Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:55 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Rationalization #2: This is evidence for a common Designer rather than common ancestors.
This is exactly the point. Yes---there is a common designer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 03:49 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
From the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The graphic says it all:

Attachment 131019

Someone tell me 1) When the evolution occurred from cat to tiger... and 2) Why it is not occurring right now since it's a natural process?

Old 06-06-2014, 03:55 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
From the OP...

Someone tell me 1) When the evolution occurred from cat to tiger... and 2) Why it is not occurring right now since it's a natural process?
Facepalm!!!!!

Old 06-06-2014, 04:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Evolution and God are quite compatible. The fact that DNA is basically written code points to a creator. Code doesn't just happen. Science says as much.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Facepalm!!!!!
Why? Wouldn't there be - at some point - half-breeds as evolution progressed.

I don't discuss this much - so I am asking a question on a low, bottom shelf level.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:35 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:

Come on, man... This is ridiculous. How could you take a stance on science with such a fundamental misunderstanding of it?

Cat - By "cat" I presume you to mean those animals that fall in the genus of Felidae of which several geniuses and species belong. I certainly hope you don't mean, "When did Mr. Whiskers, my felis catus, give birth to a Panthera Tigris ?"

The cat and the tiger are related in that they share the same Kingdom, phylum, subphylum, class, order, and family. In other words, the cat and the tiger are in the same family - Felidae. From there, they split with Mr. Whiskers belonging to the genus felis and the species felis catus with the tiger belonging to the genus Panthera and species of Panthera tigris.

Evolutionary theory proposes that we should see an ancestor of both the cat and the tiger that shares the characteristics of the FAMILY (Felidae) they both belong to. And, around 2-8 million years ago, we find that exact specimen in that of Pseudaelurus.

So, no, a cat never gave birth to a tiger. A tiger never gave birth to a cat.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Come on, man... This is ridiculous. How could you take a stance on science with such a fundamental misunderstanding of it?

Cat - By "cat" I presume you to mean those animals that fall in the genus of Felidae of which several geniuses and species belong. I certainly hope you don't mean, "When did Mr. Whiskers, my felis catus, give birth to a Panthera Tigris ?"

The cat and the tiger are related in that they share the same Kingdom, phylum, subphylum, class, order, and family. In other words, the cat and the tiger are in the same family - Felidae. From there, they split with Mr. Whiskers belonging to the genus felis and the species felis catus with the tiger belonging to the genus Panthera and species of Panthera tigris.

Evolutionary theory proposes that we should see an ancestor of both the cat and the tiger that shares the characteristics of the FAMILY (Felidae) they both belong to. And, around 2-8 million years ago, we find that exact specimen in that of Pseudaelurus.

So, no, a cat never gave birth to a tiger. A tiger never gave birth to a cat.
I understand. So what does being part of the same family have to do with evolution? That does not imply that both the cat and the tiger originate from the same animal millions of years ago. A cat could have always been a cat. A tiger could have always been a tiger. There's a big size difference between the two.

Some people say the cat and the tiger are from the same source. Some say that is not the case. Species are not evolving now. So where's the proof other than someone's word?

Old 06-06-2014, 06:29 PM

641 posts, read 558,010 times
Quote:
I understand. So what does being part of the same family have to do with evolution? That does not imply that both the cat and the tiger originate from the same animal millions of years ago. A cat could have always been a cat. A tiger could have always been a tiger. There's a big size difference between the two.

Some people say the cat and the tiger are from the same source. Some say that is not the case. Species are not evolving now. So where's the proof other than someone's word?
Ladies and gentlemen, American science education at its finest.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1 View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, American science education at its finest.
Should I just believe evolution because you or anyone else says so - even though none of you have ever seen it happen?

The fact that I don't believe evolution, is not a matter of science. The fact that you believe it has nothing to do with science. I did no experiments. I assume you did no experiments either.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:52 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
-
Quote:

Sigh.... you really are ignorant (as in not knowing) about science.

Scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality