Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 11:04 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Yes to the bolder. Nicely stated Ukrkoz. Happy new year to you.
Conciousness capitalized is different from the same word with the small c. Vedanta calls the first True Self/Atma at the world level and Cosmic Consciousness - Brhman at the cosmic level
English does not have edequate vocabulary to denote these concepts. It require a special vocabulary just as Science does.
Cb2008, do atma and brhman have a base and then a root with a denotation? And do they have relatives? For example, consciousness and science are relatives in the same family. The base is "sci" which denotes "know". This is related to scindere which denotes "cut, divide."

Denote has a meaning to mark off from others. If there is a cosmic consciousness, which sounds like a thing that is everywhere, then perhaps it is something that can be cut and divided, for example, a human from a tree. However, when put back together (so that we can see the forest and not just the trees), then it is not something that can be marked off from others because it is everywhere. Therefore, it is possible there is no word to "denote it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 11:35 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have no reason to be so proud of the neuroscientific evidence you rely on. It is entirely associational and you yourself acknowledge that association does not prove causation.
1) Your usual evasion of providing evidence for your position is noted.

2) Pride has nothing to do with it, the fact it is the only evidence we have is important.

3) It is NOT entirely associational, your misuse of the cüm hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy ignores that the evidence shows there is a correlation.

So once again, where is YOUR evidence for YOUR position?

Old 01-01-2022, 01:08 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Cb2008, do atma and brhman have a base and then a root with a denotation? And do they have relatives? For example, consciousness and science are relatives in the same family. The base is "sci" which denotes "know". This is related to scindere which denotes "cut, divide."

Denote has a meaning to mark off from others. If there is a cosmic consciousness, which sounds like a thing that is everywhere, then perhaps it is something that can be cut and divided, for example, a human from a tree. However, when put back together (so that we can see the forest and not just the trees), then it is not something that can be marked off from others because it is everywhere. Therefore, it is possible there is no word to "denote it."

Interesting information on 'sci', elyn02. I am not sure I can present quite a parallel but I can tell you what I know.

Atma and Brhman do not have a base as you describe. The root for Brhman(a noun) is Brhm which means bigness. Brhman is personification of the idea of bigness.
Atma has no root, I could not find one. Atman is the noun. Atma means self as in Atma-vichara means Self-inquiry. Atma-gnyana - self-knowledge. Atma-hatya - self-killing, suicide.
Brhman is everywhere, it doesn't mean it is everywhere. It has no attributes, it IS existance, it IS consciousness/knowness, it IS fullness, completeness. It is partless, homogeneous.

Old 01-01-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Interesting information on 'sci', elyn02. I am not sure I can present quite a parallel but I can tell you what I know.

Atma and Brhman do not have a base as you describe. The root for Brhman(a noun) is Brhm which means bigness. Brhman is personification of the idea of bigness.
Atma has no root, I could not find one. Atman is the noun. Atma means self as in Atma-vichara means Self-inquiry. Atma-gnyana - self-knowledge. Atma-hatya - self-killing, suicide.
Brhman is everywhere, it doesn't mean it is everywhere. It has no attributes, it IS existance, it IS consciousness/knowness, it IS fullness, completeness. It is partless, homogeneous.
Thank you so much. This post is definitely getting saved for future reference.

One thing I noticed - and I don't really intend for this to become a productive point - is the "gn" in gnyana. I am guessing it is related to "gn" in gnosis.

Old 01-01-2022, 03:52 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Thank you so much. This post is definitely getting saved for future reference.

One thing I noticed - and I don't really intend for this to become a productive point - is the "gn" in gnyana. I am guessing it is related to "gn" in gnosis.

I just looked up gnosis in Greek, and it could very well be, the common gn being very interesting and also the meaning denoting mystical knowledge. Gn is a compound of two letters in Sanskrit that sound like this: ga and nya. This happens a lot. There are compound words that are a sentence long by themselves.
So happy to have these conversations with you elyn! I love the ways you dig things up and your perspective on various matters. Did you say you home school your child? Sorry if it was someone else. If so she is a lucky child.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:23 AM

Quote:
I just looked up gnosis in Greek, and it could very well be, the common gn being very interesting and also the meaning denoting mystical knowledge. Gn is a compound of two letters in Sanskrit that sound like this: ga and nya. This happens a lot. There are compound words that are a sentence long by themselves.
So happy to have these conversations with you elyn! I love the ways you dig things up and your perspective on various matters. Did you say you home school your child? Sorry if it was someone else. If so she is a lucky child.
Thank you for the compliment, Cb2008. I don't homeschool. She attends public school. I am lucky that you are willing to discuss these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality