Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 11:31 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Domenic, it appears you have done a lot of thinking about this subject.

I believe some creatures are simply born homosexual, but, to be honest, I don't understand why and I have never heard a good explanation. It seems that homosexual creatures would have fewer offspring, which means that trait would gradually disappear if homosexuality is inherited. However, homosexuality has not disappeared, so there must be other reasons.

Maybe it is because one set of chromosomes determine if our bodies are male or female whereas other chromosomes determine our sexual preference. For example, maybe some people have chromosomes that give them a female body and other chromosomes that give them sexual desire for females, which makes them homosexual.

Does anyone have any ideas that have nothing to do with religion?
You are somewhat correct in that, if homosexuality was the norm, our species would not have survived. I don't know the answer, but here are a couple of points to consider:

- We don't know what proportion of sexual preference is inherited and how much is environmental
- It is possible for a trait to persist in a population if it is beneficial (or not harmful) to the population, even if it reduces an individual's chance of reproduction. Altruism is an example.

Perhaps we all have a gene that allows for homosexuality, and certain environmental cues, perhaps in childhood or even in the womb, determine whether it is expressed or not. Or perhaps there are multiple genes, that have to be present in the right combination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 11:36 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I'm afraid not. You see, it looks to me like a circular argument. Starting from the view that homesexuality is a sin, homosexuality comes out of sinning, and we know it comes out of sinning because it is a sin.

But I see nothing specific about it being a sin. One can make circumstantial arguments and find something in the OT (as though that wasn't discarded wholesale - including the 5th commandment - where it conflicted with the preferences of Christianity) and possible snarling by Paul. But that makes it no worse than any other of the sins - even the deadly ones like being too fond of grub.

This is no way justifies the song and dance that the religions are making about it, even if it is a sin - and I am not sure it is even mentioned as one.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:34 PM

472 posts, read 385,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I'm afraid not. You see, it looks to me like a circular argument. Starting from the view that homesexuality is a sin, homosexuality comes out of sinning, and we know it comes out of sinning because it is a sin.

But I see nothing specific about it being a sin. One can make circumstantial arguments and find something in the OT (as though that wasn't discarded wholesale - including the 5th commandment - where it conflicted with the preferences of Christianity) and possible snarling by Paul. But that makes it no worse than any other of the sins - even the deadly ones like being too fond of grub.

This is no way justifies the song and dance that the religions are making about it, even if it is a sin - and I am not sure it is even mentioned as one.
Did you read post #20 on this thread?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:57 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domenic View Post
I may have missed it But I'll look....Yes, did you read my #22? In which I replied to it and pointed out that just saying it is a sin does not make it one and nothing in your post #20 seems to have explained that it came from Sin (you just assume that at the outset) and just look in the Bible for stuff on sin which really is irrelevant, since you have not shown that homosexuality is sin, even on a level with - well lusting after hot chicks, hot curry and hot rods. let alone explaining where it came from in the first place, before anyone desided it was sin.

You could explain that, if you think I am missing something. And 'Everyone knows'....will not cut it, if you were thinking of using that one.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:33 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Domenic, your bible is just a nice fairy tale to us Atheists, so your post #20 is meaningless.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:42 PM

472 posts, read 385,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Domenic, your bible is just a nice fairy tale to us Atheists, so your post #20 is meaningless.
Okay.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:19 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,379,343 times
Quote:

Bearing false wittiness.
Did anyone else catch this?

Old 06-21-2014, 05:22 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,379,343 times
Is the OP saying that people are homosexual because they are Satan spawn?

Old 06-21-2014, 06:47 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Is the OP saying that people are homosexual because they are Satan spawn?
Not sure, it was sort of enunciated in a typical biblical riddle fashion.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:56 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,394 times
Can you please explain exactly what "Scrolls" you are using and where you got a hold of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality