Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:17 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times

Advertisements

Lol..its good to know Im not the only one that reads anything and everything. My wife doesnt read anything, so she had no idea why I was reading the "ladies home journal" the other day, i had two reasons..It was close and I read everything else in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 10:20 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Lol..its good to know Im not the only one that reads anything and everything. My wife doesnt read anything, so she had no idea why I was reading the "ladies home journal" the other day, i had two reasons..It was close and I read everything else in the house.
My husband also often reads my mags, but I don't read his--PC World and that ilk!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:57 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
These are just the ones I remember

Thirteen Nicholas Sparks books
Seven Danielle Steele books
Two Patricia Cromwell books
Reread all of Jean Auel prehistoric books
A bunch of Debbie Macomber books
The Purpose Driven Life
The God Delusion..for our book thread
I don't have enough faith to be an athiest..for our book thread
Pete Rose
Many more that I can't remember at the moment..I also read cereal boxes, all the signs and billboards on the highway, and the 3year old magazines in the Doctors office

Old 11-29-2007, 05:55 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
A few memorable ones :

America and Americans by John Steinbeck
Russian Journal by John Steinbeck
The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney
Arthur Miller's Autobiography
The Slave Trade by Hugh Thomas
Secrets of the Stone Age by Richard Rudgley
The Oxford History of the Twentieth Century
Civilisation by Kenneth Clark
The Collins History of the World
The Ascent of Man by Jacob Bronowski

and many, many more ...

Old 11-29-2007, 07:52 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,438,345 times
True soul inspiring books.

The second coming of Christs by Paramahansa Yogananda
God talks to arjuna by Paramahansa Yogananda
Autobiography of a yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda
The sacred science by Swami Sri Yukteswar

Old 11-29-2007, 08:38 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,007 times
Cannot recall for the year. I travel by plane often, so I get a chance to read a good amount. Here are four from the last couple of months-
The Road, Cormac McCarthy- good short read, dark but touching
Sabbath's Theatre, Phillip Roth- pretty perverted but well written
Undaunted Courage- nonfiction account of Lewis/Clark into west. Good read.
1491- Nonfiction re-examination of what American cultures were like prior to Columbus.
I list these as the ones that stand out as the "most serious" in the past few months. I have also read a couple of unnotable pulp suspense and mysteries.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:17 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,010,360 times
I don't have the time to read much, however, I have been doing some reading lately. I know I am not the big book nook some of you are , maybe someday!

Here's what I have read lately (some still reading):

1. The Valley of Baca..Author: You know who you are! Wonderful book!! Be prepared for tears! Highly recommended!
2. A Handbook on Holy Spirit Baptism...Author: Don Basham
3. When God Doesn't Make Sense...Author: James Dobson (I'm still reading this one...highly recommended!)

Old 11-29-2007, 10:42 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
I was a Teen Librarian until recently, so for the most part, all I had time to read were young adult books. Some of them are actually really great, so I didn't mind too much! I've probably read 25+ books in the last year, so I'll just list 4 non-teen ones that come to mind...

1. Life Expectancy - Dean Koontz
2. Cell - Stephen King
3. Letter to a Christian Nation - Sam Harris
4. The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury (love re-reading the classics every so often)

Old 11-29-2007, 10:47 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
I don't have the time to read much, however, I have been doing some reading lately. I know I am not the big book nook some of you are , maybe someday!

Here's what I have read lately (some still reading):

1. The Valley of Baca..Author: You know who you are! Wonderful book!! Be prepared for tears! Highly recommended!
2. A Handbook on Holy Spirit Baptism...Author: Don Basham
3. When God Doesn't Make Sense...Author: James Dobson (I'm still reading this one...highly recommended!)
I too have read The Valley of Baca..A wonderful inspirational book, and I have passed one copy on.. The author is one amazing testimony of Gods will..

Old 11-30-2007, 09:51 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,010,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post

I too have read The Valley of Baca..A wonderful inspirational book, and I have passed one copy on.. The author is one amazing testimony of Gods will..
I agree 100%! Truly AMAZING!

Of course, there are tears that go along with the book, but very well worth it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality