Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 03:47 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,974 times

Advertisements

Most atheists are people that were traumatized or repulsed as children by dysfunctional versions of religion. Hence, I would not be surprised if many have indeed read the Bible sometime in their lives. I have not met many atheists that had a healthy upbringing as a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 03:48 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Yes, I've also read it completely and it's probably what started my evitable path towards atheism.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Most atheists are people that were traumatized or repulsed as children by dysfunctional versions of religion. Hence, I would not be surprised if many have indeed read the Bible sometime in their lives. I have not met many atheists that had a healthy upbringing as a child.
I am one of those.
You'll have to take my word for it, but I had a very healthy, pleasant, Christian upbringing. My parents have been married for almost 40 years and they raised me in a loving home.
In fact, I will counter that I have not met many people at all who have had as healthy an upbringing as myself.
I still can't believe what I don't believe, though.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:06 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,974 times
God has given humans 70, 80,90 sometimes 100 years of life on this Earth. If not one of those days, the atheist has been touched by God's power in anyway,I am afraid that the atheist has missed on the single most important and maybe the most relevant aspect of existance, which is believing and worshipping your Creator. Besides spirituality and faith, everything you see around you will perish eventually You can try to hold on to your BMW, your mansion, eventually you will die, it will all be gone and you have no control over it. To me, this is the only true test of this existance. If the atheist failed the test, I do not expect the atheist to be rewarded in the Afterlife. Praise be to God, the almighty!

Last edited by Alpha8207; 11-19-2007 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: edited out deleted quote

Old 11-19-2007, 04:13 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
Quote:
If the atheist failed the test, I do not expect the atheist to be rewarded in the Afterlife. Praise be to God, the almighty!
Good thing that's not your call, now, is it? So much for Christian modesty.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:20 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
God has given humans 70, 80,90 sometimes 100 years of life on this Earth. If not one of those days, the atheist has been touched by God's power in anyway,I am afraid that the atheist has missed on the single most important and maybe the most relevant aspect of existance, which is believing and worshipping your Creator. Besides spirituality and faith, everything you see around you will perish eventually You can try to hold on to your BMW, your mansion, eventually you will die, it will all be gone and you have no control over it. To me, this is the only true test of this existance. If the atheist failed the test, I do not expect the atheist to be rewarded in the Afterlife. Praise be to God, the almighty!
What if it's one of the Mayan Gods doing this lukeache? Wouldn't it just suck to find out that Chaac's been demanding a human sacrifice for well over a few hundred years and you haven't given it to him?

No, if there is a God, it's ridiculous to even think he requires worship. I don't and wouldn't worship anything greater than me. To do so, is to recognize the selfishness of the worshipee and the denigration of myself. If there is a God that exists that does require worship, than I want no part of him to begin with. Yes, to answer the OP I have read the Bible.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:26 PM

613 posts, read 1,270,531 times
Moderator cut: personal remarks to the op
its hard to believe most atheists have read the bible in its entirety...because as i remember from my church most christians haven't even read the complete bible:|...because it is a rather large boring book lol...i have read the bible...the qur'an...and a multitude of other sacred writings....because such matters interest me...though i wouldn't expect someone who has no interest in religion to read any of them...though they could have...and maybe the bible is regarded by some as a good story book

Last edited by Alpha8207; 11-19-2007 at 04:49 PM..

Old 11-19-2007, 04:27 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
to the op
its hard to believe most atheists have read the bible in its entirety...because as i remember from my church most christians haven't even read the complete bible:|...because it is a rather large boring book lol...i have read the bible...the qur'an...and a multitude of other sacred writings....because such matters interest me...though i wouldn't expect someone who has no interest in religion to read any of them...though they could have...and maybe the bible is regarded by some as a good story book
Maybe the reason there's so many Christians is because they haven't read the bible in it's entirety

Last edited by Alpha8207; 11-19-2007 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: edited out deleted portion of quote

Old 11-19-2007, 04:34 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,646,498 times
i was surprised that the bible (im speaking old test) was actually a bit exciting (from what i remember) with war and even sex!
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
to the op

Last edited by Alpha8207; 11-19-2007 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: edited out deleted portion of quoted post

Old 11-19-2007, 04:42 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I was raised Jewish, am now agnostic, and have read cover to cover the Tanakh (aka the Old Testament), the Talmud, the New Testament, and the Qu'ran each several times. I've also read the Book of Mormon, the Veda, the Tao-te-ching, the Catechism, and the Avesta.

Besides being harrassed by Christians as a child (having a cross burned on my lawn, being asked where my horns were, being told I was going to hell), I had a very good and happy childhood where my parents actively took me to as many different houses of worship as possible. Nothing like really researching religion to make you an atheist. Christians are almost atheist anyway, I just believe in one less God than they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality