Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 08:27 PM

20,104 posts, read 13,560,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
"Perfect" is hard to define. For example, in my description, a perfect person would not lose his temper, would not act on jealousy, wouldn't be vengeful. But maybe I got this expectation of perfection from the Bible? Although God IS all those things and yet considered to be perfect. So...it doesn't make sense.
Yeah, tell me about it.

Ultimately all religions have what we might call "disciplines" which they impose on their believers. These exist as part of the value proposition of the religion. These rituals and practices always have difficult or esoteric components to them which you then need religious doctrine / understanding / insight in order to deal with. If there was no "discipline" or requirements then what would keep you coming back to belong to the group, participate in it, give time and money to it, etc.? Try to imagine a religion that says you're okay as you are, your'e doing great, just keep on doing what your'e doing. People come to religions because they feel they can / should do better. Religion's whole purpose for existence is to tap into that discontent and fear and sell some sort of solution. All gods have demands that must be appeased.

I am not suggesting that it is 100% BS. There is a grain of truth in every error. As humans we have developed moral codes and agreements and obligations and responsibilities that require us to rise above many of our natural inclinations in order to cooperate effectively and accomplish collective goals. Self denial, following rules, developing good habits, are all good things, and all structure in society is not just a bunch of random oppression. But all these things have to be reality-based and directed, not at fulfilling the imagined requirements of the gods or the demands of dogma, but at facilitating beneficial human endeavor.

As you point out, being even-tempered, non-envious, and merciful are all things we should strive to be. The question is, are we striving to be those things because of god's command and to avoid god's punishment -- or because we actually have decided we want to and own that and take personal responsibility for it because we believe it is right and best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 11:01 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,424,287 times
Something I read today that reminded me of this thread, LW:

'Righteousness can never come from performance. Even absolute "perfection", whatever that might be, is incapable of generating righteousness. Perfection consists in returning to the pure ego­less state, wherein God is the only reality.'

As a former Christian, LW, You may find the entire article an interesting read, as I did: In The Garden - TOC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality