Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 12:08 PM

12 posts, read 26,540 times

Advertisements

How is it, that most religious people follow their religions blindly. It seems to me that most people that believe in there "higher powers" follow only because their parents were of that particular religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 03:14 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,476,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayzdvus View Post
How is it, that most religious people follow their religions blindly. It seems to me that most people that believe in there "higher powers" follow only because their parents were of that particular religion?
Yep, there's a lot of truth in that, which is why you can almost divide the world up into religious "sections". Religion is also usually dictated by the winner's of wars. This is a pretty cool slideshow of how religion has changed
(geographically) over the centuries. It gives a pretty good visualization of how fickle people are.

http://www.mapsofwar.com/images/Religion.swf

Old 12-15-2007, 09:32 PM

599 posts, read 1,262,444 times
Well, as a Christian, I would disagree that most religious people follow their religion "blindly". First of all, with me anyway, it isn't a case of what religion I am, but of my personal relationship with God. If you are an unbeliever and have never experienced a relationship with the Lord, you cannot know what it is like so to you it may appear that one is just following their religion blindly...I can assure you though that that is not the case, at least with me.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:57 PM

206 posts, read 578,779 times
It really is amazing though how many people in the United States claim a personal relationship with God, and how many people in Muslim countries claim a personal relationship with Allah, and I am sure that people in ancient Egypt commonly claimed to have a special relationship with Ra and so forth and so on.

I had a friend of a friend a while back (I didn't know her all that well personally, though my friend did. We all used to post at several of the same forums, talk on IM, etc.) who often made very emotional statements about her personal relationship with Jesus.

She eventually became an Agnostic, and is still one as of the last I heard from her. People can say things like "She never really had a personal relationship with Jesus."

I tend to turn a critical eye not on her original statement, but on the statement in general. Do I think people can form a very strong psychological attachment to the concept of a deity? Yes I do.

Do I think that people claiming such means that the deity itself exists? No.

I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything, but people can convince themselves of some very strange things. If it is a small group, it seems to often be called a cult. If it is a mainstream group, it is often called a religion.

So, while I am sure people who make those sorts of claims of personal relationships with deities believe that they are telling the unvarnished truth as they know it, I don't view it as being particularly strong evidence, especially for having seen not only someone come out of that sort of core belief, but seen the sort of emotional trauma that resulted from doing so.

I find it hard to believe that the person I knew didn't hold that personal relationship she described any less near or dear than those people I hear claiming similar on a regular basis.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:59 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,476,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
Well, as a Christian, I would disagree that most religious people follow their religion "blindly". First of all, with me anyway, it isn't a case of what religion I am, but of my personal relationship with God. If you are an unbeliever and have never experienced a relationship with the Lord, you cannot know what it is like so to you it may appear that one is just following their religion blindly...I can assure you though that that is not the case, at least with me.
So I guess when I was younger, thought I had a relationship with the 'Lord', and believed in him/her/it that it was just a false sense of security?? Oh, of course it was, I was just following what I was told was the truth.

I've dealt with the 'Lord'. I've eliminated "him" completely from my life and I've never felt better.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:28 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,551,568 times
Seems to me that anyone with "blind faith" may be going along with whatever his church leaders or his religion tell him without doing a little homework on his own..I guess it could also be called "Blind Trust"..

Old 12-16-2007, 02:08 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,255,238 times
I think that people who rely too much on their faith become blind to reality, the same way a scientists relies too much on his abstract theory also becomes blinded by faith because he only relies on his abstract theory.
I think Einstein said it best:
Quote:
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.
and
Quote:
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
and
Quote:
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein, "Science, Philosophy and Religion: a Symposium", 1941
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Old 12-16-2007, 03:27 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,211,930 times
Blind faith, yes. That's is the foremost characteristic of religion. Also, blind to reality. This is very noticeable on many of the forums.
The "relationship to god or Jesus" is mentioned often, but no one can explain that or any other concept of faith.
It could also be like a young child who invents imaginary playmates and talks to them. These imaginary playmates are eventually replaced by the idea of god in adulthood.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:55 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,589,564 times
I agree with Deb in Va,you are not walking blindly in faith when you have a personal relationship with God. He is in your heart and mind and you thirst for knowledge about Him. The ones who are going through the motions of Christianity to please others or it is expected of them or are not deep-rooted into His word but just reading words from the Bible I would consider blind faith.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:21 AM

14,969 posts, read 9,871,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayzdvus View Post

Human culture is based upon legacies of many things... including faith. Our education systems has foundtional merit based upon previous intellectual accomplishments, which provides basic building blocks for continued learning. To dismiss parental guiding as deficient or false and call it "blind"is to think like a teenager... and therefore all parental legacies are in some way tarnished by there mere fact that it comes from them. That is completely antidotal... and false.

I would suggest that Judeo/Christian beliefs are in fact, the foundational component for intellectual/cultural development. Not only has our culture developed, but because of Judeo/Christian faith, many other non believing nations are "enabled" to grow economically, socially, culturally and intellectually. China and India are examples of struggling societies that are dependant on Judeo/Christian values... given to us by God and passed on to our children.

Atheistic soceity can claim it success in communism. A failed man made form of government riddled with lazy corrupt individuals, that has left a legacy of pain and desperation. If it not were for the faith based people in society this world would be a sewer of human carnage... with many serving the few. Certainly faith based people can not claim cultural nirvana, but as our Judeo/Christian faith diminishes so does society.

Show me one example of a non believing society that has reached out to help others, and grew as a nation, that has left a legacy of goodness.

I thank God for my parents everyday and that God choose them, to give to me, what many would destroy... my faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality