Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:43 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,997 times

Advertisements

It is an unfounded tradition that God cannot be proven , and like any unfounded tradition, an increase in knowledge can break through those traditions. And science can often help trumpet these breakthroughs. One of the simple ways to prove that God exist, is by examining the " Anthropic Principles."

The Anthropic Principles point out that there are over 100 varibles to existence which would have made life impossible if they were different than they are. And I will be examining the science of Anthroprocentrics, Anthropogenics, Anthropography, Anthropolatry, and Anthropology and show how these sciences undoubtly show the laws of existence were not created by themselves and show undeniable intentive design.

Anthropic means relating to human beings and their existence. One could say existence period! Existence depends on numerous cosmological constants and parameters whose numerical values must fall within a very narrow range of values , which science can track and graph. In these graphs we have formulated, the varibles cannot be altered or nothing would exist. And this is only one reason why we have belief in a God; the probability that so many varibles would align so auspiciously in our favor as humans existing merely by chance- is extreme! So it has led some scientist and philosophers to determine that the laws of existence were providentially engineered and that earth was designed to fit our specific needs.

The universe appears to have been " Fine-Tuned" for our existence.

The human body shows incredible design , and its no leap of faith to then assume a designer is certainly possible.

Its no leap of faith to assume that we are the only humans in the universe; we have the capability of space travel, we have found nothing. If other humans existed they have not found us. Its no leap of faith to assume if life existed elsewhere in the universe, it is searching for other life. Its simply logical science to assume certain things.

If you walked down the street and found a dime, you can assume it was dropped. If you walked further and found three dimes, you can logically and scientifically assume they were dropped. If you continued walking and found 200 dimes perfectly balanced on their edges and laying in specfic patterns you can scientifically and logically assume that this was done deliberately.

And this " Deliberate pattern is all in the universe; all in animal life; all in human life!" It is logical to assume that a God exist.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:21 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Good post, but, IMO there is no evidence that will convince an atheist that God or gods exist. One has to be open to the idea.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 AM

1,974 posts, read 1,939,153 times
in order to believe in monotheism you have to believe this:

modern anatomically humans have been on the earth since circa 200,000 B.C. according to the bible God appeared to Abraham around 1976-1801 B.C according to many chronologists (for this post lets say 1900 B.C)

FOR 198100 years humans lived and die in terrible conditions. life expectancy was around 30 years. they suffered diseases they cannot explained, infant mortality was high and mothers and infants often die during childbirth, they suffered through snowstorms, tropical cyclones, bush and forest fires which occur naturally, droughts, famines, these they cannot explain. why is there wet and dry seasons, why does the moon go throw phases, what are those small bright objects in the night sky? etc. it was a constant struggle for survival. they often had fight wars against each other, try to image life during the stone age.

around 7000-6000 BC human settled down and start farming, building cities, invent writing and make small progress in science like choosing the right plants for fruits and vegetables and domesticate animals. all this happens while your God sit back and watched. then in 1900 B.C he decide to intervene. why didn't he appeared to the Egyptians, the sumerians, the Harrapns of the indus valley and the Chinese who can already read and write and already know right from wrong and have their own legal codes and busy building civilizations etc.

no he decided to appear to the most barbaric, superstitious , the most uneducated, the most, illiterate , the most savage tribes in the middle east. telling them to take over a piece of land on the Mediterranean coast through rape, genocide, tribalism and destruction. and all divine intervention and revelation took place in that same part of the region.

that is what you have to believe if you a Theist

i cannot believe in the implausible

Old 04-20-2012, 11:32 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
I think its all relative on what one would consider "God". I don't believe in God as being a flesh and blood God like us or even having a form that would even resemble us. I do believe that most athiests have either turned away from or have never believed, in a God that most "holy books" have depicted.

I believe that "God" IS Love and therefore, instead of worshipping a particular "person" that we can relate to, worshipping love would be a better choice all around. God IS Love and Love IS God. It has no form however, It does have It's own personality and individualality, just as we do. We are merely an extension of the Creator no matter what we may think at this momonet in our existance.

If we think in terms of God, flying spaghetti monster or whatever you want to call It, as being Love, then I think most people would be more comfortable and feel less pushed to believe in something that they don't want to believe in. The world can then determine how much, or how little, love they would want to come into their lives. No need for religion nor a belief in something that cannot be seen nor felt. Love, however, can be seen and felt in the soul of the saint as well as the sinner and nonbeliever.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:33 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post

Its no leap of faith to assume that we are the only humans in the universe; we have the capability of space travel, we have found nothing. If other humans existed they have not found us.
I am charmed and amused by the naivete of that statement.

It sounds like a group of tribal elders in the mountains of New Guinea 1,000 years ago making a declaration that they are the only humans in the universe because they have the gift of mobility and sent hunters on journeys of three days in every direction and found no other tribes.

What a delightful declaration you made Mickiel ... it put a smile on my face.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Good post, but, IMO there is no evidence that will convince an atheist that God or gods exist. One has to be open to the idea.

Well I personally do not believe that Atheist are supposed to believe God exist. Not that its impossible; I am a man, I believe that I am not supposed to be a woman; but other men exist that think they do. So the nature of anyone can be changed , both consciously and physically. Yet I hold no intrest in convincing anyone that God exist, I am just not in agreement with those who claim there is no proof; that is just rediculous in my view.

