Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:11 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,121 times

Advertisements

I live in the South and have been in this situation many times. For a long time I worked at a non-profit, and everyone assumed everyone was progressive and geared their conversation accordingly. They didn't want to hear anything different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 11:17 AM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
anyways, how would you have reacted, and have you ever been in a similar situation?
Sounds to me like you handled it extraordinarily well. I don't know that I would have been as calm and rational as it sounds like you were.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:57 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Gosh, I think you did the best you could under those circumstances. I usually avoid all political, religious or parenting discussions in public, at parties or school functions. I just smile and move on to another topic or group of people. I realize people have their own beliefs and I'm not looking for change myself, either are they I imagine.

I've had them assume I'm anything but atheists actually, whenever I set the record straight they don't bring it up anymore. But, I did get harassed at a job once by a group of religious co workers and finally quit. So, I usually just smile now, and have to go to the bathroom. lol

On occasion I'll run into a tolerant person and I thoroughly enjoy talking freely with them.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The shock of finding a real, live atheist sends most Christians into convert-mode. If you're a happy atheist it's even worse. A lot of Christians can't deal with a happy atheist. I'm on the live-and-let-live team but I've observed people who go nuts finding out there's a heathen within their midst.
Yep, see perfect example. Ive never had an issue with you despite our differences. You seem well balanced, and very tolerant of that which you dont see eye to eye on.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:16 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
what do you do when people assume their beliefs are the same as yours

how stupid people that aren't Christians are,

anyways, how would you have reacted, and have you ever been in a similar situation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Except here. All the Christians (and some of the Atheists) seemed to think I was an Atheist because I clashed with Fundamentalists.
Interesting. Especially the bolded part, above...

Real life encounters with those whose beliefs aren't in accord with one's own, yet their responses are different than on here....Can't help but make June ponder this, and the fact that she highly suspected that this is, in fact, the case in real life.

Makes one wonder why it's not the same here, in responding to other member's posts that clash with one's own beliefs. --Yet in real life, responses to the other person whose beliefs clash with one's own are so vastly different. No rudeness? No sarcasm or attacking? --And to think that sociologists have concluded that places like this are actually microcosms of real life. One can't help but wonder about this aspect.

An interesting dynamic, the anonymity that the internet holds. Yes, an interesting dynamic indeed! A moderator can't help but ponder such a vast difference in reactions and responses.

Take gentle care...

Last edited by june 7th; 08-25-2013 at 08:27 PM..

Old 08-25-2013, 08:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
You seem well balanced
I can assure you there are people who would disagree with that statement.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:07 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,893 times
I actually find that I hate fundamentalist Christians, Muslims, and the more militant atheists about evenly. Well, I'd be okay with any one of them if they kept themselves to themselves (and individually they often do). But the more someone tries to convince me that their way is the right way, the more angry and defensive I get. I guess assuming my beliefs are different is almost as bad.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:57 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,516 times
I would have just let it go. A BBQ is not the place to be debating things like religion. Just nod your head and enjoy the food.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
I would have just let it go. A BBQ is not the place to be debating things like religion. Just nod your head and enjoy the food.
Wise.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:50 AM

118 posts, read 111,264 times
I think a big part of the issue today is that most do not know why they believe what they believe. Technology has made information available in a rapid manner... and unfortunately not all information is valid. Whether theist, atheist, agnostic, etc. people read a few paragraphs and then parade around as experts on the matter.

Really it depends on your audience. If they are dogmatic, narrowminded and proud people like you describe, I would not bother. On the other hand, if they seek honest and open discussion, you are more apt to get some good dialogue going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality