Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 07:28 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Another great quip from Arequipa...lol. Nothing fails quite like prayer is what I say..and then when it does, Christians can always go back to the same old apologetic nonsense I see on these forums all the time.
Thank you but as Smetana was eclipsed by Dvorak, Shirina...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 07:38 AM

17,810 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Thank you but as Smetana was eclipsed by Dvorak, Shirina...
I think Shirina's company should buy out this guy……..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVUfLJVSdjg

Old 08-04-2014, 10:05 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I think Shirina's company should buy out this guy……..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVUfLJVSdjg
ROFL!

That was awesome.

My people and his people are currently in negotiations for a merger. If so, then I'll be ready to announce the brand new Bird 'n Blood Prayer Kit allowing you to make your blood sacrifices while making yourself rich at the same time. It will completely redefine the nature of killing for money!

I bet you're all looking forward to such a product, and it'll be only 10 easy payments of $99.99. (I have to price these things a little high, because I wouldn't want the poor and the starving to actually have one of these devices - my goal is to make people who are already fairly well-off financially even more wealthy, not to solve world hunger or raise up the standard of living of 3rd World nations).

Old 08-04-2014, 11:18 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Oh, you mean like the Leviticus thing about homosexuals?

Regardless, funny that God would tell Moses to do such a strange practice, don't you think? Sort of like those Voodoo things from Haiti.
Well, we all know god failed science class
Otherwise, he would have had a better understanding of atomic theoriy, evolution, the big bang and geography/fluid dynamics (ie floodings).

Just sayin

Old 08-05-2014, 05:13 AM

618 posts, read 541,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Cupper 3...it's inaccurate to state this ceremony has anything to do with "How to cure lepers the biblical way." This was not a prescribed treatment for a cure because the afflicted individual was already considered "cured" as best the priests could determine.
Hello all.

It isn't that I don't understand the wackiness of the ceremony described in Leviticus 14, but hd4me makes a valid point above. The ritual does not proport to cure leprosy or mold. "Cleansing" is not "curing."

For the rules pertaining to an individual with a skin disorder or mold on a garment, go back a chapter to Levitucus 13. In short, the treatment was examination by the priest and possible quarantine. The same holds true for mold in a house in Leviticus 14. The person/garment/house would be subject to subsequent re-examination to see if the disease/growth had spread or if there were signs of recovery. Mold could be scraped away or otherwise removed in some cases. This was really the "cure" if you want to use that term. The ceremony involving the unlucky birds was to ritually cleanse the person or house after recovery. Once "clean," the person could then resume activities that he or she would have been barred from while "unclean."

It's legitimate to be critical, but one ought to be fair about it.

Thanks.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:11 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
Hello again Pastor Vizio.

Blood was sacrificed for sins. Blood sacrifice cured leperosy. Therefore, leperosy was caused by sin? If so, at what point did we transition from leperosy being caused by sin to leperosy being caused by a virus? Unless of course you don't think the word "leperosy" in your perfect and literal scripture actually means leperosy as we understand it, in which case I am curious as to what became of this sin-induced skin condition.

Thanks.
I've never suggested that leprosy was directly caused by sin. But making a sacrifice and appealing to God was how they were healed.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:20 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've never suggested that leprosy was directly caused by sin. But making a sacrifice and appealing to God was how they were healed.
So, do you think that should be the way we deal with it today? Or is modern medicine, based on science, the way to go? You know, the same science that tells us why evolution exists.

Why or why not?

Old 08-07-2014, 07:39 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
Quote:
So, do you think that should be the way we deal with it today? Or is modern medicine, based on science, the way to go? You know, the same science that tells us why evolution exists.

Why or why not?
I know you were not asking me, and I cannot answer for Vizio, nor would I want to, but today we treat leprosy with an orphan drug called Clofazimine.
Let me point out too that I have never ever seen a patient with Leprosy, not anywhere in my career. (Of course I have not traveled to India.)

In Biblical times, it was widely believed that "sin" caused disease. Even Jesus believed this, curing a man on the Sabbath and then telling him that if he sinned again, worse disease could happen. Many anthropological and historical references to the cause of disease exist, and are available for your reading pleasure. So yes, it was a very common belief at the time.

BUT This thinking has no place in the 21st century. We know now how diseases are caused, cured and sin has nothing to do with it. Read the medical journals as proof.

Of course, this will not sell Bibles or put butts in the pews, but it will lead to a better understanding of life and reality, and lead to a better lifestyle free of disease and illness, as we empower the self to sae the self, not appealing to mythic beings for mercy.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:40 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
So, do you think that should be the way we deal with it today?
Why would I? Again, this little thing called "context" rears its ugly head. You seem to constantly be tripped up by this idea...but you DO realize that no Christian alive today is living in ancient Israel, right? We are not commanded to do things the way the Jews were at that time.
Quote:

Or is modern medicine, based on science, the way to go? You know, the same science that tells us why evolution exists.

Why or why not?
Yes. We do like modern science -- including medicine. It's a gift from God.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:46 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why would I? Again, this little thing called "context" rears its ugly head. You seem to constantly be tripped up by this idea...but you DO realize that no Christian alive today is living in ancient Israel, right? We are not commanded to do things the way the Jews were at that time.

Yes. We do like modern science -- including medicine. It's a gift from God.
Good to hear pastor. Modern science is a wonderful thing, and has uncovered a lot of the mysteries of the universe. Like the age of it. Like evolution (which medicine depends on a LOT for it's pharmaceuticals), and giving us an insight what really happened in past and ancient times historically, and not based on ancient tales promulgated by the superstitious.

Your not one of those superstitious ones, are you? (Yeah, couldn't resist a little zinger )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality