Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 03:16 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
GEICO doesn't promote its insurance as hard as they promoted religion.
What, are you serious?

Nothing but nothing promotes itself more than GEICO. I swear I'm going to start hunting down every Gecko lizard I can get my hands on. Even the Catholic Church doesn't hire pilots to fly around trailing religious banners.

No way ... nope ... you're totally wrong about the Founders promoting religion more than GEICO promotes its religion. And they're only the -third- largest insurance company. Imagine the damage the largest company could inflict if it brought its resources to bear on advertizing?

You're totally off the reservation if you think the Founders beat out GEICO.

Ugh!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 03:40 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
What, are you serious?

Nothing but nothing promotes itself more than GEICO. I swear I'm going to start hunting down every Gecko lizard I can get my hands on. Even the Catholic Church doesn't hire pilots to fly around trailing religious banners.

No way ... nope ... you're totally wrong about the Founders promoting religion more than GEICO promotes its religion. And they're only the -third- largest insurance company. Imagine the damage the largest company could inflict if it brought its resources to bear on advertizing?

You're totally off the reservation if you think the Founders beat out GEICO.

Ugh!

Hey Shirina, GEICO should use the "Founders Technique": Go into a market that has different coverage or no coverage, and tell them, "convert to or purchase GEICO, you will be better off and happier. And if you won't/don't...woe is you".
OR
Have sample GEICO policies printed up...distribute them to all the public schools...and teach the students "this is what an insurance policy should say on it and in it".

Put a big painting in the Capitol rotunda, "Pocahontas Gets Insurance"...that shows Maxwell (or the Cavemen) giving Pocahontas a GEICO Insurance Policy for her horses.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Hey Shirina, GEICO should use the "Founders Technique": Go into a market that has different coverage or no coverage, and tell them, "convert to or purchase GEICO, you will be better off and happier. And if you won't/don't...woe is you".
OR
Have sample GEICO policies printed up...distribute them to all the public schools...and teach the students "this is what an insurance policy should say on it and in it".

Put a big painting in the Capitol rotunda, "Pocahontas Gets Insurance"...that shows Maxwell (or the Cavemen) giving Pocahontas a GEICO Insurance Policy for her horses.
LOL!

Just wait until they start erecting statues of George Washington riding a rearing Gecko lizard while the Caveman duels Flo with actuary tables.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:51 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,081 times
Quote:
LOL!

Just wait until they start erecting statues of George Washington riding a rearing Gecko lizard while the Caveman duels Flo with actuary tables.
The Caveman & Flo! They should work an angle off of that for advertising.
Better yet...I'll have my people do a version of it! Heeeeeeey....that's a great idea...that would sell for sure!! LOL!

Old 07-03-2014, 05:09 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,005 times
Quote:
This is just yet another case of religious whackos who think that their freedom to practice their religion is infinite - that they can impose their own personal, individual beliefs onto everyone within their sphere of influence. In this case, the employers are holding their employees' livelihoods hostage. "Either you obey my religion or else you can just find somewhere else to work."

So what does that mean? That a Muslim business owner can now require all women who work in his company to wear burqas? Hey! That's freedom of religion, is it not? Hell, religious business owners can even start discriminating against anyone they think aren't living the kind of life they "ought" to be living according to the employer's religion.

Essentially, this decision has weakened all past and future cases that stand against religion trying to creep into the business world - which is just as bad as religion creeping into government.
I hope you dont bring this type of logic to real life. You think that if a company does not buy you a condom you are being forced to have a dozen kids? How does not forcing a company to pay for your choices become forcing their choice on you?

NOTHING in the ruling prevents Hobby Lobby employees from using contraceptives or even from obtaing abortions if the choose. It only says their employer does not have to pay for services the are in conflict with their religious beliefs when that corporation is closely held as opposed to having a public board of directors elected by stockholders.

You seem to be clueless on the definition of freedom. It does not mean the right to make others do as you want them to, although that would make a lot of "progressive" behavior more acceptable if it did. but i digress. A Muslim business owner has the religious right to wear a burka if they choose or to pray as they see fit. Religious freedom does not allow that owner to force their employees to do the same or prevent them from doing the same. A comparable scenario to the Hobby Lobby ruling would be that the christian business owner is not required to buy burkas for their employees who choose to wear them or the muslim business owner is not required to buy rosaries for those employees who wish to wear a rosary.

I wont bother to address the nonsense about the need to keep religion out of business other than to say that has never been a function of the courts or government. To attempt that would be a violation of church as state as surely as installing a government department to train and license ministers.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:55 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,917,771 times
Quote:
Yeah, why bother having laws at all? Might as well do whatever feels good.
Hey, you grew up in the late 60's too?

Old 07-03-2014, 06:01 PM

618 posts, read 540,664 times
Hello all.

What about claiming that my business is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ, Scientist (i.e. the ironically named "Christian Scientists"). They don't believe in medical treatments at all. Can I then refuse to offer my employees any health coverage? What if my business is a Jehovah's Witness? Can I force my employees to work on federal holidays without compensation? They don't believe in secular holidays.

Heck, why not just make up my own anti-medicine religion for my company? While we're at it, my religion also opposes paid time off, time-and-a-half for overtime, and lunch breaks. Also life insurance and retirement plans...my god hates retirement plans!

Thanks.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:15 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
What about claiming that my business is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ, Scientist (i.e. the ironically named "Christian Scientists"). They don't believe in medical treatments at all. Can I then refuse to offer my employees any health coverage?
Yes, of course you can.

However, if you do refuse to offer your employees any kind of health coverage, our overbearing government will take you to court just like they did to poor Hobby Lobby.

Then you can hope the court decides in your favor.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:45 AM

301 posts, read 295,559 times
This decision has done nothing but open a big can of worms. Of all the people praising this decision of religious freedom can't wait until we get a major company that is owned by Muslim, Pagan, Witchcraft, heck, even a Satanic organization. While that last few are probably not going to happen anytime soon, but I bet there will be some Muslim companies using this and the concept of precedence and their "religious freedom" to force women or men working there to conform to their beliefs.

It's the same thing when Christians want Creationism taught in schools and rally to have stupid stickers on the front stating that it is just a theory and on par with Creationism. Once you get an area that is primarily Muslim, you will have the same sort of crap from their religion sneaking in to be taught as fact.

Christians are their own worst enemies and unfortunately we are all left to suffer.

BTW... everyone knows that Hobby Lobby used to offer contraception in their insurance plans back when it was optional. All they did is open the floodgates for every employer to dictate their religion onto the employees.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I hope you dont bring this type of logic to real life. You think that if a company does not buy you a condom you are being forced to have a dozen kids? How does not forcing a company to pay for your choices become forcing their choice on you?
Because the provision for contraception coverage under the Affordable Care Act is LAW. Someone's religious choices are not, nor is there a law stating others have to obey someone -else's- religious choices just because they happen to work for them. Few things are worse in a supposedly free and egalitarian society than religious exemptions from obeying the LAW.

And you thought -my- logic was bad? Holy damn ....

Quote:
NOTHING in the ruling prevents Hobby Lobby employees from using contraceptives or even from obtaing abortions if the choose. It only says their employer does not have to pay for services the are in conflict with their religious beliefs when that corporation is closely held as opposed to having a public board of directors elected by stockholders.
A business is a business is a business as far as I'm concerned. The moment you enter the public sphere, your -personal- lives should stay at home. Because I'll be damned if that's not precisely what the bosses tell their employees. I'm pretty well fed up with people acting like human roadblocks because of their superstitions.

Quote:
You seem to be clueless on the definition of freedom.
LOL! Yeah, here it comes ...

Quote:
Religious freedom does not allow that owner to force their employees to do the same or prevent them from doing the same.
The only thing a "closely held" Muslim business owner would have to say is that it's against his religion to be in the presence of uncovered women. And there you have it.

Quote:
A comparable scenario to the Hobby Lobby ruling would be that the christian business owner is not required to buy burkas for their employees who choose to wear them or the muslim business owner is not required to buy rosaries for those employees who wish to wear a rosary.
And just how far a journey do you think it would be for a "closely held" business to try and make employees adhere to a specific religion or religious principle - at least while on the clock or on the premisis? Such as wearing a burkha? Do you -honestly- think that's much of a leap? Now, I don't know if it'll be burkhas, but it'll be something. After all, employees who don't like it have the freedom to find another job.

Quote:
I wont bother to address the nonsense about the need to keep religion out of business other than to say that has never been a function of the courts or government. To attempt that would be a violation of church as state as surely as installing a government department to train and license ministers.
I never said the government needs to intervene to keep religion out of business. I just said that it needs to stay out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality