Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:44 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,724 times

Advertisements

I like the "ask a ****" series of threads quite a bit, and decided to throw in my two cents. I'm starting this thread in hopes that others will start threads for their particular denominations or religions. I'd love to see "Ask a Hindu", "Ask a Buddhist", "Ask a Mormon", "Ask a Baptist", etc...

So, here's the deal. The Lutheran Church has been around since the 16th century. It straddles the line between Roman Catholic and Protestant, carrying with it much from the RCC, but differing in certain distinct ways. In the United States today, there are over 10 Lutheran synods, ranging from very conservative to very liberal. In my answers, I will answer from a moderate viewpoint, but will try to include mention of the beliefs from either end of the spectrum.

So, ask away!!

this thread is brought to you by BEER, the official beverage of the 2009 Lutheran Olympics

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 10:50 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times
Is it the Missouri Synod that is considered the most conservative theologically?

Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 PM

Good question. The most conservative synods are probably the ELS (Evangelical Lutheran Synod) and WELS (Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod). The Missouri Synod these days is probably on the conservative end of the middle, if that makes any sense.

By "Conservative", I mean a combination of things. First, it means a very direct, conservative reading of the Lutheran Confessions, very direct conservative reading of the Bible (though not necessarily literal), and strict observances of the sacraments (closed communion, for example).

Other areas of conservatism that can be unrelated to those previously mentioned are liturgical conservatism (High Church practice with historic liturgy) and ecclesial conservatism (apostolic succession).

Last edited by TravisW; 08-16-2007 at 12:40 PM..

Old 08-16-2007, 01:31 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,818 times
What is the main difference between Lutheran and say Methodist.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:39 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
Good question. The most conservative synods are probably the ELS (Evangelical Lutheran Synod) and WELS (Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod). The Missouri Synod these days is probably on the conservative end of the middle, if that makes any sense.

By "Conservative", I mean a combination of things. First, it means a very direct, conservative reading of the Lutheran Confessions, very direct conservative reading of the Bible (though not necessarily literal), and strict observances of the sacraments (closed communion, for example).

Other areas of conservatism that can be unrelated to those previously mentioned are liturgical conservatism (High Church practice with historic liturgy) and ecclesial conservatism (apostolic succession).
Thanks for the info, Travis.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:52 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I'll 2nd this question, and pose another.

Where do Lutherans stand on hell? Literal interpretation, or figerative? Real or metaphorical?

Old 08-16-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I'm kind of shooting in the dark on this one, because I'm not entirely familiar with all Methodist doctrine. In fact, I don't believe that Methodism has entirely standardized doctrine. Lutheran churches base themselves on the Lutheran Confessions (at least to varying degrees). I think Methodists believe in Baptismal regeneration and Real Presence in the Eucharist, at least in similar manners to Lutherans. Lutherans don't believe that a person has free will to decide to believe in Jesus Christ, but only to resist. I think Methodists subscribe to an Arminian point of view.

Methodists, feel free to prove me wrong on these.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:06 PM

443 posts, read 1,541,822 times
What the hell is up with lutefisk? That is some nasty, nasty stuff.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:24 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,818 times
well this is from Wikipedia.. easier to copy and paste then to type it in..

concerning methodism

Beliefs
Traditionally, Methodism has believed in the Arminian view of free will, via God's prevenient grace, as opposed to absolute predestination. This distinguishes it, historically, from Calvinist traditions such as Presbyterianism. However, in strongly Reformed areas such as Wales, Calvinistic Methodists remain, also called the Presbyterian Church of Wales. Also, more recent theological debates have cut across denominational lines, so that theologically liberal Methodist and Reformed churches have more in common with each other than with more conservative members of their own denominations.

John Wesley was not a systematic theologian, though Methodist ministerial students and trainee local preachers do study his sermons for his theology. The popular expression of Methodist theology is in the hymns of Charles Wesley. Since enthusiastic congregational singing was a part of the Evangelical movement, Wesleyan theology took root and spread through this channel.

Methodism affirms the traditional Christian belief in the Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, as well as the orthodox understanding of the con-substantial humanity and divinity of Jesus. Most Methodists also affirm the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed. In devotional terms, these confessions are said to embrace the biblical witness to God's activity in creation, encompass God's gracious self-involvement in the dramas of history, and anticipate the consummation of God's reign.

Sacramental Theology within Methodism tends to follow the historical interpretations and liturgies of Anglicanism. This stems from the origin of much Methodist theology and practice within the teachings of John and Charles Wesley, both of whom were priests of the Church of England. As affirmed by the Articles of Religion, Methodists recognize two Sacraments as being ordained of Christ: Baptism and Holy Communion. Methodism also affirms that there are many other Means of Grace which often function in a sacramental manner, but most Methodists do not recognize them as being Dominical Sacraments.

Methodists, stemming from John Wesley's own practices of theological reflection, make use of Tradition as a source of authority. Though not on the same level as Holy Scripture, tradition is a lens through which Scripture is interpreted. Theological discourse for Methodists almost always makes use of Scripture read inside the great Tradition of Christendom.

It is a traditional position of the church that any disciplined theological work calls for the careful use of reason. By reason, it is said, one reads and interprets Scripture. By reason one determines whether one's Christian witness is clear. By reason one asks questions of faith and seeks to understand God's action and will.

This church insists that personal salvation always involves Christian mission and service to the world. Scriptural holiness entails more than personal piety; love of God is always linked with love of neighbour, a passion for justice and renewal in the life of the world.

In liturgical matters, whereas most Methodist worship is modelled after the Book of Common Prayer, a unique feature of the American Methodist Church is its observance of the season of Kingdomtide, which encompasses the last 13 weeks before Advent, thus dividing the long season after Pentecost into two discrete segments. During Kingdomtide, Methodist liturgy emphasizes charitable work and alleviating the suffering of the poor.

A second distinctive liturgical feature of Methodism is the use of Covenant services. Although practice varies between different national churches, most Methodist churches annually follow the call of John Wesley for a renewal of their covenant with God. It is not unusual in Methodism for each congregation to normally hold an annual Covenant Service on the first convenient Sunday of the year, and Wesley's Covenant Prayer is still used, with minor modification, in the order of service. In it, Wesley avers man's total reliance upon God, as the following excerpt demonstrates:

Old 08-16-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I'll 2nd this question, and pose another.

Where do Lutherans stand on hell? Literal interpretation, or figerative? Real or metaphorical?
The traditional Lutheran view of hell is that of a place for the condemned. Since Scripture speaks very little about the actual nature of Hell, Lutheran churches have typically not gone off in overly defining it, aside from saying that it exists--whether it be a state of being or a literal place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality