Christmas.
Christ was Joshua bar Joseph, a pharisee Jew who had a failed attempt to become the messiah. Same thing. It is no more significant that an Orthodox Jew feels that Christianity has a selling -point in Christ than one Christian spokesman might wish that Christ was as appealing as Santa.

My analogy is perfectly sound. Unlike your comparison of Christmas with Chanukah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality