Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 02:47 AM

613 posts, read 1,271,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
So then if it's man's interpretation, how then can Christians so emphatically declare who's doomed to hell?
they find closer in their interpretation and fail to realize that it is nothing more then an interpretation of the word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 02:57 AM

116 posts, read 282,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
also its apparent to me that there are many similarities in all religions..to the point that it seems to have come from the same source...
Yes, mostly from Sumeria, Babylon, Egypt and Mesopotamia....and all originated thousands of years before Christianity. The stories are the same, only the names have changed!

Old 11-11-2007, 08:21 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,013,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
So then if it's man's interpretation, how then can Christians so emphatically declare who's doomed to hell?
I am actually going to refrain from too much of a response on that one.

Let's just say it is dangerous and unwise for anyone to judge who will or will not go to Heaven and who will and will not go to hell. We are not the judge, God is. When it all comes right down to it, even us Christians might be surprised to find who did and did NOT make it to Heaven/hell.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:58 AM

7,999 posts, read 12,284,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheguevara View Post

Which one of the seventy-five or so versions of the bible, which differ from one another, is the "inerrant, infallible, inspired word of god"?
I have never understood this issue.

Is one not supposed to extract meaning from the content?

Just how drastically can one content vary?

Old 11-11-2007, 12:08 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,563,612 times
Most drastically, when it is man who has decided what books and stories to include, and even more tellingly, exclude from the bible. Word of god? No, just man trying to gain power over his fellows. Just my opinion.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:03 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,795,029 times
Quote:
Theists claim that the bible is "The inerrant, infallible and inspired word of God".

Question for debate:

Which one of the seventy-five or so versions of the bible, which differ from one another, is the "inerrant, infallible, inspired word of god"? How do they identify the correct version?
I claim the Bible is the inerrant, infallible, inspired Word of God in it's original manuscripts. I concede there could be extremely minor translation or transcription errors (<2%). However, those errors in no way impact the foundational tenants or any doctrinal truths provided by the Bible.

The main differences between the different versions of the Bible are in readability or use of modern english. They may use different words, but the subject is the same. Example Romans 1:18-20 --

(NIV) "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."

(KJV) "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:"

(NASB) "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse."

See. the meaning and the message are the same, just different words to convey that message are utilized.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
I claim the Bible is the inerrant, infallible, inspired Word of God in it's original manuscripts. I concede there could be extremely minor translation or transcription errors (<2%). However, those errors in no way impact the foundational tenants or any doctrinal truths provided by the Bible.

The main differences between the different versions of the Bible are in readability or use of modern english. They may use different words, but the subject is the same. Example Romans 1:18-20 --

(NIV) "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."

(KJV) "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:"

(NASB) "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse."

See. the meaning and the message are the same, just different words to convey that message are utilized.
If there was very little difference in the message there wouldn't be so many different denominations of Christianity would there?

See here:
About.com: http://netministries.org/denomlst.htm

Old 11-11-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
If there was very little difference in the message there wouldn't be so many different denominations of Christianity would there?

See here:
About.com: http://netministries.org/denomlst.htm
That's still a matter of man's interpretation and branching out with those varying interpretations.
I believe whether Mormon, Catholic, JW, Baptist or otherwise, we're all part of Christ's family...as long as the relationship with Christ is there, the basics are covered.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
That's still a matter of man's interpretation and branching out with those varying interpretations.
....but my argument is that if the message is the same then shouldn't be any "varying interpretation". It's because all these bible versions are so different that they are interpreted in so many different ways.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
....but my argument is that if the message is the same then shouldn't be any "varying interpretation". It's because all these bible versions are so different that they are interpreted in so many different ways.

While I think that man has really twisted a lot of the scriptures to suit his own self, I do believe there can possibly be more than one accurate interpretation as well. God speaks to different people in different ways. What might work for one, won't necessarily work for another. Sometimes I think God speaks specifically to someone in scripture in order to draw them to Him. However, that doesn't change the whole concept of the message, nor does it make it any less valid.

While I do think it's possible for God to speak differently to different people, via scripture...that is on a personal level. I don't think it's proper for so many "leaders" to draw so many interpretations and try to falsely push them off as being "true".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality