Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:42 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Been there, done that, didnt get the 'T' shirt. I 'invited Him in' for so many years and He never responded, ever. The problem with Christians is, you dont have a plan B. If plan A doesnt work, it MUST be my fault. I recently saw a sign on a church which said' 'Try Prayer.' What if you have tried prayer and it didnt work? Then what?

I refuse after all these years to be sent on another guilt trip and blame myself for Gods lack of contact. I have come to the conclusion that if there is a God, He has his little select band of favourites (who mainly live in the the Western world) and no one else can get into His club, no matter how hard they try.
Yep.

The majority of atheists were believers of some sort at one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 10:33 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
I think the point cg81 was trying to make is that you can't say that God does not exist only because you have not physical/scientific proof.

Just a few centuries ago if you had said that bacteria, microorganisms, let alone DNA existed, everybody would have called you crazy because there was not empirical evidence of their existence. Does it mean that such things did not exist at the time?
yeah, I understood that. But we also can't say that god does exist because we cannot prove otherwise.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:37 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
That's because we are using our "eyes", not our "ears"...because we think that is the only way to observe. We are trying to "hear" God with our "eyes"! (With our fingers firmly planted in our ears) And then we say "Hmmm... I can't hear anything."
care to explain a little more of this hearing thing to me? I assume you don't mean literal seeing vs literal hearing as we make our judgments on more than what we see. even blind people can be atheists.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
That's how I came up with the idea of a collective hallucination. Delusion was a given

Old 02-15-2008, 01:50 AM

18 posts, read 34,227 times
i think the fact that man created religion is proof enough that there is a higher power. Every society on the face of the earth has some sort of religious practices.
and i personally think that trying to use science to prove the existence of a higher power in an insult to science, and faith. (paraphrasing a quote from an authors who name i can no longer remember)
the definition of science
science |ˈsīəns|
noun
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment
faith
faith |fāθ|
noun
1 complete trust or confidence in someone or something
2 strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
Science requires PROOF, hard facts and concrete evidence, a hypothesis or theory that is tested and retested, and works every single time you repeat the experiment.
Faith requires that you put aside your need for PROOF, and just believe. You don't need hard facts and concrete evidence, only the knowledge that you believe and know that what you believe is true

Old 02-15-2008, 02:03 AM

I believe in pink bunnies that are 10 feet tall and talk with me. What's the difference between my delusion and yours?

Old 02-15-2008, 02:14 AM

18 posts, read 34,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I believe in pink bunnies that are 10 feet tall and talk with me. What's the difference between my delusion and yours?
if you think its a delusion, then you are acknowledging the fact that you don't believe in it. Because a delusion is a belief that is held DESPITE evidence to the contrary.
by calling it a delusion, you are acknowledging the fact that it has been proved non existent.
So, the difference is quite simple. you know that you are delusional, because you just said you are
I have beliefs

Old 02-15-2008, 02:48 AM

But that doesn't mean that they are real.

You're right, someone in a delusional state doesn't realize that they are delusional.
Show me any evidence of a god. Feel free to do so, any time.
Or is belief all there is. What's the difference between that and delusion?

Delusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although non-specific concepts of madness have been around for several thousand years, the psychiatrist and philosopher Karl Jaspers was the first to define the three main criteria for a belief to be considered delusional in his book General Psychopathology. These criteria are:

* certainty (held with absolute conviction)
* incorrigibility (not changeable by compelling counterargument or proof to the contrary)
* impossibility or falsity of content (implausible, bizarre or patently untrue)

Old 02-15-2008, 04:24 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Default One...more...time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Delusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although non-specific concepts of madness have been around for several thousand years, the psychiatrist and philosopher Karl Jaspers was the first to define the three main criteria for a belief to be considered delusional in his book General Psychopathology. These criteria are:

* certainty (held with absolute conviction)
* incorrigibility (not changeable by compelling counterargument or proof to the contrary)
* impossibility or falsity of content (implausible, bizarre or patently untrue)
For what it's worth:

Chielgirl, the link you posted was actually quite good, albiet, it disproves the point I think you are trying to make. You need to also consider the quote you cited, above, (regarding Jasper's criteria for delusion) within the context of what was stated:

"These criteria still live on in modern psychiatric diagnosis. In the most recent Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, a delusion is defined as:

A false belief based on incorrect inference about external reality that is firmly sustained despite what almost everybody else believes and despite what constitutes incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary. The belief is not one ordinarily accepted by other members of the person's culture or subculture (e.g., it is not an article of religious faith)."

