Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 05:59 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,931,574 times

Advertisements

Is there evidence of a sense of humor?

Or, is a sense of humor one of those adaptations seemingly making human beings more suitable if 'survival' is at least one of the objectives or goals of our continuing existence?

Or, ... anything else you'd like to share? Playful, serious & all responses in between appreciated! Thanks & respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 06:11 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,127,159 times
Is there any doubt?

Psalm 2:4 The One enthroned in heaven laughed

Old 10-31-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
Is there any doubt?

Psalm 2:4 The One enthroned in heaven laughed
Gorgeous evidence!

Old 10-31-2014, 06:37 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Since there is no practical difference between non-existent, absent, and indifferent gods, and the universe comports itself with what one would expect if one of those things were true, no ... I don't see anything humorous going on there.

Absurdity on the other hand abounds, but that is not the same thing. Although you can laugh at absurdity as well as at something genuinely funny. And laughter is generally the healthiest response (so long as it's not maniacal laughter).

Old 10-31-2014, 07:20 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,976 times
The Gods do not have time for trivialities like making merry. They have too many things to worry about.

For example:

God after reviewing the Prayer Statistics for 2013: "Now what the hell am I going to do.... down by 35%..... oy!!!

After fuming over it....."I guess I'll just have to teach them a little lesson down there..... then next time maybe they'll adore me and show me the love I really deserve.... aargh!"

Old 10-31-2014, 08:58 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Some of the gods in the Greek, Scandinavian and sometimes Roman panthenons seem to have occasionally played tricks on one another.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:19 PM

919 posts, read 848,949 times
Pedantic answer: depends on what you mean by "God", "sense of humor" and "has". We need to know what the definition of "is" is.
Having said that, anthropomorphic gods in Hindu mythology certainly do. In fact, a half-god Narada is famous for starting ish between gods by making them jealous and angry (always for the greater good, as it turns out.)
This does not apply to the formless attributeless Brahman that came into being through its own free will and embodies all of life.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Since there is no practical difference between non-existent, absent, and indifferent gods, and the universe comports itself with what one would expect if one of those things were true, no ... I don't see anything humorous going on there.

Absurdity on the other hand abounds, but that is not the same thing. Although you can laugh at absurdity as well as at something genuinely funny. And laughter is generally the healthiest response (so long as it's not maniacal laughter).
I think I get what you're saying. Personally, I think having a sense of humor has some pretty hefty 'survival' benefits. Having one has literally gotten me out of few sketchy scenarios, where, if I didn't have one - I'm uncertain what the outcome would've been.

& admittedly, this may have little or nothing to do with whether or not the Gods have a sense of humor, I'm curious is all.

For me? Long story short. I really like being alive, the 'good, bad & ugly' is all part of this life. I know, & evidence abounds, that 'no one gets out of here alive.' I'm uncertain what comes next, if anything. I like to imagine what the first inklings of humor were to our earliest ancestors. Maybe it was seen to be a gift of sorts? Like the use of fire? Anyway, just pondering these things, thanks for your insights, I appreciate.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
The Gods do not have time for trivialities like making merry. They have too many things to worry about.

For example:

God after reviewing the Prayer Statistics for 2013: "Now what the hell am I going to do.... down by 35%..... oy!!!

After fuming over it....."I guess I'll just have to teach them a little lesson down there..... then next time maybe they'll adore me and show me the love I really deserve.... aargh!"
Hah!

Old 11-01-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Some of the gods in the Greek, Scandinavian and sometimes Roman panthenons seem to have occasionally played tricks on one another.
I like the 'trickster' Gods & their stories. Also the idea of having many Gods & Goddesses seems to make more sense to me. Maybe because there is so much abundance & diversity of life here? It's hard to imagine one 'entity' having complete & total design & managerial control. It's hard to imagine no limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality