Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 06:11 PM

174 posts, read 305,539 times

Advertisements

I am secure enough in my Christian beliefs to acknowledge that a fair percentage of Christians are nut cases and that there are certain segments of the religion where nuttiness flourishes like a tomato in Miracle Grow. I listen to American Family Radio ("Conservative Christian Talk Radio") almost daily to remind myself of this fact (although is some quality programming). However, this is true of any belief system, religious or secular, which attracts and encourages those with a fanatical mindset. I have participated in any number of Internet forums that were largely dominated by fanatics of one sort or another (including the old atheist-dominated FACTS forum) and come away thinking, "These folks are basically insane." Christianity is especially prone to this sort of thing in that the basic notion is that only we have a direct relationship with God and enjoy God's favor and that we are God's chosen agents to spread His message in a Devil-dominated world. Those with any sort of predisposition toward nuttiness can take this notion and run right off the cliff, with the world's laughter and derision serving only to validate that they are indeed God's agents in a Devil-dominated world. Others of us who likewise believe we are God's chosen agents in a Devil-dominated world nevertheless manage (most of the time) to avoid becoming cartoon figures.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:40 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,113,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Venerable Bede View Post
Others of us who likewise believe we are God's chosen agents in a Devil-dominated world nevertheless manage (most of the time) to avoid becoming cartoon figures.
That statement vaults you into the classification of cartoon character by many of the people here. I'm one of them.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:14 PM

641 posts, read 558,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
That statement vaults you into the classification of cartoon character by many of the people here. I'm one of them.
Seconded.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:18 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
I stand with my brother in Christ and Chief Justice of my state Supreme Court. Roy Rulz!
Colour me unsurprised.

Some moths are drawn to dim flames.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:22 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
I stand with my brother in Christ and Chief Justice of my state Supreme Court. Roy Rulz!
I'm only responding to you so that you know in no uncertain terms that I'm not taking the bait.

Nice try, but no cigar. Not even a cheap one from a convenience store.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:24 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Venerable Bede View Post
Others of us who likewise believe we are God's chosen agents in a Devil-dominated world nevertheless manage (most of the time) to avoid becoming cartoon figures.
*blink*

Check, please.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:34 AM

1,030 posts, read 840,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I'm only responding to you so that you know in no uncertain terms that I'm not taking the bait.

Nice try, but no cigar. Not even a cheap one from a convenience store.
OK!

Old 05-08-2014, 03:37 AM

1,030 posts, read 840,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Colour me unsurprised.

Some moths are drawn to dim flames.
Chief Justice Moore is simply applying the facts of our history to the document. What he stated was it's intended meaning when penned. Our enemies are using it to gain a position to take us out today. One must use logic, common sense, truth, historical fact and honesty to understand this. I know many will have trouble understanding.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:38 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Alabama’s chief justice: Buddha didn’t create us so First Amendment only protects Christians

The fact that this man is a judge at any level, much less on a state supreme court - much less that he is the Chief Justice of that court - is a complete travesty.

It is pathetic that the people of Alabama elected this man to any office (and it's ridiculous that we elect judges).

I certainly don't agree with the man on this particular , but he is elected by the people, and that us how all judges should be selected. It's political appointments that must be ended.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:39 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
*blink*

Check, please.
Don't forget to leave a tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.