Its hard to explain science to those who are not inclined to it at all. Its just as hard to explain danger to those who sense absolutely none. Its hard to explain German to one who does not speak it. It is hard to explain God to those who can't see it. As you say, one's consciousness must be first open to what will be allowed to enter it.

Some feel water is not created out of thin air, that nature creates it. I can see God as the creator of nature and its evolution, but I see it in scientific terms as well as biblical terms. I take the time for " Extra study." I go beyond faith and blind belief and examine the facts as they are. Gravity is roughly 1039 times weaker than electromagnetism, if it had been lets say 1033 times weaker, stars would be a billion times less massive and would burn a million times faster, effrectively changing all of reality as we know it. So now either nature got lucky, or nature got designed, and Atheist are absolutely free to choose freaky luck as their belief. And Theist are free to believe in deliberate design.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:47 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,329 times
While I dont subscribe to the absurdity that is the "beginning of man" bible story, I do believe somewhat in the intelligent design theory. The idea that God created a man, then created a woman which had a bunch of children who married each other then all those children married their first cousins, then those children married siblings, first cousins and second cousins, and all those incestuous relationships (which are prohibited later in the bible btw) resulted in the world we have now, all only about 6000 years ago is just absurd.

But I do believe that everything did happen for a reason. I believe that since the beginning of humanity, and the species that predate humans, the evolution of all species on our planet has been guided by the hand of the gods to be the most fruitful and useful we can be. I also believe that in the not to distant future the lord (horned god not christian god) will set the balance of man and nature back a little. We are getting too unbalanced.

Last edited by Dave5150; 04-20-2012 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-20-2012, 11:54 AM

180 posts, read 217,214 times
The earth is 71.1% water and only 3% is fresh water. How is that "fined-tuned" for humans, and how is the vastness of space "fined-tuned" for our existence as you so claim.

Yes, its arrogant and a huge leap of faith to say that we are the only existing life. The odds are highly in favor of us not being . Specifically with the discovery that earth-like planets really don't seem to be that uncommon anymore Kepler: Planet Candidates. So no, your statement about it being illogical is very illogical.

The god hypothesis is illogical. Your pseudo-watchmaker argument is null for the existence of god, evolution and choas theory explain the complexity of the universe and life with no need for a designer. There are mountains of evidence vs your assertion that there must be a designer. Therefore it is a huge leap of faith. Evidence and logic are not in favor of your argument.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I am charmed and amused by the naivete of that statement.

It sounds like a group of tribal elders in the mountains of New Guinea 1,000 years ago making a declaration that they are the only humans in the universe because they have the gift of mobility and sent hunters on journeys of three days in every direction and found no other tribes.

What a delightful declaration you made Mickiel ... it put a smile on my face.

Well we have what we have to work with at this time; we can only do what we are able to now do. With all of our technology, which Atheist readily praise, we have found nothing to speak about, no other life. Interestingly, Theist have found other life , and proof of it. Atheist simply do not, like tribal elders, believe in what Theist have found. We have found evidence of another dimension, far different egnigmatic life forms, A powerful being, and fantastic life with incredible intent.

Theist have found extra-terrestrial life; Atheist have declared that we have found nothing, because they do not believe in the conscious mobility of Theist.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:55 AM

1,974 posts, read 1,939,153 times
Quote:
That's not really supported by the Bible. Scientifically speaking, there are all sorts of problems with the dating methods to get this.
because the bible was written by superstition men who know nothing about science

Quote:
Actually, God created Adam and Eve around 7000-6000 BC. The Egyptians, Sumerians, Harrapns, etc descended from families that chose not to worship him--but they were all descendants of Adam and Eve...then Noah and his sons.
the story of Adam and eve and Noah are myths which are copied from earlier myths 2 people cannot create millions though reproduction within a few years. and genetic research disproves your claim ever heard of mitochondrial DNA. why don't you do a haplogroup testing to determine your mtDNA haplogroup

Quote:
No....the Canaanites had been practicing child sacrifice for centuries prior to Israel kicking them out. They certainly deserved it.
The Israelites are descended from the Canaanites there wer no invasions and cities that claimed to be attacked by Israel were either destroyed or abandoned centuries earlier

“The original god of Israel was El.” (Smith, 2002, p. 32)

“The original Israelites were mostly Canaanites ... and the original God of Israel was El, as the name Israel indicates. El was a high god of the Canaanite pantheon; Asherah was his consort.” (Doorly, 1997, p. 28)

Doorly, W. J. (1997). The religion of Israel: a short history. Mahwah: Paulist Press.

Finkelstein, I., & Silberman, N. A. (2002). The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts. New York: Touchstone.

and you advocating genocide is not a surprise only religion make morally sane people become psychopathic

Quote:
If you believe in evolution and abiogenesis, you certainly do, though.
evolution is backed by genetic evidence why do you think other primates share most of their genes with human? abiogenesis has been done in the labs

'Artificial life' breakthrough announced by scientists

BBC News - 'Artificial life' breakthrough announced by scientists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.