I'm going to try and make this all as painless as humanly possible; hopefully validating both sides of the court: the believers vs. the unbelievers.

There is a difference between neurosis and psychosis.

Is mankind capable of engaging in mass delusion? Yes. Anyone who remembers "War of the Worlds" or Bigfoot, etc., knows what a mass delusionary state is. However, when we are talking about psychiatric delusional states as they pertain to religious content within the delusion, we are implying that the belief is pathologically based; meaning that it stems from some sort of illness. Unless we are prepared to enter into the dicey territory of declaring every single believer on this forum and in the world at large "mentally ill" then I think this whole topic needs to be seen in the context in which it exists.

Culturally engendered beliefs are NOT delusions. They are not delusions because they fail to meet the psychological criteria. -And that includes religion, folks. Just as Jasper's attempted to address the nature of delusional states, on the other side we have equally esteemed psychoanalysts arguing for the nondelusional aspects of religious belief. Freud, Jung, Erikson, Maslow, et al all attempted to define what religious belief is and what role it plays in mankind's psyche.

As I have said before, there is a difference when it comes to truly relgious delusional states, and the beliefs of the "masses." If I have ten psychotic patients in a group, all of whom are experiencing religious delusions, they are not able to enter into on another's delusion. That's important. In contrast, if I have ten nonpsychotic believers in my group, they are able to engage with one another and carry on a meaningful converstation about god. Some of you would call it Bible study, or a prayer group, or just posting on this forum. It does not rise to the level of a psychiatric delusionally based state.

When I was trained, the emphasis was mostly on the bio-psycho-social aspects of patients. That's changed over time, to the point that we now include the spiritual apsects of our patients and human beings in general. Consider Maslow's hierarchy. Self actualization is on the top rung. The same holds true for Erikson. (Although only 2 percent of the population supposedly make it that far.) There are those theorists that would say that for a human being to be fully "mature" that there is necessarily implied some sort of spiritual element/aspect to their personality or nature. Relgious belief is not pathologized in the world of psychiatry/psychology. There is a difference between the patient I see every week who believes that God sent him "religious creatures" in a dream, and as a result, went to church in order to ask God whether He had sent the "creatures" for purposes of good or evil, and the patient who sits in my office telling me that their belief in God is one of the things that helps sustain them. June takes both seriously, with equal amounts of validation and respect.

Read about or google "core religious beliefs" or mystical experiences or Maslow, for that matter. Can those experiences be replicated in a laboratory by stimulating parts of a human's brain? -Yes, they can. However, does that necessarily invalidate the reality of what the individual experiences outside of the laboratory, or (more importantly) the meaning that the individual attributes to the experience? I don't think so. Read what William Jame's cites as the criteria for religious experience. Read about what Jung says about spirituality and the collective conscious/unconscious. Or, (for atheists in particular) read what Freud believes religious belief is really all about. Would you prefer to believe that religous belief has it's basis in delusion, or should we all pay more attention to our Oedipal complexes/strivings? ()

Spirituality, religious belief, etc. is regarded as a human strength within the psychiatric world. Your average individual who gets up each morning and prays is not regarded as delusional. Alot of psychiatrists are getting up each morning and praying. I sure hope they aren't "delusional" in the strict sense of the word...

I know this was a dreadfully long post, but under the circumstances, what's a June to do? In the end, all I can say is it is time for me to go off to work, and to remind everyone:

Take gentle care.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:38 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteran View Post
if you think its a delusion, then you are acknowledging the fact that you don't believe in it. Because a delusion is a belief that is held DESPITE evidence to the contrary.
by calling it a delusion, you are acknowledging the fact that it has been proved non existent.
So, the difference is quite simple. you know that you are delusional, because you just said you are
I have beliefs
Perhaps but are you saying that if you genuinely believe in a Pink Bunny or a Fruit Loop as creator of the universe, it then proves the validity of your belief ?

That the mere fact that one has come up with that concept as a religion then proves the existence of a fruit loop /pink bunny deity ?

Philosophically that is rather interesting. I believe therefore it is ?
After all there is no more proof and evidence against a Pink Bunny/Fruit Loop supernatural creator than there is for anything else surely.

Any belief based on faith is no less valid for being shared by 200 people than by 200 Millions.

Surely it is not about numbers but sincerity ? As physical proof and evidence is never a pre-requisite of Faith ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality