Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 12:03 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Here's the VERY easy solution: don't have HBO or Showtime. Are those channels beamed into your home? Have a problem with them? Take responsibility on your end and cancel them.

Easy peasy.
So is that your answer? Don't like the idea of 23 year old teachers with students, the answer is that it's ok as long as I don't engage in such an act?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 01:18 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
I find it interesting as to how many female religious studies teachers have sex with their students.

Here are just two:

Ex-Stepinac teacher pleads guilty to raping student, 14

Religious Studies teacher Madeleine Martin jailed for sex with underage student | UK | News | Daily Express

These were not Muslims, Jews, Pagans, Buddhists or Scientologists. Just plain good ole' fashioned American christians. Living what they were preaching I suppose.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:21 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
There are quite a few harms if you made euthanasia legal. Here are some:

1. Emotional pain to love ones.
If I have terminal cancer and die now on my terms or six months from now on yours, my loved ones have the same emotional pain. I die either way. Except they get to watch me waste away and suffer and possibly have to foot the bill for expensive hopeless treatments.

Incurable but nonfatal illnesses are another story, arguably, but I think that most "loved ones" tend to act contrary to their rational self interest, preferring decades of agony on the part of the person they won't let go, and decades of expense for everyone, to being inconvenienced by the natural and ordinary process of death and dying, and healthy grieving of losses.
Quote:
2. Causing doctors to violate the Hippocratic Oath. Since they are now essentially causing harming, what is the next boundary to tear down? One only has to look at the horrific deeds of Nazi doctors to see how quickly immoral modern medicine can drift once the wheels come off the train.
Godwins law, proven again. Bring in the Nazis.

Doctors are ALREADY doing harm, in that they are denying the terminally and intractably ill their freedom of choice in how they conduct their lives, including the timing and manner of their death -- and by their inaction, condemning them to terrible suffering.
Quote:
3. Creates more complicated slippery slopes. Do you allow it only for those who can give consent? If no one has given consent, is it murder?
Of course it's only for those who can give consent. Or already have via living will and/or health care directives. There is already established precedent with "no extraordinary measures" and "do not resuscitate" directives and the like.
Quote:
4. Creates a slippery slope of consent. Where do you draw the line if it is legal? A person diagnosed with cancer doesn't want to suffer through the pain of treatment and wants to die. Should he have the right? If so, wouldn't it be wrong to force a doctor to kill his patient when there is treatment available?
Of course a person has the right to decide what treatment (if any) they will pursue. People decline treatment and/or are non-compliant with treatment protocols all the time. In such situations a doctor has the right to request that a liability waiver be signed, or not to provide services if he feels it's against his conscience. No one is contemplating forcing doctors to do anything. There are plenty of doctors who will be willing to provide new compassionate care options, and not all that many who will choose to end their lives.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I find it interesting as to how many female religious studies teachers have sex with their students.

Here are just two:

Ex-Stepinac teacher pleads guilty to raping student, 14

Religious Studies teacher Madeleine Martin jailed for sex with underage student | UK | News | Daily Express

These were not Muslims, Jews, Pagans, Buddhists or Scientologists. Just plain good ole' fashioned American christians. Living what they were preaching I suppose.
Because the Bible teaches us to have premarital sex with children? Is that what you think?

Old 09-12-2014, 01:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So is that your answer? Don't like the idea of 23 year old teachers with students, the answer is that it's ok as long as I don't engage in such an act?
The answer is YOU are responsible for YOUR actions. Something an amazing number of people manage to avoid doing. They're too preoccupied with gay sex, the neighbor who is having a couple of beers after work and telling women how to dress.

Statutory rape laws, employment contracts and lawsuits are how society deals with the 23-year old teacher.

If you've got HBO and you're worried about the national morality: cancel it. Write them a strongly worded letter saying you're taking responsibility for what is beamed into your home and you're unhappy with their product. Then stick the money you'll save into a college fund.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-12-2014 at 02:13 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The answer is YOU are responsible for YOUR actions. Something an amazing number of conservative Christians seem unwilling to take to heart. They're too preoccupied with gay sex, the neighbor who is having a couple of beers after work and telling women how to dress.

Statutory rape laws, employment contracts and lawsuits are how society deals with the 23-year old teacher.

If you've got HBO and you're worried about the national morality: cancel it. Write them a strongly worded letter saying you're taking responsibility for what is beamed into your home and you're unhappy with their product. Then stick the money you'll save into a college fund.
You seem pretty bent on telling us how to live. I find that interesting.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:30 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
You seem pretty bent on telling us how to live. I find that interesting.
This from a Christian pastor? Isn't your career all about telling people how to live?

Old 09-12-2014, 02:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
You seem pretty bent on telling us how to live. .
Unless you're independently wealthy and your children are assured of a GREAT education.... you should be listening. Yep. I tell people to sock money away for college.

My morality says educating kids is the right thing to do.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:46 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Because the Bible teaches us to have premarital sex with children? Is that what you think?
I was hoping for an erudite response. Alas, my hope was in vain.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
This from a Christian pastor? Isn't your career all about telling people how to live?
No. It really isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality