Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 07:32 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times

Advertisements

This is the Paramahansa Yogananda thread

Quote:
“There is a magnet in your heart that will attract true friends. That magnet is unselfishness, thinking of others first... when you learn to live for others, they will live for you.”
Quote:
“Let my soul smile through my heart and my heart smile through my eyes, that I may scatter rich smiles in sad hearts.”
Quote:
“Remain calm, serene, always in command of yourself. You will then find out how easy it is to get along.”
Quote:
“Truth is exact correspondence with reality.”
Quote:
“The happiness of one's own heart alone cannot satisfy the soul; one must try to include, as necessary to one's own happiness, the happiness of others.”
Quote:
“The man form is higher than the angel form; of all forms it is the highest. Man is the highest being in creation, because he aspires to freedom.”
Quote:
"Vanished are the veils of light and shade,
Lifted the vapors of sorrow,
Sailed away the dawn of fleeting joy,
Gone the mirage of the senses.
Love, hate, health, disease, life and death –
Departed, these false shadows on the screen
of duality"

- Excerpt from Samadhi
by Paramahansa Yogananda
Biography Paramahansa Yogananda

Paramahansa Yogananda was born in Gorakphur India January 5th 1893. Gorakphur is in the north of India and is associated with the great saint Gorakshanath who lived in the 10th - 12th Century. Yogananda was brought up in a devout loving Hindu family. At an early age Yogananda’s mother passed away and this pushed the young Mukunda (as he then was) into a deep grief. However this experience encouraged Yogananda to seek beyond the world and practise spiritual discipline.
In his famous autobiography of a Yogi he explains how his early life was filled with visiting various the various saints of Bengal and seeking to learn from their spiritual wisdom. One of these early teachers was Master Mahasaya who was a direct disciple of Sri Ramakrishna and wrote the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna. Yogananda’s interest in spiritual studies did not however extend to academic studies and his book explains how he sought to do as little academic work as possible. In fact at one point he left home to go on a pilgrimage to the Himalayas. His family however disapproved of his tendency to “renounce the world” and he was found by his brother and bought back. At the age of 17 years Yoganada met his Spiritual Master Sri Yukteswar. Sri Yukteswar was a disciple of Lahiri Mahasaya who in turn had received initiation from the immortal Babaji in the Himalayas. On becoming a disciple of Sri Yukteswar Yogananda spent most of his time in the ashram of his Master where he practised meditation for many hours on end seeking to attain a glimpse of the cosmic consciousness.
After many years of practise and another aborted trip to the Himalaya’s Yoganada attained his long sought after experience through the grace of his Master Sri Yutkeswar. Yogananda explains his experience of Samadhi
“My body became immovably rooted; breath was drawn out of my lungs as if by some huge magnet. Soul and mind instantly lost their physical bondage, and streamed out like a fluid piercing light from my every pore. The flesh was as though dead, yet in my intense awareness I knew that never before had I been fully alive. My sense of identity was no longer narrowly confined to a body, but embraced the circumambient atoms. People on distant streets seemed to be moving gently over my own remote periphery. The roots of plants and trees appeared through a dim transparency of the soil; I discerned the inward flow of their sap”
In 1917 Yogananda started work as a teacher in a school in Ranchi. The school was a special combination of modern educational methods and the ancient Indian Yoga systems to promote spiritual and physical well being. Mahatma Gandhi visited the school and was moved to say:
“This institution has deeply impressed my mind.” Increasingly Yogananda felt a call to travel to America and with his Guru’s blessings Yogananda left India for America in 1920 as a delegate to an international congress of religious leaders in Boston. In 1924 he returned to America to begin a lecture tour in which he offered the highest spiritual ideals of Vedanta in a format appropiate for modern American audiences. It was also in 1924 that Yogananda founded the Self Realisation Fellowship an organisation dedicated to promoting the ideals of Yogananda and providing an opportunity for seekers to practise his teachings.
Over the next 20 years the teachings of Yogananda prospered and many sincere seekers were attracted to the yoga system and teachings he offered. Therefore Yogananda sought to establish a spiritual community or ashram in Los Angeles. This has now become the headquarters of the Self Realisation Fellowship.

In 1935 Yogananda returned to India for 18 months. Here he embarked on another tour meeting many of India’s great saints of the days. These included Mahatma Gandhi, Ramana Maharshi and Sri Anandamayi Ma. And are recounted in his bestselling book “Autobiography of a Yogi”.
After returning to America Yoganada retreated somewhat from public life seeking to spend more time in meditation and writing spiritual guidance for the future when he was no longer living. On March 7th 1952 Yogananda entered mahasamadhi (which is a Yogi’s conscious decision to leave the body). He left behind a legacy of spiritual poetry and writings and his teaching flourish to this day.

By: Tejvan Pettinger

Guruji, thank you so much for all what you've taught me, you are nothing but prema: divine love

Last edited by Travelling fella; 11-25-2007 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality