Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:04 AM

91 posts, read 210,127 times

Advertisements

At the end of the last school term my 13 year old daughter's class were taken as a group to see this film in the cinema as a treat for 100% attendance and excellent work at school. No parents were informed beforehand of what film they were going to see. I wonder what would have happened if anyone had objected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 12:31 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowthewhisp View Post
At the end of the last school term my 13 year old daughter's class were taken as a group to see this film in the cinema as a treat for 100% attendance and excellent work at school. No parents were informed beforehand of what film they were going to see. I wonder what would have happened if anyone had objected?
My guess is the child of the parent who complained wouldn't have gone on the trip. It happens all the time. I went to school with kids who weren't allowed to see anything but Disney movies. The whole school didn't change plans for all the other children just for them.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:57 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times
In our children's school before any movie is shown we are sent a permission slip so that we can decide if they can attend. The children who can't are sent to another class for the duration of the movie.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:11 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowthewhisp View Post
I find it interesting that the school didn't inform the parents, maybe the child just didn't bother telling the parent because they knew the response.

So, is the child now going to hell, has their life been destroyed for seeing a movie? What happens if the child's mind is open and they start to question things? (Although I didn't get any of that from the movie, it wasn't anything to fear).

Would the parent have felt that way if it were the Narnia Chronicles? Has the parent read the books or seen the movie or is the parent just looking for trouble where there is none? Is the parent trying to get the school board to punish the teacher for providing a treat? That would probably be the xian way to go about it.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:31 PM

91 posts, read 210,127 times
My daughter just wasn't particularly impressed. Because of all the hoohah she'd been expecting something incredibly controversial. But then again we've seen all the Harry Potter films together and read the books, can't wait for the next film to come out, and yet some people have thrown their hands up in horror at leading children astray with tales of witchcraft and wizardry.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:25 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
I know. It's insane. The movie would have been a nice, simple movie if not for the hurrah around it.

The only reason I saw it was because xians were so fearful. I hope they make lots of money, if for that reason alone.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:40 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope101 View Post
If no child should be taught that any beliefs are evil or wrong, than wouldn’t teaching that atheist beliefs are evil and wrong be doing the same thing? Isn’t that promoting bias and prejudice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Bravo. I wish people would trust and respect their Children enough to make their own minds up and think for themselves. Give them as wide a knowledge as you can and the rest is up to them.
Kids are intensely curious by Nature and they will find out what their parents don't want them to anyway.

Sorry I haven't been here for a while but yes teaching that atheists are evil and wrong wouldn't be good in my opinion either, that's why I don't teach my children that. I teach them that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and that right is to be respected.

But a book (from which the movie comes and the movie is a gateway to the book series for young readers) that advocates the killing of God as the enemy is attacking my beliefs directly, and this I do not feel is appropriate to introduce to my young children. Just as I would imagine a book that shows God striking down all atheists wouldn't be something an atheist would share with their young children, unless of course they would like their children confused at upset.

Last edited by irishmom; 01-11-2008 at 04:14 PM..

Old 01-11-2008, 08:35 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Sorry I haven't been here for a while but yes teaching that atheists are evil and wrong wouldn't be good in my opinion either, that's why I don't teach my children that. I teach them that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and that right is to be respected.

But a book (from which the movie comes and the movie is a gateway to the book series for young readers) that advocates the killing of God as the enemy is attacking my beliefs directly, and this I do not feel is appropriate to introduce to my young children. Just as I would imagine a book that shows God striking down all atheists wouldn't be something an atheist would share with their young children, unless of course they would like their children confused at upset.
Great post, Irishmom. You've gotta get out....er.....stay in more!

Old 01-17-2008, 04:21 PM

11 posts, read 22,263 times
Default Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post
wow as a christian my self I find this the perfect way to turn off people from christ The good old hell preach.

Not that the I do not believe in hell but have we word things is very important.
i do agree tht i messed up. i was not tht mad and am sry about it. i did not meen to sound mean Sorry.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:29 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post

I understand what you are saying but I'm afraid I respectfully disagree.

If I had kids I would take them to Christian "slanted" movies even if it showed them smiting Atheists ( as long as it was not violently graphic) and would take it as a perfect opportunity to explain what I believe and that millions do believe something completely different.

I would see it as a chance to explain that my beliefs are my own and that everyone is entitled to theirs. Including my child.

My father who was an atheist took me to churches services ( different nominations), I went to Catholic schools and was given books and taken on lectures about world religions from an early age. I remember going to Hindu and Shinto temples and to the public areas of Mosques.

He never tried to shield me even from things he found uncomfortable or ridiculous.

I felt in that sense he respected me enough to make my own mind up.
I became an atheist because of ME not him.

Why not explain to kids that some atheists ( not all of them ) are extreme in their thinking and would like god to be a thing of the past. Explain that philosophy and still enjoy the movie.

It's a movie nothing else. Philip Pullman is a strong opponent of organised religion and yes his books are clearly anti-established religion ( the movie in a typically cowardly Hollywood fashion has watered it down so much you can barely see any of his philosophy left anyway). So what ?

Don't kids deserve the chance to think for themselves with a bit of unbiased guidance from their parents ?
I think we owe them that.

Parents may shield their kids momentarily but I can't help feeling it is ultimately futile. Kids are curious, they will seek out the truth , and might be even more confused as to why their parents were so bothered when they find out.

Kids are not going to turn into Philip Pullman ( a lovely man by the way) because of the Golden Compass.
Books and now a movie about love, and friendship, loyalty and resilience. About good winning over evil , about the triumph of the human spirit and the beauty of strength of a little girl who refuses to give in to evil.
How bad a message is that ?

I just do not get it . It seems to me the best potential message one could give a child . Be good, be strong and be loyal. Love your friends and fight for a just cause. Stand up for vulnerable people's rights and don't be afraid to raise your head above the parapet. Never give up. Be resilient and never ever give up.
Does that sound like a negative message to anyone ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality