Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:05 AM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times

Advertisements

The Blind Assassin-Margaret Atwood

East of Eden - John Steinbeck

Blindness - Jose Saramago (should be mandatory reading in every high school, college)

Am thinking of starting:

The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 10:19 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,885,467 times
Gizmo, I was a children's librarian until we had baby thirsty so all my favorites are young children's books. I tried to read a couple of books a week when I was working. I am lucky now if I read one a month now! I am a big fan of the public library though . I am currently reading Bad Girls of the Bible (LOVE IT, its for a Bible Study Class) and I Am America (and so can you)by the one and only Steven Colbert.
My favorite kids books are Bridge to Terebithia, The Westing Game (I LOVE THIS BOOK), and The Boxcar Children.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:30 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,715 times
I have not read through this thread...see...I don't even have time to read CD lately. Five kids and the holidays!!!! Can someone tell me why I gave up drinking? I sure could use it right now. LOL

I wanted to add Captivating to the list of possible reads for the women. I started a study group with it. Was never able to complete it, but it is a pretty quick read and I found it very interesting. It is written by John & Stasi Eldredge. For the men, there is Wild at Heart. My husband listened to that one on tape and has given it as gifts to several friends.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:39 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,670,005 times
Yesterday my best friend came over and gave me an early Christmas present. I was so very happy..here is what I got...

Breaking Free by Beth Moore
Jesus 90 Days with the One and Only by Beth Moore.

Now to find time...er..am making time...been wanting these for a while.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:14 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
So... what have you been reading this year?
Well, aside from the usual pile of Star Trek novels by my bedside, I *did* look at the Left Behind series, since I'd heard so much about them.

They're interesting books, with a well-designed plot, but I couldn't get 'in tune' with the characters; one character's marriage was on the rocks -- but the circumstances are never properly explained, which makes the introduction of his 'love interest' seem quite jarring and out-of-place.

The other, a journalist -- he's obviously talented, and has lots of connections (and rivals) in his particular field, but beyond that, we don't learn much else about him.

Another thing that got me was the dialogue: despite being involved in what some would consider the biggest spiritual experience in recorded history, the most I could get from the characters was a sense of mild curiosity -- a kind of 'hey, what gives?' that was really devoid of any emotional context.

Other than that, I read the late Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, a few pages of Batman: Knightfall (good book, *really* good book), and plenty of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (very entertaining, and *incredibly* funny).

Old 12-01-2007, 01:18 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,237,991 times
Originally Posted by FredNotBob
Quote:
a few pages of Batman: Knightfall (good book, *really* good book)
A book or comic?

Old 12-01-2007, 01:55 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by FredNotBob A book or comic?
It was originally a Batman comic mini-series, but it was turned into a novelized version some time ago.

It's an incredible read, and it really gets 'inside' Batman's mind, showing what separates him from everyday 'Bruce Wayne'.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:37 AM

Ah Okay. Kewl!

Old 12-01-2007, 03:24 AM

While I was visiting a website of one of my favourite Comic writer and writer of Star Trek Novels Peter David, I stumbled on this topic:
Quote:
Oh, the idiocy...the idiocy...
The majority of Star Trek fans are everything that the philosophy of IDIC could possibly want. But every so often, the exact sort of intolerance that is antithetical to the world of Trek rears its head. Witness the following letter to author Andy Mangels, and Andy's scathingly witty reply. Obviously, as the creator of the bi-sexed Burgoyne in "New Frontier," I've found the letter particularly interesting. Although the letter is reprinted with Andy's permission, I've taken the liberty of mercifully omitting the author's name.

PeterDavid.net: Oh, the idiocy...the idiocy...
I wonder if bigots view themselves as bigots, or if they are completely unaware that they are bigots.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:05 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
Gizmo, I was a children's librarian until we had baby thirsty so all my favorites are young children's books. I tried to read a couple of books a week when I was working. I am lucky now if I read one a month now! I am a big fan of the public library though . I am currently reading Bad Girls of the Bible (LOVE IT, its for a Bible Study Class) and I Am America (and so can you)by the one and only Steven Colbert.
My favorite kids books are Bridge to Terebithia, The Westing Game (I LOVE THIS BOOK), and The Boxcar Children.
You were a librarian too? I didn't know that! I read at least 1-2 books a week while at the public library, and we were required to review 2-3 a month (for the YA collection). But like I said, there are some wonderful Young Adult books out there, so I really didn't mind.

My area of "expertise" was in graphic novels, so I read tons of those... some favorites are Maus I & II by Art Spiegelman (amazing portrayal of the Holocaust), Pedro & Me by Judd Winick, and the Runaways series. As for non-graphic novels, I love the YA authors Karen Hesse, Walter Dean Myers, Patricia McCormick - and classics like J.D. Salinger, L.M. Montgomery, Christopher Pike, Madeleine L'Engle, Marguerite Henry, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality