Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:30 AM

199 posts, read 591,812 times

Advertisements

I am enjoying watching this video:

Why was Christmas banned in America until 1820? - YouTube

If you believe there are errors of omission or comission, or just want to add a comment, feel free to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 10:39 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
For those of us that don't care to spend 35 minutes watching a video, can you tell us in your own words what it's about?

Old 12-03-2013, 11:03 AM

It's actually a very interesting video! I watched it once right through, but I want to watch it again but this time checking references along the way.

In broad outline, the docu maker claims that christmas is not actually based on biblical text at all, but derives from pagan practices which are antithetical to christian teachings. Modern Christmas rituals are actually derivatives of winter solstice rituals which are of roman and northern european origin.

The ritual practices include human sacrifice, animal sacrifice, and the worshiping of various fertility gods and their symbols, such as the yule (a phallic/fertility symbol). The roman festival of saturnalia involved gluttony, drunkenness and sexual debauchery.

Many of the rituals christians practice during christmas, such as yuletide carols, the yule log, the christmas tree, giving gifts, esp. dolls, harken back to these pagan traditions. The term doll is derived from 'idol,' and may be a symbol of the children who were sacrificed and left as offerings under evergreen trees.

---

Having said that, there are numerous contradictions in the documentary. In particular, human and animal sacrifice is a core principle of christian teachings: witness christ sacrificing himself for our sins, passover, etc. We drink the blood of christ and eat of his flesh, etc.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:52 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Very interesting video. A co-worker, who is Church of Christ, and I were just discussing this topic this morning. Being raised Baptist I was not aware CC did not celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday.

My SIL is also CC and has gotten angry at me in the past for pointing out the Pagan roots to current religious holidays.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:47 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
Well I tried to watch it but when the host says that it's a celebratiorn to honor the god Yule, I stopped. I knew when I saw 'Jeremiah' for the production it is a Christian video Moderator cut: inappropriate language
'Time when pagans practice dark....' Wrong
'God Yule' wrong again. There is no god with the title Yule in any mythology.
Yule is the solstice. The celebrations do have a connection to fertility, but that is not the focus. Fertility celebrations happen in the early part of the year.
Yule is a celebration for the return of the Sun.
I have never come across anything outside of Christian sources that make the claim of blood sacrific for Yule. Or any blood sacrifice for that matter.

Ill finish watching the vid when I'm in a different mood so I can laugh at the BS it perpetuates. I'm certain I will have more to say about it then.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-04-2013 at 06:46 AM..

Old 12-03-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
It's actually a very interesting video! I watched it once right through, but I want to watch it again but this time checking references along the way.

In broad outline, the docu maker claims that christmas is not actually based on biblical text at all, but derives from pagan practices which are antithetical to christian teachings. Modern Christmas rituals are actually derivatives of winter solstice rituals which are of roman and northern european origin.

The ritual practices include human sacrifice, animal sacrifice, and the worshiping of various fertility gods and their symbols, such as the yule (a phallic/fertility symbol). The roman festival of saturnalia involved gluttony, drunkenness and sexual debauchery.

Many of the rituals christians practice during christmas, such as yuletide carols, the yule log, the christmas tree, giving gifts, esp. dolls, harken back to these pagan traditions. The term doll is derived from 'idol,' and may be a symbol of the children who were sacrificed and left as offerings under evergreen trees.

---

Having said that, there are numerous contradictions in the documentary. In particular, human and animal sacrifice is a core principle of christian teachings: witness christ sacrificing himself for our sins, passover, etc. We drink the blood of christ and eat of his flesh, etc.
OK?

I celebrate the incarnation -- God becoming man in the form of a baby. I don't celebrate any of the things you listed above,. I don't get drunk. I don't have wild orgies...I don't do all the pagan things you listed. My celebration of Christmas has nothing whatsoever to do with that.

So what is your point again?

Old 12-03-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
OK?

I celebrate the incarnation -- God becoming man in the form of a baby. I don't celebrate any of the things you listed above,. I don't get drunk. I don't have wild orgies...I don't do all the pagan things you listed. My celebration of Christmas has nothing whatsoever to do with that.

So what is your point again?
LOL, I am quite familiar with your M.O. and baiting tactics. Nonetheless, it was very useful for me to write up a summary for my own benefit.

As far as baby jesus, it is well established that this is simply astro-theology personified. The jesus story is sun worship in disguise.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Well I tried to watch it but when the host says that it's a celebration to honor the god Yule, I stopped. I knew when I saw 'Jeremiah' for the production it is a Christian video and would be full of BS.
'Time when pagans practice dark....' Wrong
'God Yule' wrong again. There is no god with the title Yule in any mythology.
Yule is the solstice. The celebrations do have a connection to fertility, but that is not the focus. Fertility celebrations happen in the early part of the year.
Yule is a celebration for the return of the Sun.
I have never come across anything outside of Christian sources that make the claim of blood sacrific for Yule. Or any blood sacrifice for that matter.

Ill finish watching the vid when I'm in a different mood so I can laugh at the BS it perpetuates. I'm certain I will have more to say about it then.
Care to share your sources then?

Are you saying that human sacrifice is a fiction?

Old 12-03-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
LOL, I am quite familiar with your M.O. and baiting tactics. Nonetheless, it was very useful for me to write up a summary for my own benefit.

As far as baby jesus, it is well established that this is simply astro-theology personified. The jesus story is sun worship in disguise.
Sorry...I don't worship the sun.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Sorry...I don't worship the sun.
Yes, you do, you just don't recognize it. Jesus is a composite figure, based on the metaphor of a sun god, but is also incoporates elements of the historical biographies of julius caesar and titus. Jesus is also plagiarized from the old testament joseph.

Last edited by evesadam; 12-03-2013 at 03:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality